Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: One of those what you carry everyday threads

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    A fascinating digging utensil. What is it?

I also noticed the puukko in earlier pics... a Kellam, maybe?
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    A fascinating digging utensil. What is it?

I also noticed the puukko in earlier pics... a Kellam, maybe?
    An expensive bit of Polish metalwork because I hate my bank account and do enough trail maintenance to self-justify:

https://www.baryonyxknife.com/dkupasp.html

And the puukko is a Kellam. The lame tooling on the otherwise nice sheath is unfortunate but is getting chewed up enough to be illegible. Knife itself is great, though.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    An expensive bit of Polish metalwork because I hate my bank account and do enough trail maintenance to self-justify:

https://www.baryonyxknife.com/dkupasp.html

And the puukko is a Kellam. The lame tooling on the otherwise nice sheath is unfortunate but is getting chewed up enough to be illegible. Knife itself is great, though.
    That spade intrigues me... which is dangerous for my finances, as I used to buy "intriguing" stuff from Ben back before I put the brakes on all things outdoor. How do you like it so far? It seems like a more convenient package than the Cold Steel "spetznaz" shovel that I have stopped carrying around.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    ...How do you like it so far? It seems like a more convenient package than the Cold Steel "spetznaz" shovel that I have stopped carrying around.
    Experience is pretty limited to comment in any meaningful way and I've never used, let alone carried, a Spetsnaz shovel to compare. I can say our rocky soil makes trowels miserable for digging proper cat holes so i took to entrenching tools in my younger years. This is lighter and more capable. From there, I took to an antique lightweight children's spade that worked fine but had a fragile handle. This Polish thing has a shorter and stouter handle and more rugged blade while still being lightweight. It is also well shaped and beveled for jabbing through roots. So far, it's working out as hoped. Handy to slip under the flap of my bike pack if I expect some need for a touch of trail work. Lightweight if paired with a crosscut saw, small axe, and such for more involved trail or blind work. No opinion on the handle being riveted in place until I've got some years on it.

The sheath is a bummer, though. The leather is thing and fairly low grade so I doubt it'll last. Retention straps are good and work but the snaps on the belt loop like to open themselves. Until I get around to replacing them with directional ones, I'll just epoxy these ones closed. Being cheap and thin, at least it is light.

This forum, and specifically the revolver subforum, are terrible influences. And also great ones.

I’ve carried these as my lethal force options for five out of the six days I left the house this week, and I’m not dead! This has turned out to be perfect for days when the gun has to come off and on, for wearing under T shirts and polos without having to worry about printing at all, and for finally having something I can comfortably wear without an undershirt, which is a blessing in the humid weather we’re having.
    Name:  4936441C-0CAE-48F0-926D-2A341E87A0A5.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  57.7 KB

I don't carry a revolver any more. For many years I carried a Colt Chief Special in .38 special, but for many years I have carried pocket autos. About 15 years ago I found the Keltec PF9 in 9mm. It is extremely accurate and reliable. it is my EDC and backup when I carry my full sized guns as well. With a spare mag in the opposite pocket it's all I need.
    Name:  PF9.jpg
Views: 1222
Size:  67.8 KB

Went bridge jumping into a nearby river so traveled light, today.

Name:  20210826_142640.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  102.6 KB

Left out my copy of The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen by Jacques Pépin. While drying off in the sun and smoking a bowl from my neglected Peterson, I got up to his lucky avoidance of deployment to the Algerian theatre.

Name:  20210601_151334.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  101.1 KB

User Tag List