Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 1988 game accurately predicts America in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

In the interest of full disclosure I like the original better
    You shouldn't have said that, now both of our retirements are in danger of being garnished by the thought police.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Good point, I edited it out as I wasn't intentionally trying to be demeaning, I'm just a crude person like, nobody cares whether you like eating hot dogs or roast beef, is my point.

I knew that and I swear like a sailor and am pretty crude myself...but it's different when we're getting a point across, especially where hearts and minds are involved.

Glad you took no offense as none was intended.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Banned
    You shouldn't have said that, now both of our retirements are in danger of being garnished by the thought police.

Pretty amazing they were able to identify it and nail it back in 1988.
    It's been awhile since I cracked open any CyberPunk rulebooks, but I don't recall that type of language being used anywhere. It doesn't even reflect the theme of Cyberpunk. The theme of Cyberpunk was wildly diverse individuals forming loose alliances to wage guerrilla warfare against the impersonal corporate juggernauts and the rigid social structure forced upon their employees. I'm filing this one under "Fake News".
    Last edited by MistWolf; 06-17-2019 at 04:14 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    ..., and not people trying to favor intersectional identities over other groups for a manufactured social justice.
    Excellent.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Well, I'll tell you this much: I know a dismissive insult when I see it.

For decades, if not centuries, there was preferential treatment for white Christian males. Do you deny that?

Assuming preferential treatment of white Christian males was done intentionally to suppress advancement of every single other human being on the planet, such "hierarchical errors" are now proven to be ineffective at many things over the long run. Such hierarchies are not selecting for competence, instead selecting for an identity. The writing is on the wall here...for failure.

As you point out down-thread, there was some injustice imparted to Jewish doctors. Right now there is an Ivy-League school facing an interesting lawsuit from Asians because they faced ostensibly a higher standard of admittance, due to their over-representation.

So if an institution has an over-representation of Jews or Asians are we to assume there is an over-representation that needs to be addressed? Or do we assume the institution ( a modern-hierarchy) has selected for competence?

Currently, the over-representation charge only applies to the intersection applying to whites, men, and apparently Christians.

The problem as I see it is when we prioritize identity over competence, our hierarchies underperform to the detriment of everyone.

So when folks trot out the white-Christian-male-had preferential-treatment dogma, I must assume that the general opinion here is that there is nothing redeeming at all about such people; that competence in this intersection is so low they aren't worthy of considering them for anything. This is an ironic view point by the people who espouse such things because their favorite intersection of humanity can also be equally scrutinized based exclusively on identity. There is two edges on a sword.

So if equal representation of identities is the objective, I must ask--equal outcomes or equal opportunities--which do you prefer?

If equal outcomes are the objective, to what extent are you willing to promote retributive systems to advance equal outcomes?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    So do you want a quota system on our elected representatives? We only get to elect so many white guys (I don't care who says they're a Christian I want to see some fruit) regardless of the will of the people?
    No, I don't. You've missed my point.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    As Blues and some others have addressed, that isn't the America we should be aiming for. And, like they've also said, nobody is gnashing at the teeth at you. We don't give a fuck that you're lesbian. You do you, drive on, have fun and love who you want. We don't give a shit, we aren't trying to oppress you. I think people would just be happier if you and Rapid Butterfly would stop force-feeding us bullshit, is all.
    If what I write bothers you, then use the forum tools that Tom has provided. You can put anyone on "ignore".

I'm sorry that the hiring dude said he wasn't going to hire you. On the other hand, I spent a couple of years at a job agitating for the company to stop slotting people into jobs based on their genders.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Banned
    No, I don't. You've missed my point.
    So what is your point? I mean your statement wasn't ambiguous there's too many white dudes in Congress. What do you propose to rectify that? Do you think somebody should be disqualified for public office based on their race gender or age?

Right, pity the poor, marginalized Christian white males. Out of 44 men who have been president, 41 have been Christian white men. (As to the Christian part, I'm not sure of Jefferson or Trump.) Of the 535 Senators and Congressmen, 474 are Christian, which is overrepresentation. 78% are white, also overrepresentation.

We could probably play this game for everything except the NHL, MLB and the NBA and come to roughly the same result.

So tell me, how are white guys feeling the lash of discrimination?
    This is why all those young Christian White Men stormed Omaha beach 75 years ago. That a rich 1st world lawyer brawd, one of the most privileged and protected creatures on our planet, could have the Freedom to wail about how life ain't fair... that the government should further discriminate against the descendants of those soldiers.

User Tag List