Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: One of those what you carry everyday threads

Yes, Revolving Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Is this Revolver-Forum.com?

Revolving PISTOLs were patented by Samual Colt. In the Thirties. The Eighteen-Thirties. Don’t take my word for it; look it up.

Several other types of pistols existed well before then; mostly single-shot, some double-barrel, but there were other repeaters.

Perhaps because Sam Colt’s revolving PISTOLS were so instrumental in the newly-formed Republic of Texas surviving* against raiding Mexican soldiers and Comanches, we Texians, and even some Texans, still tend to refer to revolvers as pistols. If a pistol is an auto-loader, well, then, it is an automatic pistol, or auto-pistol. “Auto-loader” sounds kinda British, which is OK, as Brits are cool.

*Revolving pistols had no role in the Texas Revolution, but started arriving soon afterward. Border disputes continued, for years.
    Last edited by Rex G; 10-25-2020 at 09:33 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Revolving PISTOLs were patented by Samual Colt. In the Thirties. The Eighteen-Thirties. Don’t take my word for it; look it up.

Several other types of pistols existed well before then; mostly single-shot, some double-barrel, but there were other repeaters.

Perhaps because Sam Colt’s revolving PISTOLS were so instrumental in the newly-formed Republic of Texas surviving* against raiding Mexican soldiers and Comanches, we Texians, and even some Texans, still tend to refer to revolvers as pistols. If a pistol is an auto-loader, well, then, it is an automatic pistol, or auto-pistol. “Auto-loader” sounds kinda British, which is OK, as Brits are cool.

*Revolving pistols had no role in the Texas Revolution, but started arriving soon afterward. Border disputes continued, for years.
    Gotcha.

Revolving Pistols.com

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Gotcha.

Revolving Pistols.com
    According to my 1979 edition of the Merriam-Webster Unabridged Dictionary, Pistol is a term for any handgun, with the secondary definition being a handgun with a chamber in line with the barrel.

It beats "Ackshually-Forum", don't you agree?

Name:  IMG_20201025_132217992~2.jpg
Views: 1364
Size:  68.0 KB
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Recently attended an outlaw 3 Gun match* and the director was fun. He was happy to see not one but two wheelgunners with mine being a 4" model 67 in leather. We got to talking and he wanted to know what I carried day-to-day. Given my wood-stocked pump and Bianchi 5BH holster (exposed trigger guard weirding out an R.O. on the first stage which I hadn't even considered beforehand to my possible discredit), he was completely unsurprised to hear about a bobbed 2" model 10 with Baramis.

Other realgunner rocked a mooncliped .357 N-frame; besting me by a couple spots between it, a real carbine, semi-auto gauge, and competent stage planning. That eight-shooter looked fun. We both took some smug satisfaction in our 158 grainers slapping down steel that was more recalcitrant toward the 115 grain light 9mm loads run by some others.

Given that I loaded my dirty stainless Combat Masterpiece with leftover 158 grain standard pressure lead round nose after a quick brush under the star and immediately went out to supper so strapped with my range buddy, it seems as if this fits here. And I did have my speedloaders pocketed through the match as I do day-to day. To the surprise of absolutely no one, a cargo pocketed Comp II is notably slower to utilize than a Comp III in the unzipped hand pocket of one's vest.

I'd almost opted to run a .40 Beretta PX4 compact converted to decocker-only and with the D spring from a Cougar installed. Glad I ultimately K-framed my plans despite the knockover steel intensive stage design. I could say it was good to stick with the same style as my carry gun while ammo is scarce but in the end, there is just something deeply and primally satisfying about a by-God steel Smith on your hip and the way the gun settles firmly into your grip on the draw like the earnestly accepted handshake of a trustworthy fellow.

I hear the arguments that revolvers in this century are for incorrigible romantics but care less every day. I'll sacrifice some insipid objective comparative metrics for the roll of a leaf sprung trigger cocking mechanism, subtle pin schnick as the cylinder pops free, pressure on my hand as the fired brass yields to the slap of my palm, tinkle of sooty cases raining to the ground, and click of a speedloader as the mechanism unlocks. My carry gun is a constant companion and I'd just as soon it be an endearing one. Particularly when dining with a good friend and basking under the golden autumnal sunset so close to the day of the dead when we should keep the past from slipping to the abyssal plane of forgettery.

* Given that this is a performance board, placed upper 2/3 combined score in a field dominated by riced semi-auto shotguns and fullsize autopistols of which most were topped by an RDS from novice to regular competitor. And my points for improvement mostly revolved around stage planning, as usual.

Revolving PISTOLs were patented by Samual Colt.
    Well, I think Samuel Colt would rather that I spell his name correctly.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Well, I think Samuel Colt would rather that I spell his name correctly.
    Just don't call him 'late for dinner'.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Just don't call him 'late for dinner'.

A hanging curveball for you, sir:

Surely........I won't.
    "We are the domestic pets of a human zoo we call civilization."

Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival."

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    ... Bianchi 5BH holster (exposed trigger guard weirding out an R.O. on the first stage which I hadn't even considered beforehand to my possible discredit)..
    I've had 5BH holsters for a long time, but I got ones with covered trigger guards because the RO at a club match told me "I'll give you a pass this time, but you'll get DQ'd next time around with that holster."

Sounds as though you did very well.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Please stop with the LCR stuff. I've a hankering for an LCR 9mm, and I'm trying to resist. You people here are just a bunch of enablers!

Just for you...

I find myself carrying this more and the shell chuckers are pulling safe duty. I keep telling myself I need a better holster but that 12$ DeSantis wears well AIWB.

Despite all my efforts to convince myself the LCP is better...I somehow ended up with this in my coat pocket and then later in my waistband...revolvers are like Heath Ledger, I just wish I knew how to quit them (or cared...)

Name:  278CBAE0-6B98-47C1-BAE1-E5CA34F7BF6A.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  9896F023-AEB0-4873-AE23-702A3E96EBC7.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  46.2 KB

User Tag List