Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 1988 game accurately predicts America in 2020

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    That's a lot of diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Fun game. Future style DnD. Not as dark as 40K.

Reading the thread, I am sad. The thread has nothing to do with the game. CYberpunk, shadowrun, DnD, there was a spy one and a space version (or maybe that was Shadowrun, its been decades). All were just early pre-LARPS for fun. All the babble babble posts made have nothing to do with them.
    Right? I’m apparently just the right age where none of this is a good proxy for some political abstraction because I still remember playing the actual stupid pen and paper RPG.
    Last edited by TDA; 06-17-2019 at 10:18 PM.

The irony, my adult daughter just referenced cyberpunk in a conversation at dinner ...

I was obsessed with cyberpunk and played shadowrun extensively. Gibson’s Nipponophilia got the best of his predictive capabilities, though.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Reading the thread, I am sad. The thread has nothing to do with the game.
    I'm also sad about it. I stopped playing games or reading fiction or watching shows or whatever a long time ago. I did enjoy the conversation that some of the folks here had about that Highwaymen movie, and along those lines, I guess what passes in my life for entertainment nowadays is reading about the interactions between the fanbase communities, content creators, and the industry medias. Given most developments and subsequent reactions are just about always negative I suppose it's not the healthiest thing to pay attention to.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post

If some reverse-tilting is done, then the kids who do get in are assumed to be EO admittees, with no thought given that maybe the kid in Physics 101 was better qualified than 80% of the other kids in the class. Or, as to the bored kid from a prep school rocking the "C = degree" strategy, nobody assumes that if his father and grandfather hadn't been graduates of the college, that he would have not been admitted.

I watched two kids from my law school apply for jobs. David, who was near the bottom of his class and who failed the bar exam at least once, had no problem landing jobs. Kareem, who was near the top of his class and blew away the bar exam, could not even get to an interview.

I don't know how we get to the point where people are judged by their ability and character. But I damn sure know that we aren't anywhere near there.
    Thanks for the good response.

I can empathize with the Kareem fellow. I had similar experience with getting hired out of college. I literally, no joke, full-legit, went on 103 interviews in my last semester. Only one offer.

I was pretty sure I interview well. I mean after 100 interviews I should be good at it...My main problem was that although my work experience was good, it was only "slightly" relevant to what I was hiring for. Most of the recruiters were looking for a very specific, excruciatingly narrow, set of work experiences or internships. Only one employer out of 100 had the capability of looking outside the box to see my skills were transferable and desirable.

So the anecdote I have here and lived through could have been something I blamed on some personal or identity related issue. Maybe it was...not sure if I wasn't the 'diverse' candidate they were looking for (BTW the " too male, yale, pale" thing is real and I've heard it at my employer too), or I was too old. But in hindsight its likely my work experiences not matching up to what was being selected for.

By analogy maybe the firms Kareen was interviewing with weren't the right ones. Not sure how many firms he interviewed with either. There could be a lot of variables there besides identity. Plus who knows how well Kareem interviews...I've too seen 4.0 GPA engineers whose social skills are reminiscent of Ted Kaczynski, I'm sure their interviews were wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by pooty View Post
    Upper left corner. It looks Bodeo-ish but is break open. WTF is it?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    By analogy maybe the firms Kareen was interviewing with weren't the right ones. Not sure how many firms he interviewed with either. There could be a lot of variables there besides identity. Plus who knows how well Kareem interviews...I've too seen 4.0 GPA engineers whose social skills are reminiscent of Ted Kaczynski, I'm sure their interviews were wonderful.
    Kareem couldn't get an interview. The other guy, the guy near the bottom of the class, got interviews and landed jobs. He was as dumb as a rock, though, and he couldn't keep them.

Both moved out of state. I lost track of them.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I was obsessed with cyberpunk and played shadowrun extensively. Gibson’s Nipponophilia got the best of his predictive capabilities, though.
    You're looking at it the wrong way: Gibson's "Sprawl" trilogy is merely the 80's projected into the future, similarly his "bridge" trilogy is the 90's projected into the future.

I can see that I am among my people here, having wasted a bunch of my youth in RPG's, including Shadowrun and the aforementioned Cyberpunk 2020 (which I don't remember ever mentioning "woke" culture).

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Upper left corner. It looks Bodeo-ish but is break open. WTF is it?
    Looks like a Montenegrin Gasser, perhaps in 44-40
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List