Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1988 game accurately predicts America in 2020

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    My wife and I are avid gamers. She and I look forward to playing this one and drawing our own conclusions.

I read an interview with one of the designers and will give them the benefit of the doubt on some issues. We will see how it plays out when the glitzy previews stop and the game is in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Yung View Post
    Strange to see certain things I think about overlap.

The context behind somebody bringing up the original tabletop game is because in the ongoing culture war there's a video game based on the tabletop game setting mentioned in OP, called Cyberpunk 2077. It's been controversial ever since a teaser was released around three? four years ago. Some of you may remember a CGI video in a future video setting where police officers are engaging a woman who'd just cut someone up in the street and in the last few seconds of the trailer said woman is being 'converted' into joining their ranks.

The developers have a previous reputation for not playing along with the progressive agenda that you see being pushed everywhere. There's a recent industry expo called E3 where I think Keanu Reeves made a showing and is going to be in it and the game demo was released. So three of the cards being thrown by whiny folks on twitter are that

1) the megacorp aesthetics you see in cyberpunk are some mixture of anti-Asian xenophobia and/or appropriation
    2) there's two enemy? factions in the game who are black and that's racist but take a look at the particular developer behind that who is most likely not very racist
    3) there's an advertisement in the game with a transgender model, and player character generation has transgender options, which is somehow exploitative or tokenism despite the fact that it's unusually appropriate and a good idea considering the genre's subthemes of corporate exploitation (take a look at Pride month 2019!) and questions brought up by technology being so advanced that you can change every aspect of your entire body.

It's important to remember that most of the people who whine about this sorta thing don't actually play or enjoy video games or comics or whatever so much as they failed somewhere and have to write about it for a living or they're activists who care more about creative works as political statements over anything else, which includes being well-developed.

If I got some of this wrong or someone's got a significantly different take, have at it.
    Last edited by Medusa; 06-16-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Unless you see another's diversity as a threat to your own in which case you cry "Yank their pension!", right?

(I'm giving you a hard time on this because I think you are one of the few capable of fighting for someone else's rights, even when you disagree vehemently with them)
    I have a hard time granting someone who is advocating for the government to engage in mass murder any space to argue their twisted point.

Imagine this sermon by John Cardinal McIncest: "The Baptists are heretics. Scripture tells us that heretics should be put to death. Now, I am not telling you, as individuals, to do harm to Baptists. But I am saying that our government should enact legislation to round up all of the Baptists and put them to a fiery death and put their so-called "churches" to the torch, as the heretics that they are. In the name of Our Savior, amen."

I cannot imagine soon-to-be-ex-Knox County Deputy and Baptist Preacher Fritters saying: "I disagree with that, but it's a legitimate point of view."

Maybe I'm biased on this, but as someone who (a) that pulpit-pounding, two-legged vermin would seen put to death and (b) whose extended family tree was pruned by Germans and their eastern European lackeys, I draw the line at advocating murdering people because of their race, religion, creed or sexual orientation.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I think the resident social justice warriors seem to be missing the point and are interpreting the acknowledgement of the game's "prediction" as though some here are advocating for some Nazi-esque purge of today's "marginalized groups". I think that contempt demonstrates a lack of attempt at understanding the people you claim are supporting that sort of draconian behavior.

The issue being discussed is how there's this shift in overall American (and other civilized countries') culture that all of those groups are more special than the next yet their demands of equality are actually demands for preferential treatment. But God forbid you call them out on it, because then you're a bigot against those particular groups and must be wanting them purged. That is an extraordinarily naive presumption to be made by folks who are demonstrably highly educated and capable of rational thought. I certainly can't recall anyone here at PF advocating for the reversion of societal standards to where it was acceptable to accost (verbally or physically) any group based on race, gender or sexual orientation. I would imagine that would get shut down pretty quick if it did rear its ugly head as the folks here are quite more tolerant of diversity than those who claim to embrace it but only want surface diversity while insisting everyone think the same otherwise they're race-traitors and the like.

The sad reality of today is groups are getting preferential treatment because universities or employers are demanded to maintain a diverse populace, even if the folks admitted under such premises aren't suited to be there. Affirmative action is quite honestly screwing shit up.

You want equal treatment? I'm all for it.

What I and many others are getting tired of is the "poor pitiful me" perpetual victim mentality being used to advance the preferential treatment for one group while slighting another group. If you've had bad shit happen to you because you belong to a marginalized group, you have my sympathies because the perpetrators were obviously narrow-minded assholes. But don't stand on your soap box about it every time it's convenient to bring it up in order to shut down arguments from the other side.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    I think the resident social justice warriors seem to be missing the point and are interpreting the acknowledgement of the game's "prediction" as though some here are advocating for some Nazi-esque purge of today's "marginalized groups". I think that contempt demonstrates a lack of attempt at understanding the people you claim are supporting that sort of draconian behavior.

The issue being discussed is how there's this shift in overall American (and other civilized countries') culture that all of those groups are more special than the next yet their demands of equality are actually demands for preferential treatment. But God forbid you call them out on it, because then you're a bigot against those particular groups and must be wanting them purged. That is an extraordinarily naive presumption to be made by folks who are demonstrably highly educated and capable of rational thought. I certainly can't recall anyone here at PF advocating for the reversion of societal standards to where it was acceptable to accost (verbally or physically) any group based on race, gender or sexual orientation. I would imagine that would get shut down pretty quick if it did rear its ugly head as the folks here are quite more tolerant of diversity than those who claim to embrace it but only want surface diversity while insisting everyone think the same otherwise they're race-traitors and the like.

The sad reality of today is groups are getting preferential treatment because universities or employers are demanded to maintain a diverse populace, even if the folks admitted under such premises aren't suited to be there. Affirmative action is quite honestly screwing shit up.

You want equal treatment? I'm all for it.

What I and many others are getting tired of is the "poor pitiful me" perpetual victim mentality being used to advance the preferential treatment for one group while slighting another group. If you've had bad shit happen to you because you belong to a marginalized group, you have my sympathies because the perpetrators were obviously narrow-minded assholes. But don't stand on your soap box about it every time it's convenient to bring it up in order to shut down arguments from the other side.
    Get this heteronormative cis-gendered fascist fuck face a beer.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

^^^Well said, HCG. Pretty much nailed it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    I think the resident social justice warriors ...
    Well, I'll tell you this much: I know a dismissive insult when I see it.

For decades, if not centuries, there was preferential treatment for white Christian males. Do you deny that?
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 06-16-2019 at 10:16 AM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

For decades, if not centuries, there was preferential treatment for white Christian males. Do you deny that?
    Yes, there definitely was. And in the northeast the treatment ran preferential for Catholics, and in the south you'd be chased out of town if you asked at the local Waffle House if there were a Catholic mass in town.

The fuck does it have to do with anything in this thread? Nothing.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Since we can't go back and revise history...(except in books and other media both online and off), why not mark an "x" on the current day and say from this day forward we treat everyone with the same level of respect and rights regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, beliefs, etc etc etc?

Constant harping about the ills of the past does not make the current day and future any better, especially when equal isn't good enough. "Some more equal than others" is not only a crappy starting point, its proving to be a non-starter. Of course if backlash is what is sought, have at it. We've already proven that result is always waiting in the wings.

Advancing one group by marginalizing another is hardly the path to progress.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Whether people want to accept it or not, the world is the most peaceful its been in basically forever. This is especially true in the west where it is more accepting, less racist, and violent crime against minorities is a low probability instead of the expectation. Click bait media and misleading data may try to show a different narrative but its completely false. Where I see the major issue with this country right now, as an educator who works with low income families and children from broken homes, is the lack of individual responsibility of the parents. There is nothing wrong with the children compared to the their peers, they are intelligent, hard working, and social kids who need a little extra help because they didn't get breakfast (read maslow's hierarchy of needs if curious why I said that) but more often then not the parents don't rise to the challenge of being a parent. If I fail in life, its my fault. If my children are not set up to succeed in life, its my fault. Try to tell that to the majority of people on a certain ideological bend right now, you will get called privileged or worst without them knowing one single thing about you.

It drives me crazy. Most Americans embrace diversity, most don't even give a shit what you do with your life so people need to stop acting like victims and focus on bettering themselves.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 06-16-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

No, I don’t deny it. Not saying it was right either.

There’s the old saying “Two wrongs don’t make a right.” Which is essentially what’s going on these days, the previously discriminated have turned the tables and are looking to marginalize the white Christian males but all the while they’re screaming “equality”.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

User Tag List