Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1988 game accurately predicts America in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    So the answer is what. Homogeneity and a return to the supposed good old days of ....when. 1950? 40? 30? Before ?

Another option would be to embrace diversity, and really understand what “from many, one” really means. To understand what equality actually is.

Or not.
    triggered.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    triggered.
    It's just becoming impossible to have a reasonable conversation around these parts that incorporates more than a simple "is" / "is not" dualism. Sad, really.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Noted. But he was born in India and of a different sort of family line...
    I’m moderately familiar.

It is apparently ungoogleable, but Orwell once said in a speech in Britain, “"workers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your haiches!"

I honestly thought it was a better-known quote.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I’m moderately familiar.

It is apparently ungoogleable, but Orwell once said in a speech in Britain, “"workers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your haiches!"

I honestly thought it was a better-known quote.
    “We have nothing to lose but our aitches”
    Ask Question

George Orwell ends his essay The Road to Wigan Pier (1937) with (emphasis mine):

And then perhaps this misery of class-prejudice will fade away, and we of the sinking middle class … may sink without further struggles into the working class where we belong, and probably when we get there it will not be so dreadful as we feared, for, after all, we have nothing to lose but our aitches.

Earlier in the same book, he comments that (again emphasis mine) In almost any revolt the leaders would tend to be people who could pronounce their aitches.

I am missing some context to understand this; probably both due to me not being a native speaker, and due to the comment relating to a situation 80 years ago. In both cases, Orwell is discussing class distinctions and class prejudice, so pronouncing the aitches is presumably a pars pro toto for a larger sociolect belonging to a particular class (and to non-linguistic class distinctions as well). But he chose to describe it by aitches, so that must be or have been a major characteristic.

How did the pronunciation of the h within England in the 1930s depend on class, and is still still true today?

Edit: (I am aware that this is a reference to Marx' they have nothing to lose but their chains , but my question is rather about the sociolect he is referring to than about the historical or political context)
    https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...ut-our-aitches
    There's nothing civil about this war.

My googlefu is no match for your Jeeveskata.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    triggered.
    Yeah. Not so much. Amused would be a better choice.

If we are going to exhume the bodies of great authors to take macabre selfies, may as well throw this vetted log on the pyre:

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Another option would be to embrace diversity, and really understand what “from many, one” really means. To understand what equality actually is.
    Unless you see another's diversity as a threat to your own in which case you cry "Yank their pension!", right?

(I'm giving you a hard time on this because I think you are one of the few capable of fighting for someone else's rights, even when you disagree vehemently with them)
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 06-16-2019 at 04:51 AM.

Student
    Strange to see certain things I think about overlap.

The context behind somebody bringing up the original tabletop game is because in the ongoing culture war there's a video game based on the tabletop game setting mentioned in OP, called Cyberpunk 2077. It's been controversial ever since a teaser was released around three? four years ago. Some of you may remember a CGI video in a future video setting where police officers are engaging a woman who'd just cut someone up in the street and in the last few seconds of the trailer said woman is being 'converted' into joining their ranks.

The developers have a previous reputation for not playing along with the progressive agenda that you see being pushed everywhere. There's a recent industry expo called E3 where I think Keanu Reeves made a showing and is going to be in it and the game demo was released. So three of the cards being thrown by whiny folks on twitter are that

1) the megacorp aesthetics you see in cyberpunk are some mixture of anti-Asian xenophobia and/or appropriation
    2) there's two enemy? factions in the game who are black and that's racist but take a look at the particular developer behind that who is most likely not very racist
    3) there's an advertisement in the game with a transgender model, and player character generation has transgender options, which is somehow exploitative or tokenism despite the fact that it's unusually appropriate and a good idea considering the genre's subthemes of corporate exploitation (take a look at Pride month 2019!) and questions brought up by technology being so advanced that you can change every aspect of your entire body.

It's important to remember that most of the people who whine about this sorta thing don't actually play or enjoy video games or comics or whatever so much as they failed somewhere and have to write about it for a living or they're activists who care more about creative works as political statements over anything else, which includes being well-developed.

If I got some of this wrong or someone's got a significantly different take, have at it.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Advocating genocide isn’t diversity. The paradox of tolerance is a thing, and should be well known to you. If for some reason it isn’t, and google doesn’t work for you, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Unless you see another's diversity as a threat to your own in which case you cry "Yank their pension!", right?

(I'm giving you a hard time on this because I think you are one of the few capable of fighting for someone else's rights, even when you disagree vehemently with them)

User Tag List