Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Talon grip stick-ons for Shield: rubber or granulate?

I have been using the granulate version for years. I use sandpaper to make it less abrasive on the body side of my carry pistol for comfort purposes. Never tried the rubber ones
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

I know I'm late to the party, but...

I know I'm late to the party, but for those still researching the question, I vote for granulate. Read on if you need more info...

I purchased my first Beretta last year, a PX4 Storm Compact Inox, and I almost immediately put the rubberized grips on it, but here's the truth. Just as peoples' bodies differ in other ways, skin texture can also vary from person to person. I had my grip strength tested and it was above average, but I find the rubberized grips too smooth to get a good purchase. In fact, a Glock Gen4 becomes more slippery to me with rubberized Talon Grips installed, so I go with the granulate depending on the gun. In fact, the only gun of mine I need them for is my PX4.

I think the granulate is perfect for shooting and is not too rough on my hands at all; however, I only choose to put them on pistols I am less likely to carry against my bare skin because it is a bit much for my stomach. I don't care if I tear up a t-shirt as I go through them fairly quickly anyway, but other clothing and bear skin around the abdominal and waist can be an issue. Perhaps not for an hour or two, but I can't see carrying this everyday against my skin all day. Beretta really needs to come out with a better grip texture to resolve the issue. I love my M2.0 Shield's grip, for example. I do NOT find it too abrasive for my stomach (not that it's completely comfortable). If anything, I wish it was as aggressive as the M&P M2.0 Compact I had which was slightly grippier in my opinion and also did not bother my abdominal skin.

So the answer is that it depends on your hands and carrying needs. Some are more slippery than others. The rubberized grips do nothing for me. The granulate is great but not necessarily ideal for a person's bare stomach (or certain clothing). I will probably end up stippling mine before it warms up, but I also have other pistols I carry in warmer weather.

Name:  Beretta PX4 Storm Compact Inox with Granulate Talon Grips and Ameriglo sights.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  101.3 KB
    “There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” – Herbert Spencer

Got an email from Talon indicating their new Pro-Grip "rubber-granulate" texture would be shipping 4/29.

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-04-17 15-13-51.png
Views: 565
Size:  50.9 KB

For ref: https://talongungrips.com/

Most likely going to give this a try on my 43X.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    I know I'm late to the party, but for those still researching the question, I vote for granulate. Read on if you need more info...

I purchased my first Beretta last year, a PX4 Storm Compact Inox, and I almost immediately put the rubberized grips on it, but here's the truth. Just as peoples' bodies differ in other ways, skin texture can also vary from person to person. I had my grip strength tested and it was above average, but I find the rubberized grips too smooth to get a good purchase. In fact, a Glock Gen4 becomes more slippery to me with rubberized Talon Grips installed, so I go with the granulate depending on the gun. In fact, the only gun of mine I need them for is my PX4.

I think the granulate is perfect for shooting and is not too rough on my hands at all; however, I only choose to put them on pistols I am less likely to carry against my bare skin because it is a bit much for my stomach. I don't care if I tear up a t-shirt as I go through them fairly quickly anyway, but other clothing and bear skin around the abdominal and waist can be an issue. Perhaps not for an hour or two, but I can't see carrying this everyday against my skin all day. Beretta really needs to come out with a better grip texture to resolve the issue. I love my M2.0 Shield's grip, for example. I do NOT find it too abrasive for my stomach (not that it's completely comfortable). If anything, I wish it was as aggressive as the M&P M2.0 Compact I had which was slightly grippier in my opinion and also did not bother my abdominal skin.

So the answer is that it depends on your hands and carrying needs. Some are more slippery than others. The rubberized grips do nothing for me. The granulate is great but not necessarily ideal for a person's bare stomach (or certain clothing). I will probably end up stippling mine before it warms up, but I also have other pistols I carry in warmer weather.

Name:  Beretta PX4 Storm Compact Inox with Granulate Talon Grips and Ameriglo sights.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  101.3 KB
    I tried both types on my 43x. Hated them, the rubber did nothing and the granulate was too aggressive. I ended up getting the gun stippled by Overwatch Precision since they had a great price and are local so I was able to avoid shipping by dropping it off.
    Name:  18052358-CDFC-4DD8-AFAE-71049C4A7FAC.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  50.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    I tried both types on my 43x. Hated them, the rubber did nothing and the granulate was too aggressive. I ended up getting the gun stippled by Overwatch Precision since they had a great price and are local so I was able to avoid shipping by dropping it off.
    Name:  18052358-CDFC-4DD8-AFAE-71049C4A7FAC.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  50.5 KB
    That looks awesome. How would you compare it to say a standard compact or full-size M&P M2.0 texture?
    “There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to investigation.” – Herbert Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    That looks awesome. How would you compare it to say a standard compact or full-size M&P M2.0 texture?
    It’s slightly more aggressive then that but I have no issue carrying it AIWB against my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Got an email from Talon indicating their new Pro-Grip "rubber-granulate" texture would be shipping 4/29.

Name:  Screenshot from 2020-04-17 15-13-51.png
Views: 565
Size:  50.9 KB

For ref: https://talongungrips.com/

Most likely going to give this a try on my 43X.
    Today and tomorrow, these are $5 off, $19.99, with free shipping. I ordered a set for my G19 game gun and the G43X EDC. Will report back once installed and range trip completed.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I have rubber Talon grips (and similar k nockoffs) on my small frame Glocks. It adds enough grip but is still comfortable against bare skin. Granulate always seemed too rough for IWB carry.

I have used the rubber grips on my 1st gen Shield 9 since they came out. Huge improvement over the slick grip of the Shield. The granulate ones are awesome as well and that I what I was running on my home handgun for years. I just ordered some PRO grips for my Shield to give a try.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Today and tomorrow, these are $5 off, $19.99, with free shipping. I ordered a set for my G19 game gun and the G43X EDC. Will report back once installed and range trip completed.
    Is there a code for that? It came up as $24.99 for me.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List