Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Bergara in the house

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    Here is an article on Bergara barrels. Ed Shilen helped to set up their barrel production.

https://www.ammoland.com/2015/12/mak...#axzz5veEuJ3sn

Gread read. Thanks.

It looks like my understanding of their honing process was not 100% accurate. That cleared it right up.

The accuracy you are getting from a factory gun is very impressive. If they are building barrels based on Ed Shilen's input, they are doing a good job executing. It looks like a cost effective way to get into an accurate rifle. I am use to the old way of getting a Rem 700 action trued and a custom barrel installed and putting into a bedded stock. Begara seems to make all that unecessary.

Site Supporter
    If you watch the Bergara store - they sometimes have great deals on barrel. I have picked up two Bergara AR 20 inch 223 barrels very cheap. Built one other is in reserve.

I have an early Bergara HMR 6.5CM that shoots well - lot of rifle for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    The accuracy you are getting from a factory gun is very impressive. If they are building barrels based on Ed Shilen's input, they are doing a good job executing. It looks like a cost effective way to get into an accurate rifle. I am use to the old way of getting a Rem 700 action trued and a custom barrel installed and putting into a bedded stock. Begara seems to make all that unecessary.
    This thread is about my coyote gun.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ergara-B14-HMR

Both of mine are bedded and free floated from the factory. I have had a Tikka T3 and my sample of one did not hold a candle to Bergara.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 08-04-2019 at 11:53 AM.

A couple more notes about my Bergaras.

First, my B14 Ridge is pillar bedded, but not glassed. My B14 HMR is pillared and glassed from the factory. Both are free floated.

Second. Bergara says in their manual that traditional barrel break-in is not required due to the honing process, but if you choose to, knock yourself out. In both of my rifles, I said to hell with it and just ran them like normal. I patched out the barrels prior to shooting the first shot, then shot them 50 times each without cleaning at all. On the first cleanings, I used Montana Extreme bore cleaner. Two wet patches followed by a 15-minute "soak", then 15 strokes with a wet nylon brush, one wet patch, and three dry patches. In both cases that is all it took to get the barrel completely clean. On Savages I have owned, (10's, 12's, 110's, and 111's), I have had to repeat that complete process more than a dozen times to get it clean. Howa, more than 5 cycles. Remington Seven and 700, Tikka T3 and Ruger M77 Mk2 four times each. I have a Browning A-bolt Micro Medallion in .284 Winchester that is an absolute copper mine. I don't know if the patches will ever stop coming out blue, even after stroking a whole tub of JB's bore paste through it.

I have heard it said that with a Savage you might wear the barrel out with a cleaning rod before you shoot it out. I believe that to be true.

Bergara really shines in my experience so far. They just work like they are supposed to with no undue drama.

User Tag List