Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Friend worried that her pepper spray would be/ could be used against her..

Agreed on the taser failures. I fought through my first exposure and volunteered for a second hit. Just having loose polyester pants prevented one prong from even touching my skin let alone digging in far enough for a good connection.

We are seeing multiple failures on tasers in the field......and subsequently, officers not knowing to go hands on after a failed deployment. Loose clothing, jackets, etc......

Not the cure all it was touted to be by far.

Regards.

Site Supporter
    Tasers may have a better success rate when used in corrections when there are already several others to assist.

Not really our failure rate with the taser is about the same. 50% or so.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    If she's not willing to carry it I wonder how much less willing she would be to actually use it on another human.
    One must have the correct mindset, the willingness to protect oneself and loved ones.
    If not absolutely willing or unsure, don't carry it.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    An attractive young woman looking for a carry gun in the LGS while I was there one day related how she'd previously attempted to defend herself with pepper spray. The assailant just put his hand over the spray stream and continued to demand her money/purse/whatever it was he took. Fortunately, as she described the incident, that was all.

I'm sure he had to wash his hand soon afterward, but he managed to keep it from getting to his face just by getting to contact range and responding to it effectively.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 08-19-2019 at 10:40 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

That could have gone so much worse. Great lesson for her though.

I think it’s Craig who describes OC as “eye jab in a can”. Why was she still standing there after the spray? It’s not a magic bad-guy off-switch.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    An attractive young woman looking for a carry gun in the LGS while I was there one day related how she'd previously attempted to defend herself with pepper spray. The assailant just put his hand over the spray stream and continued to demand her money/purse/whatever it was he took. Fortunately, as she described the incident, that was all.

I'm sure he had to wash his hand soon afterward, but he managed to keep it from getting to his face just by getting to contact range and responding to it effectively.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Pepper spray? Nope... I have far less respect for that then I do OC.

When I was younger, I played around with my mother’s spray on her key chain. Sprayed myself right in the face... walked to the bathroom and washed it off, without anyone noticing (including her). Was under 11.

We carry 10% OC, and used 0.93% for training exposure. Our class was one of the first (actually second, I believe) that switched to 5.5% exposure. Supposedly, the class before us had it bad... like Raiders of the Lost Ark face melting bad. [emoji23]

When I was exposed, was fine (and quite a few in my class were in a similar boat). The dummy we had to fight... I beat the hell out of it. The instructor who was grading me made the comment, “now that you knocked the suspect out...” when I had to go cuff the second dummy prone.

Now, once they added water to wash it out... it sucked. Cannot lie about that. But I view OC as useless because of how it affected me. If I use it, I’d probably be using it against wildlife instead of people.

Taser... now that definitely works. I’m a Type I diabetic, and the muscle contractions caused the inserted port that injects insulin (insulin pump) to break/bleed. Never saw one break until that day.

OC spray IS pepper spray.

FFS

I've used OC/pepper spray on somewhere between 300 and 400 bad guys in my career, and around 2000 students. Let's just say my observations and experience are significantly different than yours. Same-same for my field experience with Tasers.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

People think that there isn't any training needed to use OC. It's a canister, you just spray it, right?

Those people don't know what they don't know.

Attractive young lady fucked up.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List