Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: One of those what you carry everyday threads

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    No backup gun but a backup means to both trim and light his cigars. Priorities...
    One of those sticks is an actual back-up. Bud has lost a couple cigars in the river we'll be sliding down.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Gotta break-in a new hatchet. Life can be rough:

Attachment 84206
    That hatchet in my hands would be a bad accident waiting to happen, but I like the Nessmuk-ian vibes.

The blade... a Helle Temagami?
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    That hatchet in my hands would be a bad accident waiting to happen, but I like the Nessmuk-ian vibes.

Kellam...Fang?.. If I rember the model correctly. A bit on the line between puukko and leuko. Unless you mean the skeletonized knife, which is a Baryonyx Grimalkin.

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post

The knife in the pic is not a Temagami. The Temagami has a full tang, and the pictured knife is a “stick tang”. I’ve owned Helle stick tang knives, and they held up fine. Full tang is better for hard use such as bataning. The axe is much better suited for that task. It’s a great pic!

Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    Kellam...Fang?.. If I rember the model correctly. A bit on the line between puukko and leuko.
    Okay, now that I look more closely, yeah, there are some tells I didn't pick up on. I dialed back my interest in blades when I stopped doing ES about 11 years ago, but went a little overboard buying stuff from "Ragnar" back in the day. I learned that I really didn't care for trad puukkos despite wanting to.

Fun times, but a lot of money spent unwisely in the long run...
    gn

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    The knife in the pic is not a Temagami. The Temagami has a full tang, and the pictured knife is a “stick tang”. I’ve owned Helle stick tang knives, and they held up fine.

Like a Helle Alden or something like that.

I did once destroy a blemished stick tang "puukko" in the interest of science, and after all was said and done, I don't think a lifetime of NORMAL use would have been any problem for it. (I understand the possible need to baton the H out of a knife, but it is something I have rarely done.)

Years ago, I ran across a cache of old - by the standards of the day - "Moras" sold in the US by an artist materials suppier as "Sloyd" knives but were actually just typical "Classic" pattern knives. I wasn't smart enough to glom the lot, but the one I did get held up pretty well even though it was a beater knife I used in the garage.
    gn

Name:  6A7394A2-BBBD-4813-BED6-42D777A5CC58.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  75.4 KB

- Colt Agent (‘69 gun with later stocks)
    - Federal GMM wadcutters plus a Tuffstrip
    - Sideguard Minimal Clip
    - Spyderco Chaparral
    - Waltham 17-jewel mechanical on a NATO strap
    - Beltman horsehide belt (not pictured)

That Colt carries much better with wood stocks than it did with the Pachmayr Compacs it used to wear. Most of the mass is now at or below the belt line. Sights are, unsurprisingly, perfectly regulated for the 148s.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    Name:  6A7394A2-BBBD-4813-BED6-42D777A5CC58.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  75.4 KB

- Colt Agent (‘69 gun with later stocks)
    - Federal GMM wadcutters plus a Tuffstrip
    - Sideguard Minimal Clip
    - Spyderco Chaparral
    - Waltham 17-jewel mechanical on a NATO strap
    - Beltman horsehide belt (not pictured)

That Colt carries much better with wood stocks than it did with the Pachmayr Compacs it used to wear. Most of the mass is now at or below the belt line. Sights are, unsurprisingly, perfectly regulated for the 148s.
    Very nice EDC setup. The Waltham/NATO and the Agent go particularly well together.

-Rainman

+1 on the Waltham watch. I'm a watch nut. My dad gave me a pocket watch with a 24hr dial. It's a Hamilton. He also gave me a WWII 1911. I ran the serial number on the Colt website. It was made between 1942-1944. The serial number is under the firing pin stop.

User Tag List