Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why .22 Mag in a snub nose?

Why .22 Mag in a snub nose?

What, if anything, makes the more expensive .22 Magnum any better than .22 LR out of a ~2” (or less) barrel? I seem to recall the velocity between them is close out of a barrel that short so is it bullet selection? Just the handheld flash-bang aspect?

Not that I can’t grease the Wheels of Justification pretty liberally when necessary but I’m really curious about this.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I agree, I thought I wanted a 22mag in a J-Frame but I think all of the ammo is loaded with slow(er) powder for rifles. Plus in the LCR you give up two rounds and in the J-Frame you give up one. With the Ruger you even gain weight, but the Smiths are listed as being the same.

I thought I wanted a 351c that with an aluminum cylinder is as light as the titanium cylinder .357 guns, but after figuring out the 22mag doesn't gain much I caved and bought a 360PD, and I have consequently revised my List Of Wants to include the 3" 317 in 22LR.

I can't speak for snubs but my 5.5" single six with standard jhp Winchester .22mags will shoot through any racoon close enough for me to hit. 22lr's will not. Often the LR were unexpanded under the skin on the other side and needed my dog to kill them. They were typically dead before my dog got to them if I used Magnums.

On coyotes the bullet was typically a perfect mushroom under the skin on the other side with the same Winchester .22 mags.

From what I’ve read it seems to come down to costs more but penetrates better.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/2...s-pretty-good/

Uses Clear Gel, but seems a fairish comparison.

I get using them out of something 4"+, I'm just missing the attraction in anything under that.

And "Just because we can" is a perfectly acceptable answer.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    What, if anything, makes the more expensive .22 Magnum any better than .22 LR out of a ~2” (or less) barrel? I seem to recall the velocity between them is close out of a barrel that short so is it bullet selection? Just the handheld flash-bang aspect?

Not that I can’t grease the Wheels of Justification pretty liberally when necessary but I’m really curious about this.
    It penetrates better and picks up about 100-150 FPS over a .22LR
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Oukaapie View Post
    From what I’ve read it seems to come down to costs more but penetrates better.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/2...s-pretty-good/

Uses Clear Gel, but seems a fairish comparison.
    Thanks, that helps because he went in with the same questions and biases I have. That 3" LCRx might be worth looking into...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    It penetrates better and picks up about 100-150 FPS over a .22LR
    Yes which in other calibers is enough for some to pick the +P loads. In .22 for some reason that's supposed to not matter?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

In my experience, .22 Magnum ammo has much better quality control than .22 LR. For that reason alone I’d choose it over .22 LR.

I used to do quite a bit of long range and match shooting with .22 LR and .22 mag. I would weigh each round and check rim thickness to reduce fliers. After a short while it became obvious that it was unnecessary with the magnums, as they were extremely consistent. I don’t believe I’ve ever had a misfire with .22 magnum ammo.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Yes which in other calibers is enough for some to pick the +P loads. In .22 for some reason that's supposed to not matter?
    I EDC a S&W 43c with Stingers. I don’t put a lot of stock in being able to do an emergency reload with a J frame but it’s a skill I practice regardless. The .22 Mag cases will not drop free like those of the .22. I also get slightly better accuracy out of the 43c and can practice a LOT cheaper than with the 351c. There are drawbacks and benefits to both calibers
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List