Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Bren Ten fans here?

I don't know if CZ would, or could- but the 97 would probably also work out as a big, bad 10mm launcher.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Yeah. Totally. I bet it would sell. I mean, the Bren had loose roots in the CZ design, anyway (Bren is an homage to Brno, I think).

That's sort of what the Tanfoglio is... but I think an actual CZ would have more appeal.

People have been asking for a 10mm CZ97 for years, but so far they haven't bit. I'm not sure if CZ has done the market research, and determined it isn't viable, or if they are leaving money on the table.

I'd be super tempted to buy one as a just because gun.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    People have been asking for a 10mm CZ97 for years, but so far they haven't bit. I'm not sure if CZ has done the market research, and determined it isn't viable, or if they are leaving money on the table.

I'd be super tempted to buy one as a just because gun.
    Likewise- it's a big beast of a gun that seems a touch too big for .45, but just right for 10mm for some reason.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post

In a way, I think FK Brno is kinda doing the same thing with the Field Pistol, albeit in a more Euro-refined way. It's the ultimate handgun... ahem... hand cannon. Just like the Bren was supposed to be. But I think the Bren had more swagger. And so did the 1006. The FK has more snob appeal.
    The FK might have more swagger over time. Until then, its one of the best shooting pistols I ever fired...about as close to perfection as it gets..

Putting on my MBA hat for a moment, the fundamental problems with the Bren Ten are twofold:
    One is functionality
    Two is customer base.

The functionality problem is a showstopper. No disrespect to current owners, but I’ve read documentation to the effect the older models aren't safe to shoot due to suspect metallurgy. Here is a picture of a more obvious example.

Most affected won’t have visible flaws- until the owner fires one hot 10mm round too many. Making a new one which corrects these flaws and withstands 10mm loadings will cost substantial amounts of investment money . In 1987 10,000 rounds through a weapon between failures was exemplary. Today that’s a market expectation. Making a modern Bren Ten that can go toe to toe with a Glock 20 or Springfield XDm = more investment capital.

Article source; http://nordicg3k.tripod.com/website/id22.html

The other problem is customer base. We can demonstrate this with another Miami Vice favorite- the S&W 645, Crockett’s prop gun after the Bren Ten. Once I went to a local range with my example and met with some S&W reps who coincidentally had a open house day. At the table full of late model M&P 2.0s, the grey haired S&W staff had never heard of the 645; and it was a pistol their own employer built! They spent a decent amount of time checking out my example, as it was the first one they’d seen or heard of in person.

I know here and among gun fans the Bren Ten has a legendary reputation, but to most gun owners it’s an arcane and unknown relic. If the 645 from the same period isn’t even well known among the company’s current staff, there’s no way your typical mass market gun owner would know or care about the Bren Ten. Not without substantial advertising = more investment capital.

The ONLY way I’d see a Bren Ten reissue being profitable is if a firm limited production to 250 or less, lined up a list of VIP gun owners and charged way north of $2500. Likely $5.5K or more per example, complete with engraving & custom hardwood display box signed by Don Johnson. And one high polished magazine
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
    The FK might have more swagger over time. Until then, its one of the best shooting pistols I ever fired...about as close to perfection as it gets..

Hubba hubba.

I should get a FK before it sells out and goes mainstream.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I should get a FK before it sells out and goes mainstream.
    And it's not like you really need that kidney anyway.

Site Supporter
    That FK looks... delicious. Also, I'm assuming you've all heard there's a polymer variant available now (or will be soon). It looks nearly as awesome, in a different kind of way.

Back to the 10mm...

I think it's more or less seen as the "magnum" automatic round. Seems to have a sort of reverence, all its own. That said, it doesn't really have a native platform--and that's what the Bren was supposed to be. So, perhaps that's what we're all missing, with the Bren: not necessarily the gun itself (which was clearly flawed), but the idea of purpose-built 10mm... ahem, .40 magnum. At least that's my purely amateur, pseudo-scientific "gun psychology" reasoning.

User Tag List