Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ROXOR 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    with similar features and much greater inherent capability (such as being street legal).

Apparently Michigan is the place to buy one of these. Michigan has a pretty easy process to convert these to "assembled street rods" with an actual automotive title that should allow the rig to be sold anywhere as a street legal automobile. The down side here is probably emissions. Will the diesel ROXOR pass an automotive smog test?

Montana is supposed to be another easy state to convert these to replica or custom kit title.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I know a few motorhome folks who tow those and Trackers. I was looking for something like that new awhile back but they seem to have disappeared from the planet. Probably failed the crash or emissions tests or something so like dinosaurs they disappeared.
    Consumer Reports killed off the Samurai with their falsified tests, none sold here since ‘95. Samis have a cult following and are either insanely overpriced or completely trashed. Often, both. Being cheap resulted in being treated as disposables. There are clean ones for sale now going for more than they cost brand new.

Sidekicks/trackers lacked the charm to make it fully into cult status so there seem to be even less of them around these days.

I’d give a testicle to be able to buy a new Suzuki that is offered everywhere else in the world.

Unfortunately low cost, simple vehicles are not a good seller in the US any more.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Trying to figure out if they could be registered for the street. I mean heck if you can build a rail buggy and get it registered for street i dont understand why these couldnt be registered. Maybe that is state dependent or maybe the rules have changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    In Mississippi, the state issues drivers licenses and the counties register vehicles. The counties just want the money and if your willing to pay, they’ll give you a tag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    It’s definitely possible to register a Roxor. Many states have...intricacies...that allow registration of non-standard vehicles. Many different classes of ‘commercial’ and agricultural vehicles that do not undergo crash testing are registered.

In Wyoming, this would be a breeze to register, same for Arizona, South Dakota, and others. In New Hampshire, you could register it as a tractor, or as a special commercial vehicle.

I’d a build kit comes out, then...you could absolutely register in the same manner as any other kit car as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Apparently Michigan is the place to buy one of these. Michigan has a pretty easy process to convert these to "assembled street rods" with an actual automotive title that should allow the rig to be sold anywhere as a street legal automobile. The down side here is probably emissions. Will the diesel ROXOR pass an automotive smog test?

Montana is supposed to be another easy state to convert these to replica or custom kit title.

So I can only speak to requirements in Florida, and even then only as someone who's done a small bit of research (so if I'm wrong I hope someone can correct me), but...

I would sorely like to register an ATV "side by side" as a street-legal vehicle. In Florida, however, there are a few impediments that may apply in other states.
    1) Florida law supposedly prohibits a vehicle previously titled as "off road" into an "on road" registration. From my talks with dealers they won't sell me an un-titled ATV.
    2) even if you could, the only way to do it would be to register it as a "low speed vehicle" or LSV at which point it would have to be governed down to 25 mph max and meet other weight restrictions, etc.

Generally you see golf carts converted to LSVs (I have one) because they were never titled as off-road and the parts needed to convert them are readily available.

The "hack" to get a side-by-side titled as an LSV in Florida (as I understand it) is to have it titled in another state and then "import" it into Florida. there are supposedly services that will even take care of all of this. I haven't pursued it because at that point the time and cost investment doesn't seem worth it to me. Plus, while I'm sure I could come up with a fuel cut off or something to governer it down when needed, being restricted to 25 mph kinda sucks.

Site Supporter
    I have been watching the roxor for awhile. I talked to a factory rep about making them street legal. He directed me to dirt legal.com. I think they are overpriced for what they are but if you want a turn key Willy’s they are hard to ignore. A John Deere gator is probably better for a ranch or farm and other side by sides better off-road.
    I wish mahindra sold them as a kit car. Kind of like an AR-15. I buy a complete upper and lower and put them together. I buy a roxor w/o and engine and transmission; just a rolling chassis. Then install roxor engine and tranny. Register as a kit car. The quality of mahindra is another unknown but they have been selling these for decades

Name:  91823F5E-55E7-45A7-BD1F-23FDA90A30D0.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  100.6 KB
    I have Pioneer 1000-5 it is very capable off road, has plenty of power and 13” of ground clearance.

Registration of Roxors for street use appears to be highly regional. In South Dakota, I've observed quite a few registered in the same category as side-by-sides, out and about on public roadways. Some neighboring states allow none of this.

If you like old, simple Jeeps for the usual stuff, they look to be a cool thing to get. If you want to blast around at high speeds on rough trails, not so much.

I got to crawl under one on display at the local fair; it looked just like a 62-82 Jeep CJ5 underneath. Very simple, very rugged.

As an aside, this label is pasted on the Roxor dashboards. Seems like sound advice.

Name:  IMG_4082.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  31.5 KB

These are cool rigs. They are heavy but can get through some decent stuff. Ran into one on a trail last fall. The trails were thrashed at this point. The lil Jeep just plugged right along through. Owner said he loved it. Also they are built in Michigan about 15 minutes from my house.

Sxs are badass and I loved my Honda. But these roxors are very capable and the weight also helps a lot for working, plowing and towing. Like everything else I think they can be very useful in the right hands. This is not a RZR XP competitor. This a trail riding/working rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Consumer Reports killed off the Samurai with their falsified tests, none sold here since ‘95. Samis have a cult following and are either insanely overpriced or completely trashed. Often, both. Being cheap resulted in being treated as disposables. There are clean ones for sale now going for more than they cost brand new.

Sidekicks/trackers lacked the charm to make it fully into cult status so there seem to be even less of them around these days.

I’d give a testicle to be able to buy a new Suzuki that is offered everywhere else in the world.

Unfortunately low cost, simple vehicles are not a good seller in the US any more.
    I had a Suzuki Samurai back in the day. Pretty fun little rig. The 1.3L engine was about worthless unless wheeling around in low range. Had these rigs had had something just a wee bit bigger they would have been about perfect.

I later traded it off for a Ford Bronco II which was one of the most unreliable vehicles I've ever owned. This is the one and only Ford I ever bought and it completely ruined me.

Anyway, I think there's still a market for simple rigs hence the Roxor's popularity. From what I've read they've sold about 3,000 of these since launch. Nash Powersports in metro Phoenix told me they've sold about 60. Del Rio Powersports in TX told me they've sold 40 and have another 40 on order. Pretty cool!

Turns out the market hasn't changed all that much from decades ago. People still have a desire to own simple little vehicles for plodding around, running errands and working on the ranch. Or simply enjoying the outdoors with the top off and windshield down. Or missing entirely in the Roxor's case. Other parts of the market want a jeep for Moab type stuff and seem to like the Roxor as a "blank canvas." There are a number of options for lockers, lift kits, etc and I imagine more are on the way.

As I mentioned, the genius of these is that they are an automobile being sold as a UTV to get around airbag requirements, etc. I can't help but wonder what else might come to market as a result. Some form of Brazilian FJ40? What about a GAZ or UAZ or Land Rover? Maybe the Samurai will return as "offroad use only."

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 09-20-2019 at 05:53 AM.

User Tag List