Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Routine medical call ends in gun battle

Site Supporter
    The Fire Department in the town I used to work in responded 9 times in 2 weeks and dosed a shitbag with Narcan each time. That's only the times someone called cause he was unresponsive. I'm glad I don't have to carry or use it anymore. You stick a needle in your arm, you take the ride wherever it ends, it was your decision, you deal with the ending. I do feel sorry for the families though.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

If ever there were a good argument against giving Narcan to every lowly addict voluntarily straddling the line between life and death, this would be as close to an ideal example to use.

Call me crass, but I really think we ought to quit fighting Darwinism. No good deed...
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    It seems like a bad strategy to allow a suspect to move his hands towards something you consider potentially dangerous (the command "lift your shirt" gives him permission to move his hand to the hem of his shirt right by the bulge).
    Watch and listen again. One cop even demonstrates what they want him to do. You order someone to lift their shirt by pulling it up from near the neck or chest line, not from the hem. Ideally, have them face away from you, reach over their shoulder and pull the back of the shirt up enough to clear the waistline, then slowly turn. The hand not on the shirt is to remain in the air. Anything else is non-compliance and should be treated as such. That's where these guys went wrong. They kept "de-escalating" instead of treating a non-compliant suspect like a non-compliant suspect.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Looked to me like they were using CIT training in a situation that called for COP training.

But that’s the old school cop in me coming out.

I think this is the same agency.

https://www.appleton.org/residents/p...ntion-team-cit

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    You stick a needle in your arm, you take the ride wherever it ends, it was your decision, you deal with the ending. I do feel sorry for the families though.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    If ever there were a good argument against giving Narcan to every lowly addict voluntarily straddling the line between life and death, this would be as close to an ideal example to use.

Call me crass, but I really think we ought to quit fighting Darwinism. No good deed...
    I have a hard time arguing too hard against these positions. Yes, we should rehabilitate people if possible, but there also needs to be a line, and the guy in this article pretty clearly crossed it a long time ago.

TXdpd is on the money. The title of the thread is the fricking problem. Drug overdose is not a routine medical call....or at least not back in my world. Any sopping wet dope fiend who was getting another chance to be a living drug addict got treated like a criminal who was going to be treated like a criminal during the entire event. They were tossed before the medics hit the Narcan and the cops and Fire Engineers were all gloved up and ready to begin the ass beating before the Paramedics brought them back from the light. We now treat people who overdose on opiates as a patient with an ankle sprain rather than a criminal who needs medical attention prior to going to jail. THAT is how this happens.

Violent Emotionally disturbed people are criminals with a mental issue and these overdose interventions are criminals with a medical emergency. Note......THEY are criminals first and the rest is a secondary concern. This is what is wrong with all this poor victim mentality that is getting first responders and citizens killed and injured because the criminal is put first by people who never have to actually deal with them.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    What Darryl said. But everything is medical now....ODs, Violent mentally ill.....even straight up violent criminal behavior is a 'cry for help'. The cops try to de-escalate everything...even when it's obvious that they shouldn't, which leads to the incident escalating instead to deadly force. Used to be the medics would ask if a cronk had been searched before starting treatment....then they gave up when young cops started getting indignant. Now the new medics dont even ask. We've successfully turned our young cops into polite, passive 'law encouragers'....and now we're shocked...shocked!...to find gambling at Rics!

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    What Darryl said. But everything is medical now....ODs, Violent mentally ill.....even straight up violent criminal behavior is a 'cry for help'. The cops try to de-escalate everything...even when it's obvious that they shouldn't, which leads to the incident escalating instead to deadly force. Used to be the medics would ask if a cronk had been searched before starting treatment....then they gave up when young cops started getting indignant. Now the new medics dont even ask. We've successfully turned our young cops into polite, passive 'law encouragers'....and now we're shocked...shocked!...to find gambling at Rics!
    Another aspect to this is cost of medical care. If you don't arrest them, the PD is not on the hook for their medical treatment. I know my old PD started down that road long ago to mitigate the damage to the PD budget. We completely stopped arresting passed out drunks for 647f (drunk in public). Called paramedics instead and off to the hospital for treatment of alcohol poisoning. Taxpayers still pay for their treatment (via higher medical insurance premiums to cover cost of uninsured), but PD/City budget remains solvent.
    Last edited by LtDave; 06-15-2019 at 12:38 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    We stopped arresting most drunks for 647(f) a long time ago. If they can stand up and walk under their own power, unaided, we can arrest them....but no Station Keeper wants the liability in their tank, and the jail won't take a custody for 647(f) only....so they marinate in the street, until they can't stand, and then it's an ambulance ride. We don't pay for medical treatment, but no one wants the liability of an in custody death from some underlying condition.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Watch and listen again. One cop even demonstrates what they want him to do. You order someone to lift their shirt by pulling it up from near the neck or chest line, not from the hem. Ideally, have them face away from you, reach over their shoulder and pull the back of the shirt up enough to clear the waistline, then slowly turn. The hand not on the shirt is to remain in the air. Anything else is non-compliance and should be treated as such. That's where these guys went wrong. They kept "de-escalating" instead of treating a non-compliant suspect like a non-compliant suspect.
    Agreed. The suspect slapping the officers hand away would be hands on / all in for me.

User Tag List