Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Oberlin college versus local store

Site Supporter
    In Appalachia white Americans seem to be over represented among that group whose members are arrested for shoplifting and petty theft crimes. Their common denominator is lower socioeconomic-economic status. Generalizing from my experience working with minority students and addressing situations observed only within the sample within my sphere, I conclude that minority students are over represented among persons arrested for shoplifting. Once again, lower socioeconomic-economic status is the common denominator. In February, 1975, I sat around a small table and interacted with Jesse Jackson’s chief of staff who stressed that teen pregnancy drives the cycle of poverty resulting in so many of the ills affecting minorities. That was the last time that I heard this idea discussed. However, I have sat in countless meeting where academic deficiencies of minority students were laid at the feet of teachers who could not work with minority students. In my high school exams were given in January when kids returned after winter break. Large numbers of students would forget their class schedules including subjects and names of their teachers. Thus, exams had to be given before holidays began. Reason given was teachers who could not work with minority students. Oddly, these kids forgot their teachers and subjects taken regardless of their teachers’ race.
    Last edited by willie; 06-14-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Unleash the dogs...Somebody will let you know when the asshats go broke.
    Although I am not a French Davidian, with credit to blind squirrels he (David French) get this much: "...I compared the verdict to the kind of sound that causes prairie dogs to stand alert — suddenly, lawyers are paying attention."

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    students...students...teen...students...kids...stu dents....kids
    Just distill the subjects of the issue.

In former times it was expected that the instant demographic did not have choices or options; they had direction and requirements, with pain delivered for failure. That so much honor is paid to a vast pool of ignorance (the inherent attribute of youth) is another symptom of the devolution of the culture. Anyone who is honest and candid will admit to what they knew at the age of 18; only the self-deceived will suggest that they were worthy of consultation regarding anything except maybe if their shoes did not fit.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Total award was $44M. The Chronicle of Higher Ed. has a good article but it's behind the paywall. Basic points:

1. The school may not be responsible for the students.
    2. The faculty opinion is in a gray area of free speech but the faculty using school equipment and computing resources does fall on Oberlin. The faculty being agents of the school is gray.
    3. The Dean is an agent of the school and thus Oberlin is responsible for that involvement.

The case is an important precedent for faculty free speech when the faculty member invokes his or her involvement with the school in the discussion and tries to organize responses from students using school resources.
    I don't see the free speech implications at all.

Defamation has always been outside the limits of free speech. When that defamation is specifically intended to harm a business, the damage that can be done is quite foreseeable to those involved.

Employers have, for a long time, been responsible cor employees acting within the scope of their employment, even if those employees are not agents of the organization. If they were acting in their role as faculty, then yes, the school is responsible. Nothing new here.

This liability is even clearer when those employees are the ones who run the show on a day to day basis and have authority as agents of the organization. I cannot imagine a clearer case than what happened here - high ranking university officials directing and participating in some of the defamatory actions.

When the school is specifically encouraging and assisting the students, yes, they are responsible for the actions of the students. Nothing new here.

The only thing new here is that the left got yet another reminder that it is not okay to harm people because they disagree with the left's alternate reality version of the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    That saying goes back to my time, when the choices were hearts and minds, or huts...
    I still have my draft card from 1970. That's as far as I got. I pulled a high number in the lottery.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Having actually driven through Oberlin on my way home for the weekends, when I lived on that side of the state, and observing the students wandering the streets, I can honestly say that Oberlin College could be summed up in two words..freak show.. Oberlin is a school that dosen't educate..they indoctrinate.. Anyone who would send their kids to Oberlin should understand that when the kid graduates from there, there's a reasonable chance that he'll be borderline mentally ill, and at a minium, unable to think at a critical level.. Oberlin College should be burned to the ground..

ETA..
    watched this on Fox news last night, when they commented on this and they ended by saying that since the verdict was handed down, the college has sent out a student wide e-mail, where the school states that "this isn't over" and they plan to continue to fight it..I figure that since the school has way more money than the bakery, they'll just keep tying things up via the appeal process, they could probably drag this out for years.. I'm guessing the plan is to drag this out, and run the bakery out of business..Just another reason, IMO that Oberlin College should be burnt to the ground..
    Last edited by ralph; 06-15-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Site Supporter
    My daughter (a rising soph. in college) is an alpha female of the highest order. Rather liberal as the product of 14 years at a private college prep midwest day school where her mother was on faculty. Editor of the school newspaper, all state track, Girl Scout Gold Award, Homecoming Queen 97%+ on ACT and SAT subject matter tests etc. She spoke to the regional Oberlin rep at her school visit in the early fall. Oberlin liked her so much they flew her in to visit, all but said that she would be admitted and gave us "preliminary" financial aid award that was quite generous. She came back from the visit intrigued by the side by side "college" and "conservatory", excited by the kids she met, but stated that "it may be a bit too liberal, even for me."

She applied and was accepted with an even better award than originally projected. On her admitted student visit, her concerns fully materialized re the completely over the top PC nature of the school as first evidenced by the way they were instructed to introduce themselves--"Hello my name is Jane, my preferred pronouns are she, her etc." It only went more PC/Hyper liberal from there

She recognized the intellectual iron sharpens iron and even as a liberal, sparring with only liberals was not going to make her any sharper going forward. She stated that many students she met were so liberal that "the rose colored glasses they wear must be giving them thorns." She found the PC/Liberal nature of the school to the extreme, even when compared to Carlton, Barnard, MU, UVA and the ivies she visited and or was admitted to.

What is legal, just and maintainable after appeal to the Ohio and/or USSC may be at least three different things. Oberlin has and will have to spend real money to appeal these verdicts.
    They should be looking to cut losses sooner v. later.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    My daughter (a rising soph. in college) is an alpha female of the highest order. Rather liberal as the product of 14 years at a private college prep midwest day school where her mother was on faculty. Editor of the school newspaper, all state track, Girl Scout Gold Award, Homecoming Queen 97%+ on ACT and SAT subject matter tests etc. She spoke to the regional Oberlin rep at her school visit in the early fall. Oberlin liked her so much they flew her in to visit, all but said that she would be admitted and gave us "preliminary" financial aid award that was quite generous. She came back from the visit intrigued by the side by side "college" and "conservatory", excited by the kids she met, but stated that "it may be a bit too liberal, even for me."

She applied and was accepted with an even better award than originally projected. On her admitted student visit, her concerns fully materialized re the completely over the top PC nature of the school as first evidenced by the way they were instructed to introduce themselves--"Hello my name is Jane, my preferred pronouns are she, her etc." It only went more PC/Hyper liberal from there

She recognized the intellectual iron sharpens iron and even as a liberal, sparring with only liberals was not going to make her any sharper going forward. She stated that many students she met were so liberal that "the rose colored glasses they wear must be giving them thorns." She found the PC/Liberal nature of the school to the extreme, even when compared to Carlton, Barnard, MU, UVA and the ivies she visited and or was admitted to.

What is legal, just and maintainable after appeal to the Ohio and/or USSC may be at least three different things. Oberlin has and will have to spend real money to appeal these verdicts.
    Sounds like your daughter dodged a bullet there.
    Cutting their losses and moving on is something that liberals of this extreme aren't capable of doing, just like a 3 year old, they want a "do over" when things don't go their way.. IMO, these people really are borderline mentally ill.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post

Coming from a homeschooling household my daughter was given a short list of what we considered acceptable colleges. She had the credentials to go anywhere. She crushed the SAT in 5th grade and did high school in 3 years. We were very pleased when she visited and decided on Hillsdale College. She could have easily been 20 miles away at Yale however I happily drove her stuff the 720 miles to Hillsdale.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Coming from a homeschooling household my daughter was given a short list of what we considered acceptable colleges. She had the credentials to go anywhere. She crushed the SAT in 5th grade and did high school in 3 years. We were very pleased when she visited and decided on Hillsdale College. She could have easily been 20 miles away at Yale however I happily drove her stuff the 720 miles to Hillsdale.
    Well done sir.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List