Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Oberlin college versus local store

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Sounds like your daughter dodged a bullet there.
    Maybe. I was pretty liberal when I arrived at the U of Iowa, often referred to as the Berkeley of the Midwest. By the time I bailed out of the writer’s workshop three years later, I cut my hair, got a job, and scraped the bumper stickers off my car.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Coming from a homeschooling household my daughter was given a short list of what we considered acceptable colleges. She had the credentials to go anywhere. She crushed the SAT in 5th grade and did high school in 3 years. We were very pleased when she visited and decided on Hillsdale College. She could have easily been 20 miles away at Yale however I happily drove her stuff the 720 miles to Hillsdale.
    Nice job. I wish my children had excelled well enough to go to Hillsdale. However, they are doing fine. One graduated from a small college yesterday. I sat through a four hour graduation ceremony where the entire thing was interpreted into Spanish, so it took twice as long. Two of the speeches were about the advancements of LBGT rights. One speech apologizing for taking Native American lands for the grounds of the college and a commencement speaker who’s entire point was don’t worry about getting a job, just follow your dreams. Parents walked out in droves. I stuck through the whole thing, but it sucked. I don’t have a huge issue with the points above, but they shouldn’t have been the focus of the evening. Not one mention of any sort of academic excellence or acknowledging any of the honor students were made. That really bothered me. My daughter wouldn’t even had been mentioned as she was a middle of the pack graduate, but I felt bad for those parents that had excellent students.

My daughter’s attitude was “thank God I’m not giving any more money to this place”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I was pretty liberal when...
    I was also, upon graduating from H.S.

At that point I viewed academia as a bunch of dirty, long-haired dope-smoking pinko cowards.

As my understanding grew, I discovered that my view of them was wrong.

They are much worse than I thought.

and there is no argument regarding their "profession"

It is an old one. The only discussion is the price of the transaction.

U.S. University "contributions"

Qatar $1,024,065,043
    England $761,586,394
    Saudi Arabia $613,608,797
    China $426,526,085
    Canada $402,535,603
    Hong Kong $394,446,859

FBI Director Christopher Wray said “I think the level of naïveté on the part of the academic sector about this creates its own issues.”

I will advance that I think his level of naïveté regarding the "academic sector" betrays part of the problem.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/06/15/e...-foreign-cash/

Site Supporter
    Well, I guess you can't just go around and persecute people because you don't like them.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

So what is the upshot? Oberlin has to deed over a fat building or two to the court?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

They have an $800 million endowment. If they have to sell a couple of buildings to pay the judgement, then sell them. If they fold, then they fold. Few tears will fall. Playing by big-boy rules means that sometimes you lose.

In other words, fuck you, pay me.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    The monetary damage award against Oberlin was upheld in full by a unanimous appeals court.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guyben...iness-n2605372

Unfortunately David Gibson has passed away from cancer, but the business is preserved for his family and employees.

Site Supporter
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List