Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ccw change to revolver (S&W 327PC)

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post

Why not all the time? Highly trained members of the warrior class of America? Did you trust everybody you served in the highly trained professional military to carry and utilize semi auto pistols condition one at all times? Bet you have NEVER seen a round fired into a unloading barrel ever because....military with far more training than most of the country’s firearms carriers.

Did everyone in the military? From the time we began issuing the semi auto pistol back at the beginning of the 20th century a VAST majority of the time a vast majority of our Warrior class soldiers have not carried condition one. As a matter of fact, throughout the history of the modern military since it began issuing semi automatic pistols (so they should have it figured out pretty well), those needing a handgun capable of being fired immediately (military police, base guards, pilots, etc.) were specifically issued revolvers when a quite capable semi automatic was readily available.
    I can't say. I can say that all firearms carried on duty in DC in the USMC Security Forces in the early 2000s had a loaded chamber. From what I heard from friends at other duty stations in security forces is that they did the same.

While in the Fleet we did the same while CONUS if we were on guard duty. I cannot speak for MPs or any other branch.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    so it's back to the revolver or condition 1 pistol, yet again.

personally prioritize, think it over well, and you'll know what compromise is better for you.
    It really comes down to this, semi automatic pistols are not for everyone and revolvers are not for everyone. One requires less manipulations to stay in a fight and the other has a much simpler and has a much more forgiving of mistakes manual of arms. You will only be as good as the training you will put into it, and how good that training is. One will not automatically make you a gunfighter, nor disqualify you. Pick whichever one fits YOUR needs and simply do the work. Personally, I think non chambered carry is a piss poor practice. By the same token, carrying a condition one semi auto pistol because other people think you should and you are not comfortable with it is a piss poor practice.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

It really comes down to this, semi automatic pistols are not for everyone and revolvers are not for everyone. One requires less manipulations to stay in a fight and the other has a much simpler and has a much more forgiving of mistakes manual of arms. You will only be as good as the training you will put into it, and how good that training is. One will not automatically make you a gunfighter, nor disqualify you. Pick whichever one fits YOUR needs and simply do the work. Personally, I think non chambered carry is a piss poor practice. By the same token, carrying a condition one semi auto pistol because other people think you should and you are not comfortable with it is a piss poor practice.
    your details fully explain my position - i could not have said it better.

each of us needs to assess personal abilities and weapon carry needs, then choose wisely. this is where too many fail on one or more accounts, and it can become a liability for both them and others. it can take some effort to know thyself.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I can't say. I can say that all firearms carried on duty in DC in the USMC Security Forces in the early 2000s had a loaded chamber. From what I heard from friends at other duty stations in security forces is that they did the same.

While in the Fleet we did the same while CONUS if we were on guard duty. I cannot speak for MPs or any other branch.
    Good thing those DC Marines are capable of handling those firearms at a 100% rate of success.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.wa...outputType=amp

My point is not to pick on the USMC. My point is that if a citizen self determines that they want to carry a firearm that they feel is more within their capabilities of risk/cost, and that they are more confident with based on their training and world, then I am not one to label them some sort of special needs. Bad stuff happens all the time to both our soldiers and first responders who are supposed to be highly trained (everyone I have ever met from both groups has been happy to tell me that they are not in need of basic firearms training) screw up regularly. The risks to a citizen who makes these same mistakes is far worse as far as both civil and criminal liability.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 06-16-2019 at 07:44 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Back on track....for the OP and others. I often say that a 3” medium frame revolver is a wonderful choice for the actual needs and abilities of most of America.

Back on track....for the OP and others. I often say that a 3” medium frame revolver is a wonderful choice for the actual needs and abilities of most of America.

Yup, either a 3” M65 or a M66 (or an M19 or M13) would do nicely for most anyone, and this thread needs pictures

Last edited by oregon45; 06-16-2019 at 07:55 PM.

Model13 dream

I dream of a 3"model 13 with a covered hammer(centennial style) and a scandium frame housing a titanium 6 shot cylinder.. I be happy forever.

No arguments there. It is what I carry.

I have no problem acknowledging NDs in the service, especially the Marines. They can be boneheads.

One thing I have seen while working at a range is someone racking the slide, ejecting the magazine, then thinking it empty pulls the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Yup, either a 3” M65 or a M66 (or an M19 or M13) would do nicely for most anyone, and this thread needs pictures
    Name:  Resized_20190603_171019.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  100.1 KB

Really comfortable gun to carry aiwb in a jmcustom aiwb holster and very easy to shoot fast and accurately

I have no experience with the 327PD but very similar, I've carried daily a 329PD for over 2 1/2 years so here is my take on it.

Aiwb is fine for me, standing. Not so fine sitting/driving long term. A t-shirt covers that easy.
    Iwb at 3-4 o'clock is fine for me sitting, standing doesn't matter. I need holster cant in that position otherwise the grips tent out my shirt too much.
    Owb, with a scandium N-frame you can get away with a lot that would be problematic carrying a steel gun ie the gun is so light that flop, tilt isn't an issue with the "high & tight" holsters.
    The Safariland 567 works killer with these guns for a lot of uses, the number of attachments available let you adjust ride height quite a bit, use a paddle, put it on a 2" belt, a pack belt, etc. Under a large shirt this holster will conceal if need be.
    Safariland Comp I speedloaders work for me, in the stupid simple CD-2 carriers that are very secure even tho they don't look it. Buy a bunch of them and clip 'em everywhere : )
    Grips/stocks are very subjective but I'm attached to Pachmyer Grippers for everything double action and they are smaller sized.

My take is that anybody that carries a full size semiauto can also carry a 4" N-frame. But I'm self employed and work outside so my dress code is whatever I want it to be.
    Hopefully something in there will be helpful to you if you go with that gun.

User Tag List