Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RMR dot size for a defensive handgun?

RMR dot size for a defensive handgun?

I haven’t ever owned a non-target handgun with a RDS.

What’s the groupthink on appropriate dot size? I’m thinking about taking advantage of the Father’s Day sales and picking up a RMR Type 2 - I want to let the ACRO settle down a little, and an RMR would always be useful to have around.

3.25 or 6.5?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I have both and prefer the 3.25.

Does the size of the dot really make that much difference? I understand that, in theory, the bigger dot should be easier to see. With that said, the dot is either there or it isn't.

I think something in the 5-6 range is ideal, based on my experience and speaking with other USPSA CO shooters.

With the smaller size dots, I end up turning up the intensity to make them appear larger. I want to be looking through the display at the targets, and with a larger dot I can have it at a lower intensity and still quickly find it. A side benefit of a larger dot might be greater battery life, since you don’t need to “bloom” it, to make it appear larger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Let me toss this in.

I wear glasses - they are bifocals for reading, and are plano for distance with just an astigmatism correction. In a pinch I can shoot without glasses using a fuzzy iron sight picture. (I try to do this regularly using just clear shooting glasses.)

The 6.5 seems to make sense to me, but I won’t have a chance to try them before buying.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

I really like the 3.25. Dial up if needed and dial down if needed for longer shots. 6.5 is good also so hard to go wrong

IMO, larger dots have far less perceived wobble and are marginally easier for me to pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    IMO, larger dots have far less perceived wobble and are marginally easier for me to pick up.
    Embrace the wobble. Love the wobble

The coffee finally kicked in, and I grabbed my old Ruger CTM out of the safe. Late last year just before the divorce started I freshened it up, including mounting a FastFire. It’s been in the safe forgotten and unfired since then.

It’s 3 MOA, and it could stand to be bigger for a purely defensive gun. My use is 50’ or less, I don’t see myself ever realistically needing to take longer shots with a CCW pistol.

I think I’m going to try a 6.5 MOA RMR07.

Thanks, all!
    Ken

User Tag List