Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RMR dot size for a defensive handgun?

After trials using dots from 8 MOA down to 2 MOA, most folks here standardized on the 3.25 MOA RMR06.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

I've got three RMR at 3.25MOA, but I was thinking 1MOA for the SRO I'm intending to get. With my eyes, the blooming dot becomes very large when I turn up the intensity, so I'm thinking that a smaller dot, at a higher setting would work out good. I'm running 1000 lumen X300's on my pistols, so I need enough brightness to not wash out the dot, but I don't want a huge blooming dot when the light isn't used

I don't care much about the battery life (as long as it's in months, not days), especially with the top mounted battery box.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    After trials using dots from 8 MOA down to 2 MOA, most folks here standardized on the 3.25 MOA RMR06.
    This.

Back when I also tried the Aimpoint 2 and 4 MOA on rifles shot on stress courses before I made my 2 MOA purchase. There was not enough of a difference on ease of acquisition to know the difference. The 2MOA offered slightly better range estimation, and better precision, and could be bloomed.

The first time I took out my gen 4 G17 with 3.25 MOA RMR I hit 6 out of 9 shots on a pepper popper at 100 yards (less than 150 rounds through the setup at the time). 6 MOA is not that big a difference from the 3.25, but....

I would love the DPP's triangle reticle in theory, as I loved the one on the ACOG I played with at an instructor's course. GJM talked me out of the DPP much quickly, and the triangle reticle was only available dual illuminated RMR, which I decided against due to washout, since a few of my near shootings has been challenging someone who was backlit, while I had darkness to hide in. I am planning on getting one for my G20.3 that I carry when bowhunting.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-14-2019 at 01:52 PM.

I know some like it, but I cannot stand the triangle....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Let me toss this in.

I wear glasses - they are bifocals for reading, and are plano for distance with just an astigmatism correction. In a pinch I can shoot without glasses using a fuzzy iron sight picture. (I try to do this regularly using just clear shooting glasses.)

The 6.5 seems to make sense to me, but I won’t have a chance to try them before buying.
    I have an astigmatism as well. The 6 moa dots and larger bloom out real bad and the DPP triangle is just a smear.

The smaller dots are much easier to see and do not distort nearly as much. The 2 moa holosun is the clearest to my eyes but the 3.25 rmr was excellent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I know some like it, but I cannot stand the triangle....
    On the DP Pro, the delta ain’t a great choice. I have been advocating for it to go away and be replaced by a 5 moa or so alternative.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I haven’t ever owned a non-target handgun with a RDS.

What’s the groupthink on appropriate dot size? I’m thinking about taking advantage of the Father’s Day sales and picking up a RMR Type 2 - I want to let the ACRO settle down a little, and an RMR would always be useful to have around.

3.25 or 6.5?
    I have used the 3.25 for quite a while. In dual illum, I use the RM05 Amber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the past two range session, I shot the following scores with a RM06: 97-2X (all in black), 94-3X (with a flyer in the 8 ring), 96-3X (with a flyer in the 7 ring).

At 50 yards, my dot doesn't completely cover an 8" plate, so I can hit them fairly regularly despite never working that kind of range. My point is, the 6 MOA dot size is giving me enough information to get pretty decent scores. IMO, the misses have more to do with me still learning this trigger than the dot size.

I have healthy eyes so no problem with blurry dot. I have both the 3 MOA and the 6, and right now I have a slight preference for the 6 MOA dot. It seems to wiggle less, it's easier to track in recoil and easier to find initially. I think these qualities are particularly valuable considering the RMR's small window. As a dot newb, I also think it has also helped me learn the dot.

I could see how moving to a smaller dot might be advantageous long term, once I'm truly confident in my index, including "off-camber" shooting positions. 6-8 months in, I'm closer but not there yet. I can also see how a smaller dot might be preferable in a larger window like an ACRO or SRO.
    David S.

Got my 2.5 moa dot SRO. On auto, the 2.5 dot seems way too small for fast shooting. For competition, it can be put to manual and “bloomed” to appear larger, but that is not conducive to EDC battery longevity, so I would prefer the 5 moa dot for carry.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The 6.5 RMR is almost ready to go, and from dryfiring I think I made the right choice. Live fire will tell the tale...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List