Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Life on Devil’s Island

Is drinking Murkan beer grounds for expulsion from Canuckistan?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Ordinarily YES.

But once I became homeless I also became a member of an identifiable non-privileged group (the Canadian government has not figured out how to politely identify people by race yet and gender is fluid here so I may be a homeless woman, possibly even trans which is like the oppression gold medal here) so I am exempt from punishment from all normal crimes.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    How do emergency services work on an island?
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    How do emergency services work on an island?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Dude, this is awesome! Just don't start any wars over pigs or anything, OK/eh?

PS: SWMBO has us scheduled to visit Victoria in September, so you might want to plan a week long stay at the cabin...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

You had me at "I had grown a beard the year before when I got super busy building a little rowboat in my apartment while trying to wrap up an issue of the magazine outside of my regular job and just stopped shaving"

I can hear it now: "Why are all these spokeshaves on the coffee table?"

I need them for the rowboat I'm building in the bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Ordinarily YES.

But once I became homeless I also became a member of an identifiable non-privileged group (the Canadian government has not figured out how to politely identify people by race yet and gender is fluid here so I may be a homeless woman, possibly even trans which is like the oppression gold medal here) so I am exempt from punishment from all normal crimes.
    Had I known that, I wouldn't have caused an international incident by making fun of your homeless look.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I won't be able to offer a good update until Monday, but briefly:

Emergency services would be either your closest neighbors or the coast guard

I'll definitely come to Victoria for dinner or drinks or anything at all so keep me posted on your travel plans

I will not reignite any British pig wars but I am consuming record amounts of charcoal grilled bacon

Mocking my homeless look just gives me more evidence to include with my application for the Victims of Rape, Genocide, Crimes Carried Out By Politically Convenient Non-Minorities, or Internet Bullying government stipend.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Mocking my homeless look just gives me more evidence to include with my application for the Victims of Rape, Genocide, Crimes Carried Out By Politically Convenient Non-Minorities, or Internet Bullying government stipend.
    Whoa, Canada!
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

The rowboat in the apartment was a bit of a job. It got a tiny amount of coverage in Wooden Boat Magazine, which was cool, but I mean, it was about the least amount of space you could get and still say you were in Wooden Boat. But still: I was in Wooden Boat Magazine and it’s an accomplishment.

The whole project began after our first dinghy got ripped off the roof of our boat by a big wave. We recovered it more easily than you’d think but it took a beating and I began having to repair it constantly as the fiberglass was all cracked in places. I kept saying “I’ll fix the dinghy next trip” and then I wouldn’t and it would leak and get left out in storms and end up dragging on the bottom and I’d pull it up and then patch it and know it needed more work and it would get ignored again and then a month later it would be something else and finally I just said “fuck this, I’m building a new one.”

So I picked a straightforward stitch and glue design from B&B Yacht, who had a pram design that I liked the lines on. And off I went. Here’s a quick pictorial account, which I will break up into a few posts...

Last edited by Maple Syrup Actual; 06-18-2019 at 10:36 AM.

User Tag List