Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newish shooter training and gun selection

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Could we have a double-check on that title? I found (on Amazon) "Practical Shooting" by Brian Enos, "Breakthrough Marksmanship: The Tools of Practical Shooting" by Ben Stoeger, and "Practical Pistol Reloaded" by Ben Stoeger.
    https://www.amazon.com/Practical-Pis...gateway&sr=8-6
    A71593

One advantage to shooting a Glock in a class is that unless you're taking a 1911 specific class, 75% of the other students there will also be shooting Glocks in my experience. I've taken classes from RedBackOne, Frank Proctor and Pat McNamara.. and those classes were all this way. Most instructors (unless they are 1911 guys) will be rocking Glocks as well, or are at least very familiar with them. Being an individual is cool, but being part of the pack can streamline your learning in a class. I should know, I spent a couple classes being that individual with a non-mainstream pistol and when I had issues with shooting my pistol I didn't feel I got the best advice and help some times.

Now, if you are going to a class from a sponsored shooter, you can expect that instructor to be shooting something other than a Glock. And if you are taking a more gamer type class vs. a combat pistol class, you will see less Glocks.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 06-18-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Lots of folks pick guns based on fit and other intangibles while lacking the experience to truly evaluate said intangibles. It’s kind of a catch 22. You pick the gun you shoot best based largely in ignorance and you may well be “doing it wrong”.

I always say start with the Glock 19. You may accumulate the experience and skill later on to merit making a change, but frankly I doubt it. What you’re more likely to figure out is that “fit” and such really doesn’t matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brianjkeene View Post
    I want to train with Hardwire, sent an email about training actually but didn’t get a response - I should have called but found someone else via recommendation. I went with these guys for my first training. https://www.kranzftg.com/
    This would be an EXCELLENT training opportunity for you:
    Hardwired Tactical First Responder: June 29-30

Darryl and Wayne only run this class once a year.

PS, @Dagga Boy, @Wayne Dobbs

PSS. Follow DFW Defensive Training on Facebook and look up Steve and Allen at Palisade Training Group
    Last edited by David S.; 06-21-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    David S.

OP, it may have been mentioned and I missed it, but when you say that you're interested in training, are you seeking to improve technical shooting skills or tactical shooting skills? These are not mutually exclusive necessarily; but nor are they the same---and training that's heavily focused on 'tactics' may not suit someone who actually seeks to build or master 'technical' proficiency----marksmanship, manipulations, etc.

Just a thought to help you determine what training pathway is most appropriate and effective for your goals.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    ... Get good sights, make sure they are regulated properly and learn how to shoot the Glock well. Stop searching for the perfect pistol that you "shoot best". Doing that is a never ending quest focused on the wrong outcome. Improve your skill set such that the equipment does not matter. It's the shooter not the gun!
    Been there, don’t recommend that... [emoji2279]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List