Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: ccw change to revolver (S&W 327PC)

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I know you don't need my backup, but I reached the same conclusion. In my case files, there are multiple examples of people who lost trying to get an empty chamber pistol into working condition and couldn't do it in time. One that particularly stands out was a veteran meeting up for a Craigslist-type transaction who became physically entangled with two attackers and was killed with the pistol in his hand inoperative. I've got several instances of (almost always no-holster, but at least one with-a-holster) folks who blew holes in their groin/thigh area with appendix carry striker fired guns. I have zero instances of someone shooting themselves in the same manner with a revolver, nor do I have any who lost because their revolver didn't hold enough ammunition.

I'm sure you get the same pushback of "but sights and trigger and capacity and..." but my numbers show missing still works better than pulling an inoperative handgun and capacity is much less of a factor than is commonly assumed.
    There is that actual experience thing. Many of us have seen tons of problems with folks carrying inappropriate firearms with their level of training and familiarity. The reality is the efficient accessibility combined with being reliable in very unconventional circumstances not likely found on a square range is what tends to win the day.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I have a small X/S dot on mine and it works well. Mine is usually carried in a fanny pack, but I am trying to get a minimalist shoulder rig done now specifically for driving.
    Hey, just wanted to follow up on this comment you made about your 327. Did you put in the X/S dot or have it done by sending it somewhere? Is there an off the shelf X/S small dot that will fit the 327? Are you still regulated for the 148/158 range ammo?

When I search the XS site for an N-frame compatible, I get this: "XS currently does not offer a sight solution for S&W revolvers with a factory front dovetail cut."

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.
    Last edited by Speederlander; 06-24-2019 at 12:34 AM.

I bought the gun from an X/S employee who got hired as a cop and was headed to the academy to help him with some funds. I originally didn’t even want the gun but fell in love with it. The sight was likely custom fit.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    I bought the gun from an X/S employee who got hired as a cop and was headed to the academy to help him with some funds. I originally didn’t even want the gun but fell in love with it. The sight was likely custom fit.
    Ah, ok. Thanks. I was quoted a fairly high price to get replacement front sight done by Cylinder and Slide so I was curious if alternatives existed.

Earlier in the thread, it was suggested that a pair of J-frames made more sense than a 327pc for the average person. My question is how much more shootable is this lightweight N-frame than the J? What are the use cases where a larger 2-bad guy gun makes more sense than 2 smaller 1-bad guy guns?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I know you don't need my backup, but I reached the same conclusion. In my case files, there are multiple examples of people who lost trying to get an empty chamber pistol into working condition and couldn't do it in time. One that particularly stands out was a veteran meeting up for a Craigslist-type transaction who became physically entangled with two attackers and was killed with the pistol in his hand inoperative. I've got several instances of (almost always no-holster, but at least one with-a-holster) folks who blew holes in their groin/thigh area with appendix carry striker fired guns. I have zero instances of someone shooting themselves in the same manner with a revolver, nor do I have any who lost because their revolver didn't hold enough ammunition.

I'm sure you get the same pushback of "but sights and trigger and capacity and..." but my numbers show missing still works better than pulling an inoperative handgun and capacity is much less of a factor than is commonly assumed.
    Slightly off topic but I'm reading the Zero Fail book about the Secret Service. It discusses when Squeaky Fromme tried to shoot Gerald Ford. She had a 1911 in an ankle holster, unchambered. When she drew, it was slow from the ankle and went for the rack, an agent had time to grab it and stop the action.

Another interesting point was that after the attempts from the line, the Service did exercises simulating someone, drawing and shooting from the greeting line. The protective agents knew there was going to be an attack and even the person who would do, despite that when they got to the person and acted, the person got off two shots before being grabbed. Note, they could not pre-emptively grab him or her as they wouldn't know who the person was i

Quote Originally Posted by JWH View Post
    Earlier in the thread, it was suggested that a pair of J-frames made more sense than a 327pc for the average person. My question is how much more shootable is this lightweight N-frame than the J? What are the use cases where a larger 2-bad guy gun makes more sense than 2 smaller 1-bad guy guns?
    I have that revolver and the barrel length for mine leads to dismal ballistics.

I would absolutely do two LCR9s over the 327PC. Similar shootability at similar ballistics.

If you can even get a slighter longer barrel like the 2.5” night guard, you can then get ballistics like a P365.

Wow, lots of great insight, experience and wisdom. Love this place! I really wish “they” as in the great revolver makers would come out with some great stuff. I would love a “PD” style fixed sight K frame with great out of box trigger, no dumb safety. Think outside the box a bit like Taurus no view, nice concept, wrong caliber, would be great if S&W qualityand 9 or 10 rounds of .22LR or WMR or .32.

For,semis, love the LEM, Walther AS, DAK and P250 DAO. The DAK would have been so much better with a shorter second reset point in my humble opinion.

User Tag List