Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ccw change to revolver (S&W 327PC)

ccw change to revolver (S&W 327PC)

Hi!
    I listened to the P&S modcast and realized the guys there are describing me. Irrational fear of an ND/AD, which could mean I loose
    everything (job, relationship, ccw permit, maybe even life?). So, after having condsidered a Sig 365 with manual safety, I will change
    from a G19, carried AIWB with an empty chamber, to a revolver. Thanks for making up my mind, especially DB!

However the only revolver I have is a S&W 342, which I really love, but as a primary, I wish it had a bit more power. 8 rds of .357
    seems to better compensate the Glock 19 (although I may carry it with Federal HST .38 or even wadcutters).

So, since a gundealer has one at a fair price, any S&W 327PC user experiences would be greatly appreciated.
    Looking at the reviews, most see it as a novelty:

So what is your opinion on it? How does it hold up? Are there N-frame DAO hammers available?
    I guess for a supersized pocket gun, its too wide & heavy? Is AWIB even possible?
    Any holsters you recommend? Grips (as the S&W ones seem too long)?

THANKS!!!
    Last edited by overton; 06-16-2019 at 11:16 AM.

The empty chamber thing means there's bigger issues than "which gun".

Maybe. But that doesn't help when my time is up before I end my psychoanalysis.
    I think the P&S modcast has helped me to be honest to myself.

N Frame cylinder is fat at 1.710” in diameter.

Any gunsmith worth his salt should be able to bob and DAO a Smith revolver.

Holster availability is poor.

Despite the N sized frame you still only have a 23oz gun. That will not be pleasant with Magnum loads.

Have you considered the New York Reload and just carrying a second J? Perhaps a S&W 60 PRO aiwb with 342 in a pocket? The weight would be the same as the 327 but much slimmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I carry revolvers more often than autos for the same reason--they can be appendix carried with a higher level of feeling safe (bc the gun is pointed at your femoral artery when you sit). Another reason is that a round butt revolver is way easier to hide than most autos. Even in relatively tailored clothing, a round butt revolver tucked at 1 o'clock simply does not print. That little bit of grip curve makes all the difference. Square butt revolvers print almost the same as autos. The grip length is not an issue--on both my j- and k-frames, as long as they are round butt, the grip length is not an issue--I use 3 finger grips on everything, usually Ahrends, but also Altamonts. For my hand size and shape the Ahrends direct the gun exactly to my natural point of aim (though they hurt with hot loads). You might have to experiment.

I use a belt clip on all my revolvers--other people might like thin holsters--and keep speed strips in my right pocket. If wearing looser clothes I'll carry speed loaders in my right pocket. This system allows me to grab my revolver and ammo when I grab my truck keys, as I'm walking out of the house, rather than having to belt on a holster. This means I am carrying more often, even if I'm just wearing gym shorts.

You will find that wooden grips are a little less comfy to shoot, but also help to eliminate printing. Rubber grips print like crazy bc they grab clothes and lift them.

When I appendix carry (most of the time), I carry a j-frame or sometimes a k-frame. For appendix carry the hammer needs to be bobbed or it will dig into your belly when you sit. I'm 5'9, 175, athletic build. Not sure I could carry an N-frame appendix. But a bobbed hammer K-frame is definitely do-able.

For anything other than appendix carry, you don't need the bobbed hammer. Otherwise, you do. I bob them myself with a Dremel cut off wheel, then hit them with a Dremel stone wheel to smooth them, then a little cold blue (which actually goes on better if you warm the metal with a cigarette lighter first).

Welcome to your life getting easier!

Quote Originally Posted by overton View Post
    right now you're searching for hardware solutions for software problems. What experience/training have you had that would make you feel that carrying unloaded gun was safest for you.
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 06-16-2019 at 12:08 PM.

A part of me really, really wants the revolver you mentioned.

As a fellow 342 carrier, I just followed Hizzie's line of those and carry a second J-frame, I got a PowerPort 642.

I have that gun.

TK Custom installed their competition hammer/trigger (I splurged, this wasn't necessary...), did a lock delete/plug and an action job. I highly recommend them. They are fast and do a good job.

Milt Sparks has an IWB holster for that specific gun, but it isn't AIWB. I have one on order.

There are a few AIWB options. I will have to dig a bit.

I carry the buffalo bore 38 special wadcuters or federal match wadcutters. In my opinion it isn't a magnum gun any more than the j-frames. The benefit is the 8 rounds. You could alternately carry a pair of j-frames and get 10 rounds plus a back-up gun, but your weight is up, your recoil is a good deal more assuming you go a pair of airweights, and you have to be disciplined to carry both guns.

I have Nill combat grips on mine and love them. Really nice grips.

Have you thought about a DA/SA auto? Something like a px4cc or 92 LTT might be what your looking for...

I love my jframe for backup and shorts gun, but I’m not sure I’d pick a larger revolver over a DA/SA or DAO auto.

If I did, I think that I’d stick to an sp101 or K frame.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    The empty chamber thing means there's bigger issues than "which gun".
    That is actually his problem and not yours. I see a metric ton of folks who do not have the training time and familiarity to pass the DB standard of both SAFELY and CORRECTLY performing a loaded chamber verification check 100% of the time. This includes everything from novices to those participating in competitive shooting sports. Keep in mind that most of the United States military carried chamber empty as do most foreign military. People forget that the Glock was never designed to be carried with a round chambered. I have pontificated forever that for those who carry Chamber Empty should be carrying a revolver.

Self evaluation of YOUR needs is something I preach. Good on you for clearly defining your needs and making a decision based on your daily reality and mindset.

As far as the 327. I absolutely love mine, and I tried very hard not to. Great gun for the Speer Short barreled gold dot load. It is still light, so don’t go crazy on loads. I have a small X/S dot on mine and it works well. Mine is usually carried in a fanny pack, but I am trying to get a minimalist shoulder rig done now specifically for driving.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 06-16-2019 at 01:21 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List