Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Bren Ten fans here?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Do you think a newly made one today would garner the same value and respect?
    Think Hudson H9 is my thought...(well, Hudson H10?)

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-16-2019 at 07:20 AM.

No, it won't and that was a large part of the point I was trying to make. Whatever following the Bren Ten has is entirely due to nostalgia and its association with a particular 80s television show. It has absolutely nothing to do with its worth as a weapon. A new Bren Ten will have none of that association and it will only be seen as a "copy". That value through intrinsic association won't be there. We see this in every hobby and field of study. Vintage is hot right now in the watch world and every retro release is met with a certain amount of disdain from the community and seen as a "rip off". The new Sig P210 has seen the same criticism from collectors. It's not a "real" P210 like the old ones, regardless of any real quality factors. These are just two examples.

A new Bren Ten would receive the same response and for every hundred people who'd say they'd buy it maybe one actually would. In the niche world of collectors there might be a strong interest, but that won't provide enough capital to sustain the effort. There's a reason why every start up that's tried to resurrect it has failed. None of this makes the original less valuable as a collectable. Like all vintage things, it's valued more as a talisman than a tool and there's nothing wrong with that. I have plenty of guns in my own safe that fit that category.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 06-16-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

No Bucky, but they will certainly get away with selling them for a good deal more than a Tanfo 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    No, it won't and that was a large part of the point I was trying to make. Whatever following the Bren Ten has is entirely due to nostalgia and its association with a particular 80s television show. It has absolutely nothing to do with its worth as a weapon. A new Bren Ten will have none of that association and it will only be seen as a "copy". That value through intrinsic association won't be there. We see this in every hobby and field of study. Vintage is hot right now in the watch world and every retro release is met with a certain amount of disdain from the community and seen as a "rip off". The new Sig P210 has seen the same criticism from collectors. It's not a "real" P210 like the old ones, regardless of any real quality factors. These are just two examples.

A new Bren Ten would receive the same response and for every hundred people who'd say they'd buy it maybe one actually would. In the niche world of collectors there might be a strong interest, but that won't provide enough capital to sustain the effort. There's a reason why every start up that's tried to resurrect it has failed. None of this makes the original less valuable as a collectable. Like all vintage things, it's valued more as a talisman than a tool and there's nothing wrong with that. I have plenty of guns in my own safe that fit that category.
    Having been a serious collector for many years, there’s no doubt a new Bren Ten will need to be priced a lot lower than what the D&D Bren Ten brings. I also don’t see it as a large production gun, unless a big dollar company builds it, which I doubt.

They will still sell for a considerable sum. The originals are unobtainable to most people who either can’t find or can’t afford them. It’s going to cost a company money to tool up and build them and that will be passed along to the customers. There WILL definitely be a waiting list, unless they are mass produced, which is very highly doubtful.

The Bren is a very unique looking gun and that will be a selling point.

As for the P210, it’s apples and oranges. The American models use a cheaper design and are built with MIM parts. A new Bren should be a much higher quality gun than the original, unlike the P210A, which is nothing of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
    Having been a serious collector for many years, there’s no doubt a new Bren Ten will need to be priced a lot lower than what the D&D Bren Ten brings. I also don’t see it as a large production gun, unless a big dollar company builds it, which I doubt.

They will still sell for a considerable sum. The originals are unobtainable to most people who either can’t find or can’t afford them. It’s going to cost a company money to tool up and build them and that will be passed along to the customers. There WILL definitely be a waiting list, unless they are mass produced, which is very highly doubtful.

The Bren is a very unique looking gun and that will be a selling point.

As for the P210, it’s apples and oranges. The American models use a cheaper design and are built with MIM parts. A new Bren should be a much higher quality gun than the original, unlike the P210A, which is nothing of the sort.
    I kinda agree with trooper, the Bren10 was cool in the day, hell, I even wanted one.. but as was pointed out, the demand for a remake, reissue, whatever you want to call it, just isn't there. Nobody is going to sink millions into a startup for a pistol that never got all the problems completely worked out. I remember when Mauser in the 70's was making Lugers..I had a friend that had one, and I got to put 3 of the 6 rounds it ever fired through it.These were very high quality pistols, and they functioned perfectly. Problem was, as Mauser figured out rather quickly, they were labor intensive to make, lots of hand fitting on the toggle, Mauser made them for about 2-3 years and threw in the towel.. To make a higher quality, reliable, Bren 10, I could see it costing north of $2500, and I just don't see people lining up to buy at that price, especially when there's too many better pistols around for less. The cool factor goes only so far, and the cool factor alone won't be enough to support someone making these, and keep them in business.. You're lucky you have two wonderful examples complete with magazines, that alone puts you about a lightyear ahead of those who bought the pistol, without the mags on the promise that the mags would be delivered "later" later never came.. IMO, maybe it's time to let the Bren 10 fade into the past...
    Last edited by ralph; 06-16-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I kinda agree with trooper, the Bren10 was cool in the day, hell, I even wanted one.. but as was pointed out, the demand for a remake, reissue, whatever you want to call it, just isn't there. Nobody is going to sink millions into a startup for a pistol that never got all the problems completely worked out. I remember when Mauser in the 70's was making Lugers..I had a friend that had one, and I got to put 3 of the 6 rounds it ever fired through it.These were very high quality pistols, and they functioned perfectly. Problem was, as Mauser figured out rather quickly, they were labor intensive to make, lots of hand fitting on the toggle, Mauser made them for about 2-3 years and threw in the towel.. To make a higher quality, reliable, Bren 10, I could see it costing north of $2500, and I just don't see people lining up to buy at that price, especially when there's too many better pistols around for less. The cool factor goes only so far, and the cool factor alone won't be enough to support someone making these, and keep them in business.. You're lucky you have two wonderful examples complete with magazines, that alone puts you about a lightyear ahead of those who bought the pistol, without the mags on the promise that the mags would be delivered "later" later never came.. IMO, maybe it's time to let the Bren 10 fade into the past...
    I'm not arguing that point. I'm not even an advocate of it being rebuilt. This thread wasn't about a remake. I honestly don't want to see it and I agree it would cost a fortune for a company to do. However, if someone does it right, I could easily see people shelling out $2500 for one. Especially if its on a limited basis, which I would think would be the case.

I'm not saying it would be profitable for the manufacturer. I'm just saying if done right, I think people would go for it. They buy high end 1911's left and right for more than that and there's absolutely nothing unique about them.

Quote Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
    I'm not arguing that point. I'm not even an advocate of it being rebuilt. This thread wasn't about a remake. I honestly don't want to see it and I agree it would cost a fortune for a company to do. However, if someone does it right, I could easily see people shelling out $2500 for one. Especially if its on a limited basis, which I would think would be the case.

I'm not saying it would be profitable for the manufacturer. I'm just saying if done right, I think people would go for it. They buy high end 1911's left and right for more than that and there's absolutely nothing unique about them.
    Well, that's the problem, if it's not going to be profitable (and I can't see how) then it's just not going to be done. Until someone could demonstrate that even producing them on a limited run, would be profitable enough to pay for the material, labor, and tooling, it's just not going to happen. It's one thing to have a passion for a design like the Bren 10, but, it's another thing entirely to make them and then try to convince people to buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Well, that's the problem, if it's not going to be profitable (and I can't see how) then it's just not going to be done. Until someone could demonstrate that even producing them on a limited run, would be profitable enough to pay for the material, labor, and tooling, it's just not going to happen. It's one thing to have a passion for a design like the Bren 10, but, it's another thing entirely to make them and then try to convince people to buy them.
    It would need to be a healthy enough company that could give it a run. Vltor would have been ideal, but they flaked.

Man I wish I had a Bren!

Can you find holster and parts for a tangfolio? Are they actually reliable? I always wanted to try one but never seen one in the wild.

10mm is God's caliber.

Site Supporter
    If the Bren itself is an anachronism today... the 10mm seems to be doing just fine. But when I think of the guns available today to launch 10mm, 1911s, Glocks and an oversized P220 are my main options (Tanfoglio too, I guess). Subjectively, I'm not sure any of those platforms really match the "personality" of the 10mm like the Bren or the Smith 10XXs did.

In a way, I think FK Brno is kinda doing the same thing with the Field Pistol, albeit in a more Euro-refined way. It's the ultimate handgun... ahem... hand cannon. Just like the Bren was supposed to be. But I think the Bren had more swagger. And so did the 1006. The FK has more snob appeal.

So... even if they never remake the Bren, I think there might be interest in something like it: big, sexy service pistol with magnum power. Not sure anyone really sees the Desert Eagle as anything more than a curiosity. Not sure the Coonan has the character.

User Tag List