Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Bren Ten fans here?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    Great pistols. About as close as you are likely to get right now is one of the Witness Pro in 10MM, but there is hope a reproduction of the Bren Ten will be available this year. It will use Witness Megar 10MM Magazines instead of the original magazines to my disappointment, but at least magazines will be available.
    Really? From who?

Of course, I just sold my Glock 20 and am in the middle of divesting all the 10mm support gear when this news rolls in...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    Great pistols. About as close as you are likely to get right now is one of the Witness Pro in 10MM, but there is hope a reproduction of the Bren Ten will be available this year. It will use Witness Megar 10MM Magazines instead of the original magazines to my disappointment, but at least magazines will be available.
    Vltor finally going to put something out?

No

It’s a Chuck Warner gun. Not exactly a Bren Ten, but pretty close.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Beautiful examples as always. Coolest? Since I've a actually shot one, I'd call it one of the biggest turds of the 80s. I understand the nostalgia, but the overall fascination with this clunker makes the mind boggle.
    I’ve heard references to the questionable quality control/quirks... but what exactly was wrong with them? And yes... for looks, “post-industrial hand cannon chic” never goes out of style.

Been 10

I had one in ‘84 or ‘85. Mine had a .45 conversion kit that included barrel,slide and a .45 magazine. Thought it would work for my soon to be starting job with the Marshals Service but the 2 mags was all I could get. The 45 mag would work with 10mm ammo and I don’t recall any function issues but things like the thumb safety looked really fragile.Also have some of the original Norma ammo downstairs in 170 jpg and 200 grain fan.Finally traded it for a sack full of guns at the Roanoke gun show in ‘86 or ‘87. A colt delta Elite was one gun I got in the trade.

I well remember the Bren Ten and Col. Cooper's endorsement of it in the latter '80s, as a sort of "long range equivalent of the .45 Auto".

I also remember the initial but short-lived enthusiasm for the guns (there were several models) when Dornaus and Dixon were unable to supply magazines.

Yours is a rarity and a true period piece.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I’ve heard references to the questionable quality control/quirks... [b]but what exactly was wrong with them?[b] And yes... for looks, “post-industrial hand cannon chic” never goes out of style.
    One of the things El Patrone liked abouth the CZ75 was its ergonomics. Unfortunately, most of that feel seemed to be lost in translation with the Bren Ten. In handling it was a real clunker of a gun. It also had questionable features, like the drum style safety lock on the slide. Most of all, the QC just wasn't there. Workmanship was shoddy and the quality if the small parts was subpar. I've read that the ones used on Miami Vice could hardly get through a scene without something breaking. It was one of those great ideas that turned out to be totally underwhelming in execution.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

They are definitely more conversation pieces than they are shooters, but they have a ton of cool factor and mystique. They are icons. Only 1500 or so built when you combine all the variants. The Special Forces Light shown above is one of only 75.

Case in point, I posted a few Sphinx as well, which are infinitely higher quality, better shooting pistols.

Look which thread gets all the attention...

Cool

So, should we be waiting for a thread on the similarly iconic (at least in someone at Colt's mind...) period Colt 2000 with metal frames and polished to the nines?

Just giving you a hard time, bac1023. Your collection, comments and images are much appreciated.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 06-13-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List