Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI - Tile left over from remodel - Keep it?

Site Supporter

RFI - Tile left over from remodel - Keep it?

I got a couple boxes of floor tile and shower tile left over from remodeling the house six years ago. The “what if, just in case” side of me says to keep it and the “this shit will sit here forever” side of me says to get rid of it (or take it to Habitat for Humanity).

Whose’s right? Have you every needed spare tile to fix/replace the stuff you got?

A couple of spare tiles are nice to have in case you ever break or chip a tile, but a couple of spare boxes are probably overkill...

Its really important to keep the grout, keep it dry, like in a heavy duty zip lock.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

My view is one box.

Keep it.

If you keep it you will never need it and if you throw it away you will need it ASAP.
    I used to keep everything now I keep very little.

Dad had some minor water issues in his house when he first got it, he put a thick tile under the leg of each piece of furniture to keep it off the floor. Seemed to work until he got the water figured out.

Keep it. If down the road you do any remodeling, such as changing around cabinets, you will need it. Tile companies discontinue tile all the time and even if you can find the same tile it will have a shade variance. The shade variance will make any repairs stick out like a sore thumb. Keep the tiles in the box they came in because the box should have a number signifying the shade on it. That will make it easier to find matching tile if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I got a couple boxes of floor tile and shower tile left over from remodeling the house six years ago. The “what if, just in case” side of me says to keep it and the “this shit will sit here forever” side of me says to get rid of it (or take it to Habitat for Humanity).

Whose’s right? Have you every needed spare tile to fix/replace the stuff you got?
    Ask yourself- What Would Hickok45 Do?
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Absolutely keep a box of the tile, AND keep any unused grout. If/when you need a replacement tile, chances of finding an exact match are damn near 0 nowadays. The tile designs change so fast, you'll have a helluva time finding an exact match...

User Tag List