Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oberlin college versus local store

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Or they could tell Oberlin to go fuck themselves and the horse they rode. That might be enough to put the college under, especially if the press is bad.

Edit: never mind. Their endowment is $850M.
    Yeah, they can afford whatever the cap finally comes to. The thing that gets me: the rich, white, twice-yale educated president who, heh, presided over the growth of the faux outrage culture there from 07-17, is off getting paid an ass-ton of dough as president du jour somewhere else; he won’t feel a dime of pain. The settlement won’t come out of the salaries of Diversity VPs, assistants, secretaries or spokespersons, either.

It’ll come from scholarship awards for poor kids, and reduced adjunct course lines. Nice job, Oberlin... real egalitarian of y’all.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Yeah, they can afford whatever the cap finally comes to. The thing that gets me: the rich, white, twice-yale educated president who, heh, presided over the growth of the faux outrage culture there from 07-17, is off getting paid an ass-ton of dough as president du jour somewhere else; he won’t feel a dime of pain. The settlement won’t come out of the salaries of Diversity VPs, assistants, secretaries or spokespersons, either.

It’ll come from scholarship awards for poor kids, and reduced adjunct course lines. Nice job, Oberlin... real egalitarian of y’all.

Then those students who might have received financial aid will be forced to attend a school which is actually capable of educating them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Using the old "outcome based education" mantra, I will advance that every student who "suffers" by not being able to attend Oberlin (or anyplace like it) is actually obtaining a thinly disguised blessing.

And so is society, by hopefully not receiving additional polezniye duraki.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Then those students who might have received financial aid will be forced to attend a school which is actually capable of educating them.
    Maybe... but the dollar-value state places in my region of the country are every bit as bad.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Or they could tell Oberlin to go fuck themselves and the horse they rode. That might be enough to put the college under, especially if the press is bad.

Edit: never mind. Their endowment is $850M.
    Which is chum change in the higher-education endowment universe.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Student
    Doesn't prevent them from acting otherwise.

Oberlin College to Jury: We’re cash poor and big punitive award to Gibson’s Bakery will hurt students
    https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/0...hurt-students/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the end of the day, though, it comes down to the jury. And if they see malice as part of what Oberlin College did in their libeling of Gibson’s.

“You have spoken,” said Oberlin College attorney Rachelle Kuznicki Zidar to the jury. “You have sent a profound message. We have heard you, and believe me, colleges across the country have heard you,” She also looked at the Gibson family and said, “The college doesn’t hate you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    “Oberlin College tried to sacrifice a beloved 5th-generation bakery, its owners, and its employees, at the altar of political correctness in order to appease the campus ‘social justice warfare’ mob. The jury sent a clear message that the truth matters, and so do the reputations and lives of people targeted by false accusations, particularly when those false accusations are spread by powerful institutions. Throughout the trial the Oberlin College defense was tone-deaf and demeaning towards the bakery and its owners, calling the bakery nearly worthless. The jury sent a message that all lives matter, including the lives of ordinary working people who did nothing wrong other than stop people from stealing.”

33mil, plus attorneys fees, depending on the legal cap. That is a serious can of whoop-ass.

For that sort of dough, the plaintiffs could now conceivably have their name on a small building in Oberlin’s journalism school, and dedicate the classrooms in there to reporting the truth.
    #radicalideas
    I am sure this will be appealed and the appellate court will reduce this to a few hundred grand. But its a fair win.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    I am sure this will be appealed and the appellate court will reduce this to a few hundred grand. But its a fair win.
    Given what happened, the length of time that it went on, the damaged reputations, the lost business, and the likely expenses of running such a business, I suspect that $11 million in compensatory damages was easily and correctly found by the jury. The appeals court will give some reference to the trial court on findings of fact, and will uphold them if a reasonable fact finder could have ruled that way, even if they think they would have ruled differently. I would not predict a big change unless there is was some big mistake at trial.

The most likely issue for appeal is the extent to which Oberlin bears responsibility for everything that happened. I would predict that the verdict will be affirmed.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Given what happened, the length of time that it went on, the damaged reputations, the lost business, and the likely expenses of running such a business, I suspect that $11 million in compensatory damages was easily and correctly found by the jury. The appeals court will give some reference to the trial court on findings of fact, and will uphold them if a reasonable fact finder could have ruled that way, even if they think they would have ruled differently. I would not predict a big change unless there is was some big mistake at trial.

The most likely issue for appeal is the extent to which Oberlin bears responsibility for everything that happened. I would predict that the verdict will be affirmed.

Your faith in the legal system is far far higher than mine. Thats ok, you could be right.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2019/0...ity-out-there/

Retired African-American Police Officer – “Gibson’s treated me just like they treat everyone else”

Henry Wallace, the city’s police department’s community service officer from 1984 to 2017, and who is also an African-American, told the jury “Gibson’s treated me just like they treat everyone else. They always treated everyone fairly and without any malice, and I say that because I have known them for more than 50 years.”
    #RESIST

User Tag List