Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Bergara in the house

Another Bergara in the house

I picked up a Bergara B14 Ridge in 7mm Mag for a muley hunt I have coming up this fall. As with my B14 HMR, I am very impressed with this rifle.

Took it to the indoor range to get on paper so I can start Satterlee ladder testing.
    Scope: Lucid MLX 4.5-18x44mm FFP mil/mil
    Talley lightweight rings.
    Load. Starting load of 65.5 grains of H1000, WLRM primer, Hornady cases, 162 grain Hornady ELDx. Seated .030" off of the lands.

Three shots at 100.

Name:  IMG_1717.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  28.6 KB

Here is the cardboard backer without the paper target.

Name:  IMG_1718.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  39.2 KB

The rig.

Name:  IMG_1716.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  46.7 KB

The numbers are in.
    Name:  IMG_1720.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  32.5 KB

Satterlee ladder at 100 yards. 15 shot group with 15 different powder charges. I take the blame for the horizontal dispersion. My target choice did not agree with my crosshairs. The two low shots were two of the top three charges in the ladder. Had no trouble getting to 2900 fps on my chrono with no pressure signs at all. 162 ELDx over H1000. This rifle seems pretty agreeable so far. Next, I will air it out a bit to validate drops and start chasing low SD/ES.

Name:  IMG_1735.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  32.2 KB

I am sure glad I bought two B14 Bergaras before I knew that the barrels were not the ones to be desired.

Ran drops out to 1030 yards with the 7mm mag today. 162 ELDX over H1000

The torso silhouette I was shooting at 1030 was pretty peppered up. I looked left and saw a pristine, clean white gong at 905 yards. Only had two shots left so...

Name:  IMG_2112.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  40.4 KB

Video of the second shot. Not much to see, but listen for several seconds after the report.

I still can't believe a $600 rifle can shoot like this. Glad I gave Bergara a try.

Damn, son!
    #RESIST

Does Bergera have barrel issues?

All of the ones I have seen shoot very well, typically hold their own against the highly regarded Tikka rifles. If they came out with a fast twist 223, I would have one.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Does Bergera have barrel issues?

All of the ones I have seen shoot very well, typically hold their own against the highly regarded Tikka rifles. If they came out with a fast twist 223, I would have one.
    I am unaware of any barrel issues. I had just heard it said that the "good" barrels are in the Premier series, not the B14's.

I think the way that the rifling is honed instead of cut is the secret to a production barrel that is lapped from the factory. It sure seems to work!
    Last edited by cornstalker; 08-04-2019 at 12:42 AM.

Then again, I had heard that they had some bumps in the road getting started so they hired Ed Shilen to help them develop an appropriate process. That was all long before I knew that they existed.

Gotcha.

Nice shooting by the way
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Here is an article on Bergara barrels. Ed Shilen helped to set up their barrel production.

https://www.ammoland.com/2015/12/mak...#axzz5veEuJ3sn
    Last edited by DamonL; 08-04-2019 at 10:55 AM.

User Tag List