Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Life on Devil’s Island

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Grew up in Whalers and Glasplys a little south of there. It will never stop being home.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Vancouver Island grips you and holds tight. I moved here sight unseen in 97 and never looked back. The more I travel, the more I realize how lucky I am to live here.

Glad things are working out so well for you Misanthropist. Sounds like a lot of very difficult work has finally paid off.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    That pic reminds me of my grandfather's tool box.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Devil's Island ... Man what an awesome thread, very interesting read. The Island cabin, sea stories, and the pics of the boat build good stuff. Color me slightly jealous as I sit here oppressed in the DPRNY. Congrats Misanthropist
    (I like the full size pics.)

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    This is your commute? FFS. I have been feeling sorry for myself having to drive through Mississauga, apparently I don't have it as bad as I thought.

Are you still doing the magazine? I don't see you on the masthead...
    Honestly I would take this over driving Mississauga almost any day. I drove from Vancouver to Surrey every morning for seven years and the degree to which I no longer have the urge to strangle people is kind of shocking. Yes, there are occasional heart-stopping moments, but there are also very serene ones.

Name:  morning.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  31.8 KB

I'm at the very least taking a hiatus from the magazine. I was way too busy to do anything on it for most of 2019 and living out of your car makes shipping guns a little fraught. Now I'm kind of in a place where I don't really want to get off work and worry about work, and I really would like to get back to work on my own writing. I have a deal going to do some stuff for a different magazine but I haven't really got it fleshed out yet. More than anything I just want to enjoy life for a bit which I now realize I wasn't really doing, just working the amount I used to.

Now I'm kind of in a place where I don't really want to get off work and worry about work, and I really would like to get back to work on my own writing.
    That sounds like a great idea.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

What are the details on that knife if you don’t mind me asking?

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    No, by all means. That's a Bark River Aurora...I love it for all general purpose woodcraft type stuff. It's like a Mora on steroids, dialed up to 11. Very shallow convex grind, cuts beautifully and if you're careful with it you can often keep it sharp just by stropping it on your jeans. Absolute razor right out of the box and as a guy who used to sharpen his own razors, I can say that with a pretty straight face.

No, by all means. That's a Bark River Aurora...I love it for all general purpose woodcraft type stuff. It's like a Mora on steroids, dialed up to 11. Very shallow convex grind, cuts beautifully and if you're careful with it you can often keep it sharp just by stropping it on your jeans. Absolute razor right out of the box and as a guy who used to sharpen his own razors, I can say that with a pretty straight face.
    Thanks! I really like the looks of it.

...and as a guy who used to sharpen his own razors, I can say that with a pretty shaved face.
    FIFY.

Except the bum beard is clearly indicating that isn't true. So...shave already.

ETA: Bark River Knives makes great pieces. My favorite woods knife is their version of the Tom Brown Tracker. That's a big, but versatile blade and so well balanced. Actually better balanced, than the official TOPS made ones, in my opinion. I do wish they'd do another run of City Knives. I need one before I lose my willpower and order a custom one from John April.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 06-20-2019 at 08:56 PM.

User Tag List