Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: One of those what you carry everyday threads

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Those are old school (~1980s) Eagle Secret Service grips and to be brutally honest...they aren't great. I made them better by taking a Dremel to the finger grooves, relieving them for speed loaders, and then I 'hand stippled' them for a bit of extra grip. All said and done, for a pair of $15 grips I found in a bargain bin years ago, they are okay. If I wanted a boot grip today, I'd go with Badger grips and have them make me a set without finger grooves (they will do that for no charge, just mention it when ordering). That said the new Secret Service grips look better than these by a mile, they are extended slightly below the frame for a bit of extra grip.

The trouble with post-66 Colt D-Frames is the curve between the trigger guard and grip frame is so exaggerated and the butt is so short, that it makes getting a two finger grip on boot grips almost impossible. You really need a slightly longer grip, but not too long which is what most full grips are.

Ok, that's what they looked like. i had a set of those years ago and they were hard to hang on to with +p ammo so I sold them off. Now that I am on the Wadcutter Way I wish that I had them to try again.

These are very short but kinda thick so they work ok.

Name:  IMG_4584.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  39.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4583.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  39.2 KB

Alessi Talon Plus.

Edit: Went to find you a link and I see it appears Alessi is either out of business or in deep trouble (lots of BBB complaints over the past 18-months). They no longer have a website or readily identifiable contact info.

The closest things I can think of off hand that are similar would come from Bell Charter Oak Leather - http://bellcharteroakholsters.com/iwb.html - The 'Magnum Storm' is pretty close to the Alessi design, with a reinforced mouth and offset clip. The Chicago Rocker would work equally well, if you do not want the reinforced mouth.
    I am a long term user of the Alessi Talon holsters. i think that I bought my first two back in 1992 or 93. They don't work for all guns and every body type, but I have had good luck with them. I normally hook then over a slim / single layer belt with a lighter handgun, or will use them in jeans or shorts just clipped to the waistband without a belt. I think Alessi holsters closed a year or so back. They are somewhat common on ebay, and http://www.ritchieholsters.com/ makes those patterns now.

Thanks,
    Danny
    Last edited by revolvergeek; 11-04-2020 at 04:12 PM.

The best D-Frame grips ever, in my opinion, are the Fitz Ten-O. Which of course haven't been made in nearly 50 years...This is the second pair I've managed to find. Takes quite a bit of hunting to find these and they fit like shit in stock form, but ~30 minutes with a file/emory paper and they fit great. But you have to find a pair...

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 1632
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  44.5 KB

Site Supporter
    The best D-Frame grips ever, in my opinion, are the Fitz Ten-O. Which of course haven't been made in nearly 50 years...This is the second pair I've managed to find. Takes quite a bit of hunting to find these and they fit like shit in stock form, but ~30 minutes with a file/emory paper and they fit great. But you have to find a pair...

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 1632
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  44.5 KB
    Nice! I have three pairs of those for j-frames, but have never seen them for the old Colts.

Not an Instagram junkie, cutting some stencils while grilling the potatoes for dinner. Then wiping down lanterns and bringing 'em in.

Beer tease; Moosehead Lager, have not enjoyed one of those in years if the boarder ever reopens my duty free shopping will include a case of Sleeman, Alexander Keiths, and Moosehead now. Maybe just do a road trip to Nova Scotia for the week.

Quote Originally Posted by SD View Post
    Maybe just do a road trip to Nova Scotia for the week.
    Gotta keep it on the downsie, though.

Pulled this off a camera while testing new card reader:

Name:  Friday on tree.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  46.5 KB

Water was nice, that day. So was the wheat beer between swimming laps.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SCCY Marshal View Post
    While some of your items change from post to post, its interesting to notice the consistency over time. I guess when it works it works.

You know, for being relatively uncommon there seems to be a lot of colt D frame metal polisher strike agent on this page of the thread.

User Tag List