Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: ROXOR 4wd

Uncle Ted has one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

Also, Gen2 4runners are where it is at. Tougher undercarriage. Still built for some offroad use before Toyota went fully luxury SUV for the US market. Too bad about the dreadful 3.0 3VZ engine. All the power of a 4cyl with the gas mileage of a V8. Even died in the wool Yota fans hated that engine....

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    I have one. The 3.0 would be more than capable if it actually had a low range transmission and T-case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I have one. The 3.0 would be more than capable if it actually had a low range transmission and T-case.

And didn't blow head gaskets...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Also, Gen2 4runners are where it is at. Tougher undercarriage. Still built for some offroad use before Toyota went fully luxury SUV for the US market.
    Same as with the early 3rd gens except you get a better engine.

???

They don't have 4lo selection in the transfer case? My 3rd Gen does.

I don't rock crawl, so that's plenty low for me (when I go into 4lo, I typically start in 2nd), but for those who need to be able to step out of their vehicle and walk along beside them, Marlin Crawler offers a dual-transfer-case kit.

Back to the original topic, I've watched several of the videos posted in this thread and still don't get the point. These things start at $16k and you still have to do stuff (ie spend money) to get it road worthy. At least in my local Craigslist, there are plenty Jeeps that are road legal already for well under that price.

I suppose if they cost less than $10k, it might make some sense.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

Back to the original topic, I've watched several of the videos posted in this thread and still don't get the point. These things start at $16k and you still have to do stuff (ie spend money) to get it road worthy. At least in my local Craigslist, there are plenty Jeeps that are road legal already for well under that price.

Chris
    MSRP, as with many things, is suggested.

In my area, decent Jeeps run $8500 and up. By decent I mean one that hasn't been wheeled to death with big bald tires, wires hanging out under the dash, 200K miles on the odometer, etc. Yes. There are some of the early Wranglers that can be found for $4000-$5000 but they are hagged out. Rusty, dented, torn up seats, etc.

The ROXOR makes sense for someone who likes Jeeps and has a nostalgia for the older ones. It also makes sense for ranchers and farmers who might use a ROXOR in a manner similar to a tractor. Apparently these are also selling well to mines and railroads.

Same as with the early 3rd gens except you get a better engine.

???

They don't have 4lo selection in the transfer case? My 3rd Gen does.

I don't rock crawl, so that's plenty low for me (when I go into 4lo, I typically start in 2nd), but for those who need to be able to step out of their vehicle and walk along beside them, Marlin Crawler offers a dual-transfer-case kit.

Chris
    It does, but four low in first gear is higher than any 4wd I've owned. I will say it went 240,000 miles before head gasket issues.. about twice as far as my Duramax.

Back to the Roxor. I've looked at them up here in AK and I was intrigued. We can't license them for the street, so I lost interest at that point. We had a spat of those Asian mini-trucks up here about a decade ago and the state cracked down on them, not allowing licensing.

Site Supporter
    It does, but four low in first gear is higher than any 4wd I've owned. I will say it went 240,000 miles before head gasket issues.. about twice as far as my Duramax.

Back to the Roxor. I've looked at them up here in AK and I was intrigued. We can't license them for the street, so I lost interest at that point. We had a spat of those Asian mini-trucks up here about a decade ago and the state cracked down on them, not allowing licensing.
    I've not compared 4lo numerically to other 4x4s, but my 5spd 4x4 4Runner (97 model) is low enough that I only use 1st in 4lo if I want to creep at idle speed. I normally start out in 2nd if I'm in low range. 3rd gear in low range is about the same as 1st in high range. That's with 32" tires (stock was about 30.5).

By mini-trucks, you're not referring to the smaller Nissan or Toyota pickups that were all the rage 20+ years ago are you? If not, I don't think what you're referring to was a thing here.

Chris

By mini-trucks, you're not referring to the smaller Nissan or Toyota pickups that were all the rage 20+ years ago are you? If not, I don't think what you're referring to was a thing here.

Chris
    These little dudes....

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've not compared 4lo numerically to other 4x4s, but my 5spd 4x4 4Runner (97 model) is low enough that I only use 1st in 4lo if I want to creep at idle speed.
    I had a 1987 Dodge 1/2 ton, 318 and 4 speed granny. In 1st and 4-lo I could work out a fence post, wait for my truck to catch up to me, drop it in the bed, walk to the next fence post, work it out, wait for my truck to catch up to me, drop it in the bed, repeat.

IIRC, granny gear was 8.xx:1. Top speed was in the single digits. I never used it even in 2-hi unless I had a hell of a load to get moving. I had 1.67 tons of gravel on it once and learned that just because a truck will haul something doesn't mean it'll stop it. Steering was a bit light as well...
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 09-22-2019 at 12:45 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

The first new vehicle I was ever able to get was a 1978 short bed Chevy with the 4sp with creeper. I loved that truck, probably best that I just rely on memory at this point, with a 2" Add A Leaf on the front it was pretty silly. But ahhh, the memories...

But this truck had low range of 2:1, I think about the time that Jeep started offering in line fours in the CJ and Cherokee they started the trend of low range typically being 2.5:1, and I think the aftermarket offers 4:1. Makes me think of the Steven Wright joke about making instant coffee in a microwave oven!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mmc45414; 09-22-2019 at 12:54 PM.

User Tag List