Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 66-1 out of time?

Site Supporter

66-1 out of time?

At least, I think "out of time" is the correct term...

Sometimes, when I cock the hammer, then attempt to rotate the cylinder... it moves slightly and audibly "clicks" into place. Like it wasn't entirely locked up. It won't rotate freely, either way. But it definitely moves a little when it clicks into place. This happens more often when I cock the hammer slowly. If I cock the hammer fast, I rarely experience the anomaly.

How big of a deal is this? I'm new to revolvers and just figured it wasn't a Korth, so... no biggie. But then I got to thinking it could be a safety issue--though I've already put around 150 rounds though it, with no problems. Think I should take it to a gunsmith? Or is less than perfection acceptable when it comes to lockup/timing?
    Last edited by MattyD380; 06-15-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Are you getting lead or jacket shavings? If not, it may not be worth worrying about, particularly if it is in time when the hammer is worked positively.
    Last edited by oregon45; 06-15-2019 at 12:20 AM.

cylinder stop should click into notch just before hammer comes to full cock in SA. In DA when trigger is pulled very slowly stop should click into notch just before hammer drops. If it does not pass these tests take it to a good revolver smith.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

This is known as "Don't come up." and is usually dealt with by a new hand.
    I don't know if S&W is still working on these "old" guns but it wouldn't hurt to ask. Otherwise a good independent revolversmith.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Frank Glenn was very fast if it turns out you need a gunsmith.

A lot of folks have revolvers that don't index correctly but often never realize it. When you cock the hammer (or pull the trigger) with enough force, momentum will cause the cylinder to rotate enough to accomplish lock-up before the hammer falls .... especially so when the gun is loaded. Additionally, more times that not only one or two chambers are out of sync so the issue isn't readily discernible and any "spitting" issues related to the misalignment aren't noticed.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Don bother sending that vintage of M-66 to S&W. They won't work on it.

Frank Glenn is about as good a revolver smith as you will find. If you do send it to him have him do a carry gun type action job on it. You will be muchly pleased! (smile)

Dave

I have a 629, that after about 4-5000 rnds, with some pretty warm loads thrown in, devloped endshake, and the cylinder would'nt completly index, I called S&W, and they told me, that as long as I was the orginial owner, the warranty still applied. I had bought this pistol new in 1995. Anyway, they sent me a shipping label, and I sent it in, they fixed everything, for free, they had to replace the ratchet on the cylinder, the hand, did something to the trigger, and got the endshake down from .017, to.007. All this took about 3 weeks. As it was, when I sent it in, I did'nt feel it was safe to shoot, and it sat in my safe for several years until I finally decided that I needed to get this thing fixed, or get rid of it. Honestly, I was suprised that S&W would still honor the warranty, and that at the time, (probably 4-5 years ago) still had parts to fix it with. But, I'd at least give S&W a call and see what they say.. It's possible that they may have a small stash of parts just for repairing older S&W's..

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I have a 629, that after about 4-5000 rnds, with some pretty warm loads thrown in, devloped endshake, and the cylinder would'nt completly index, I called S&W, and they told me, that as long as I was the orginial owner, the warranty still applied. I had bought this pistol new in 1995. Anyway, they sent me a shipping label, and I sent it in, they fixed everything, for free, they had to replace the ratchet on the cylinder, the hand, did something to the trigger, and got the endshake down from .017, to.007. All this took about 3 weeks. As it was, when I sent it in, I did'nt feel it was safe to shoot, and it sat in my safe for several years until I finally decided that I needed to get this thing fixed, or get rid of it. Honestly, I was suprised that S&W would still honor the warranty, and that at the time, (probably 4-5 years ago) still had parts to fix it with. But, I'd at least give S&W a call and see what they say.. It's possible that they may have a small stash of parts just for repairing older S&W's..
    S&W has been making guns for a LONG time. It depends on how old the gun is. 66-1s were made from 1971-1982 so about 20 years older than your Revolver.it just depends.

The other question is how many good revolversmiths are left at S&W ?
    Last edited by HCM; 06-15-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Don bother sending that vintage of M-66 to S&W. They won't work on it.

Frank Glenn is about as good a revolver smith as you will find. If you do send it to him have him do a carry gun type action job on it. You will be muchly pleased! (smile)

Dave
    S&W will work on it but they may not have parts or the ability to diagnose what's wrong.

User Tag List