Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ccw change to revolver (S&W 327PC)

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    That is actually his problem and not yours. I see a metric ton of folks who do not have the training time and familiarity to pass the DB standard of both SAFELY and CORRECTLY performing a loaded chamber verification check 100% of the time.
    I heard you cover that in the podcast, which I enjoyed listening to.

You don't feel that when someone says they don't feel comfortable with a loaded chamber, we shouldnt talk about training and instead talk about everyone's favorite subject, which new gun to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    So what is your opinion on it? How does it hold up? Are there N-frame DAO hammers available?
    I guess for a supersized pocket gun, its too wide & heavy? Is AWIB even possible?
    Any holsters you recommend? Grips (as the S&W ones seem too long)?

THANKS!!!
    I think between the very rotund diameter and very short, stubby barrel that it wouldn't work very well for anything IWB, but especially bad for AIWB.

If you're set on that gun, I'd say try appendix OWB instead. Get something with a very slight recline angle, almost like a crossdraw holster but not as aggressive, and try it anywhere between 1-2:30 O'clock on the waist...….if OWB works for your clothing choices, that is.

Otherwise, I think a K-frame would be a better solution for IWB.

YMMV.
    Last edited by TGS; 06-16-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

As far as the 327. I absolutely love mine, and I tried very hard not to. Great gun for the Speer Short barreled gold dot load. It is still light, so don’t go crazy on loads. I have a small X/S dot on mine and it works well. Mine is usually carried in a fanny pack, but I am trying to get a minimalist shoulder rig done now specifically for driving.
    How did you get the small XS dot on the 327? I was told the front sight dovetail is completely custom for that gun and I would need to do significant work to get a different sight on it.

Also, who is doing your shoulder rig, if you don't mind saying?
    Last edited by Speederlander; 06-16-2019 at 02:56 PM.

As far as the 327. I absolutely love mine, and I tried very hard not to. Great gun for the Speer Short barreled gold dot load. It is still light, so don’t go crazy on loads. I have a small X/S dot on mine and it works well. Mine is usually carried in a fanny pack, but I am trying to get a minimalist shoulder rig done now specifically for driving.
    Not sure where you're getting it from, but I had an Andrews Solo shoulder rig that was excellent with a Kahr K40. Weights are quite similar.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Thank you. This was a great post.

That is actually his problem and not yours. I see a metric ton of folks who do not have the training time and familiarity to pass the DB standard of both SAFELY and CORRECTLY performing a loaded chamber verification check 100% of the time. This includes everything from novices to those participating in competitive shooting sports. Keep in mind that most of the United States military carried chamber empty as do most foreign military. People forget that the Glock was never designed to be carried with a round chambered. I have pontificated forever that for those who carry Chamber Empty should be carrying a revolver.

Self evaluation of YOUR needs is something I preach. Good on you for clearly defining your needs and making a decision based on your daily reality and mindset.

Site Supporter
    Does the 327 have a Titanium cylinder ? If so one needs to be very careful not to damage the clear coat finish in during cleaning and maintenance. Along those lines, it seems to be a carry a lot, shoot very little gun like the OP’s 342. Not very durable.

Also agree with TGS that the stubby barrel and wide cylinder will make it carry poorly IWB/AIWB.

A current production 3” M66 seems to be a better stand in for a G19 as a general purpose gun and the slightly longer barrel will allow it to carry and conceal much better IWB/AIWB.

That is actually his problem and not yours. I see a metric ton of folks who do not have the training time and familiarity to pass the DB standard of both SAFELY and CORRECTLY performing a loaded chamber verification check 100% of the time. This includes everything from novices to those participating in competitive shooting sports. Keep in mind that most of the United States military carried chamber empty as do most foreign military. People forget that the Glock was never designed to be carried with a round chambered. I have pontificated forever that for those who carry Chamber Empty should be carrying a revolver.

Self evaluation of YOUR needs is something I preach. Good on you for clearly defining your needs and making a decision based on your daily reality and mindset.

Do you mean the .38spc load or the newer .357 short barreled load? I think it's rated to 1kfps?

A 3" 66, new or old, is a great choice, a 3" 65 is even better bc the rear sight doesn't dig into your skin IWB.

It depends on how much you're sitting vs standing. For appendix carry, a 1 7/8" gun is way way better for long drives, etc. If you're not sitting for long periods, a 3" gun has a lot of advantages. I have a few 2.5" J-frames (made briefly around 2010-2011) and that's what I often split the difference with. A lil more sight radius and velocity, doesn't poke my thigh as much when I drive the way a 3" gun does.

Dagga Boy is right on about the Speer 135 load. It's overall probably the best but there are several other good loads that give you decent penetration and expansion and are loaded a shitton hotter than wadcutters (which tend to sulk out of short barrels around 700 fps or sometimes less). I have shot plenty of the Buffalo Bore 150 HC wadcutters but they penetrate more like a woods carry load than an urban load. 135 gold dots, the 158 soft case LHP buffalo bores, 125 golden sabers, there are a ton of proven options. You kinda have to buy a box of each and find what shoots to point of aim in your particular gun before you get married to one particular type of ammo.
    Last edited by CTX44; 06-16-2019 at 03:39 PM.

If I were looking at a revolver for my primary carry, I would definitely take a look at the 3" Kimber K6s.

2 less rounds but no hillary hole, far more concealable, about the sake weight, no ti cylinder maintenance concerns.

Site Supporter
    Keep in mind that most of the United States military carried chamber empty...
    Just nitpicking here...that's true inside the wire. Outside the wire, the first thing you do is chamber a round. My last deployment was '03-'04 and that was SOP.

User Tag List