Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why .22 Mag in a snub nose?

You can get a lot of relatively tough jacketed bullet options in 22 mag. Not so in 22 LR. 22 mag with a tougher bullet is going to give much more reliable penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    I EDC a S&W 43c with Stingers. I don’t put a lot of stock in being able to do an emergency reload with a J frame but it’s a skill I practice regardless. The .22 Mag cases will not drop free like those of the .22. I also get slightly better accuracy out of the 43c and can practice a LOT cheaper than with the 351c. There are drawbacks and benefits to both calibers
    I just got my 43C home from the LGS 2 days ago and no chance to even fire it yet. It was for cheap practice being a clone of the M442 I already have.

Passed on the .22 Mag not only for the cost, but I already have a 22Mag, a HS derringer and the muzzle blast is more than any .45acp I own. At night, it's really impressive, but you end up being both blinded and deaf. LOL

After shooting .22's for nearly 60 years I would have zero qualms with a 43C as a EDC. Plus, I have nearly 2 cases of the SK made Wolf MT to practice with.

Wet

I EDC a S&W 43c with Stingers. I don’t put a lot of stock in being able to do an emergency reload with a J frame but it’s a skill I practice regardless. The .22 Mag cases will not drop free like those of the .22. I also get slightly better accuracy out of the 43c and can practice a LOT cheaper than with the 351c. There are drawbacks and benefits to both calibers
    Well put! A 43C is on my short list.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I can't speak for snubs but my 5.5" single six with standard jhp Winchester .22mags will shoot through any racoon close enough for me to hit. 22lr's will not. Often the LR were unexpanded under the skin on the other side and needed my dog to kill them. They were typically dead before my dog got to them if I used Magnums.

On coyotes the bullet was typically a perfect mushroom under the skin on the other side with the same Winchester .22 mags.
    Anecdotal evidence -- this is good information.

I personally love the 22WMR as a rifle round. In a revolver, I do not like it at all. Mostly it's because it is very loud in a revolver. The example I owned was a 6" Model 48 Smith. That revolver had to have unburned powder brushed out from under the extractor star at least every 18 rounds of it would bind badly. I eventually let it go and stayed with 22LR for revolver use.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I personally love the 22WMR as a rifle round. In a revolver, I do not like it at all. Mostly it's because it is very loud in a revolver. The example I owned was a 6" Model 48 Smith. That revolver had to have unburned powder brushed out from under the extractor star at least every 18 rounds of it would bind badly. I eventually let it go and stayed with 22LR for revolver use.
    I have that same issue with my 17-5 except I have to clean the chambers and cylinder face in addition to under the extractor star. That particular malady isn't unique only to the K frames chambered in .22 WMR.

Another interesting couple of anecdotes are that I don't have those issues with my 351c. While it is louder than my 43c it's no louder than my P07 9mm.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter
    I have that same issue with my 17-5 except I have to clean the chambers and cylinder face in addition to under the extractor star. That particular malady isn't unique only to the K frames chambered in .22 WMR.

Another interesting couple of anecdotes are that I don't have those issues with my 351c. While it is louder than my 43c it's no louder than my P07 9mm.
    My 18 no dash requires regular, anal cleaning to function.

My Single Six has been cleaned. I remember doing it at least twice.

.22 magnum from the Single Six is fun, but it mostly gets shot with LR.

Used LCR in .22 Magnum at my LGS is tempting because it’s $200 less than the used .22 LR next to it, in the same condition, and there are reasons to have a .22 Magnum snub.

User Tag List