Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Routine medical call ends in gun battle

I hope Satan has an extra bag of coal for him to clutch in his lap when he arrives in Hell.

And he sets the furnace on "Extra Crispy".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    Back in the 70's, (the current heroin glee is not new whatsoever), Narcan was titrated to restore breathing, but not enough to restore consciousness. Everyone went for the ride to the ER, but they went peacefully. As you mentioned, everyone was fully tossed. "The Awakening" was delayed until they were on the ER gurney and fully strapped in.

I think it is time to proscribe the use of Narcan except for first responders and medical personnel or other incidental exposure.
    Yeah. When I was an EMT in the 90s we could do 2 mg IV Push titrated to breaths. Paramagicians could do 2mg IM, 2mg subQ and 2 mg IV Push, again titated to resperations. If the Medic on the rig did not like the charge nurse in the ER he would titrate to respiration, until we rolled into the ER, where he/she would dump the remainder of the syringe IV Push...sending them into instant withdrawal. Fighting, puking, all that fun stuff.

Now I have a 4mg nasal shot, no titration at all. All at once, or nothing. Not really looking forward to a successful application.

pat

If Narcan hadn't been used, the pond scum may have simply died and everyone else would have lived. Just sayin'.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    If Narcan hadn't been used, the pond scum may have simply died and everyone else would have lived. Just sayin'.
    Kinda like the old NYPD CPR?

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Yeah. When I was an EMT in the 90s we could do 2 mg IV Push titrated to breaths. Paramagicians could do 2mg IM, 2mg subQ and 2 mg IV Push, again titated to resperations. If the Medic on the rig did not like the charge nurse in the ER he would titrate to respiration, until we rolled into the ER, where he/she would dump the remainder of the syringe IV Push...sending them into instant withdrawal. Fighting, puking, all that fun stuff.

Now I have a 4mg nasal shot, no titration at all. All at once, or nothing. Not really looking forward to a successful application.

pat
    Where I worked, ALS could (and did) titrate IV push, but nasal must still be given as a standard full dose.

There's a lot of doses that happen to have half the quantity accidentally spilled by crews, these days.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Perp was facing 15 years for a felony drug charge, but released a week prior on reduced ($500) bail despite a long record for similar offenses. Courts/jails are broken...

I am always amazed by how many lookie loo's want to crowd around a potentially dangerous situation. Even after the gunfire, its suprising how many bystanders had to be told to go away.

It seems like a bad strategy to allow a suspect to move his hands towards something you consider potentially dangerous (the command "lift your shirt" gives him permission to move his hand to the hem of his shirt right by the bulge).

I feel horrible for the cop who shot the bystander in the head. Sounds like she'll be living with a TBI the rest of her life.

This case reminds me of trooper coates - perp has a dinky little belly gun meant for self defense and small quantity of drugs, yet finds himself facing serious time/consequences and makes a horrible, but predictable, decision. The consequences of the laws being violated aren't much of a deterrence, yet they're severe enough to encourage hail mary last stands (particularly from users with diminished capacity).
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 06-14-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Did criminal rack a round?
    It appears that way. I posed the same question/statement in my OP. I was surprised he had to rack a round and fumble it out of that pouch, and he still beat the LEOs who mostly screamed no or whoa as it was happening even though they suspected he had something. I didn't hear any one call gun either, though it became pretty clear when the rounds were flying.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    It appears that way. I posed the same question/statement in my OP. I was surprised he had to rack a round and fumble it out of that pouch, and he still beat the LEOs who mostly screamed no or whoa as it was happening even though they suspected he had something. I didn't hear any one call gun either, though it became pretty clear when the rounds were flying.
    What’s surprising, didn’t you read the threads title? Routine medical call.

Here’s a group of guys that are trying to be reasonable with someone that just put a presumably lethal dose of opiates in his body, and still has that dose in his body. The subject is inebriated in public and the officers the have the legal authority to place him under arrest and search him incident to arrest. And yet there they are.

It’s a byproduct of cops not being cops, and working painfully hard at it. These guys look like they were in pass the buck to EMS instead of just taking care of business.
    Last edited by txdpd; 06-15-2019 at 02:03 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

CWM11B
    When we first started issuing narcan, I told folks they had better cuff first. Got told to STFU. Before I retired, the kids were all over getting to calls because administrators started handing out "lifesaving" medals. I told more than a couple of heroes they ought to be charged with aiding and abetting B&Es, because that is exactly what their little Lazarus projects went right back to. Choices have consequences, and if you dont want to face them, dont shoot up.

The failures as I see them are that the medics didn't "assess the guy for injuries", during which they would have found his weapon and the cops were indecisive. You hear it when they were talking in a huddle about whether or not to do anything. If they didn't want to get into it, let him walk. They could have changed their minds when he was away from the crowd. If you think someone has a gun, and you think they just lied about it, take physical control right the fuck now. Either way could have avoided the shooting, but half-assing it put them behind the curve. Even then the officer closest to the suspect's right hand could have gone hands on.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List