Thread: Shoulder tightness and shooting from zero cant, strong side holsters

Site Supporter

Shoulder tightness and shooting from zero cant, strong side holsters

Due to some injuries and regular lifting my shoulders tend to be pretty tight. I noticed in my last steel challenge match that every once in a while my hand wouldn't make it far enough back on the draw and I would come down on the hammer rather than the gun's grip. I had to move my hand further back to get a grip on the gun and draw, slowing me down.

I worked out this morning, with some focused shoulder work at the end and due to my tightened shoulders I was doing it even more in dry fire. So I started experimenting as my competition holster is a zero cant holster that has to be behind the hip bone.

I get in my normal squared up to the target position, then twist slightly (I mean it didn't seem to take very much at all) at my waist towards the gun side. My normal draw was much more consistent at getting a good grip before coming up and I was squared up again before I even leveled the gun.

Anyone else experimented with this? Seemed more consistent in dry fire, need to get it on the timer and I have another match this weekend I'll try it in. Might be an idea for people who aren't the most flexible besides trying to stretch out the shoulders before a match.

I carry appendix so no worries there.

I have the same thought. I run my competition holster w/ a forward cant. To me, in side view the gun needs to be centered at approximately the seem in my pants. It would be easier if it could be 1-1.5 inches forward of that but not allowed. So I cant it forward. The holster has multiple holes allowing 2 options of forward or rearward cant and I am just using one from vertical. I tried running it vertical and had the beavertail jamming into the base of my thumb.

Site Supporter
    I urge you to ask your doctor about muscle relaxers which may help you to correct this when doing stretching exercises. Google for exercises. Use ice afterwards. Further, for me nsaids like Aleve and Advil have been helpful in relieving inflammation which likely is part of the problem, especially if you have arthritis. Years ago, I let this very thing go untreated with disatrous consequences.

When I draw from surrender my waist rotates the gun hip forward to allow my hand to get a proper grip. It developed on it's own in dryfire probably because from surrender my hand is coming in from the front slightly. I have seen other shooters in video do this as well. It is something to test. I have never done it with hands down at sides though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I urge you to ask your doctor about muscle relaxers which may help you to correct this when doing stretching exercises. Google for exercises. Use ice afterwards. Further, for me nsaids like Aleve and Advil have been helpful in relieving inflammation which likely is part of the problem, especially if you have arthritis. Years ago, I let this very thing go untreated with disatrous consequences.
    Thank you, I will look into that.

I'm in good shape, but had some injuries so I'm likely in a lifetime of rehab which just means a lot of targeted work beyond general compound lifts. Helps motivate me to stay in shape and is way better than surgery. One thing that has really helped my shoulders become more stable in the entire range of motion is Smashwerx bulletproof shoulders: https://www.instagram.com/p/ByJNjQihLhB/. The premise is LIGHT load and working through the entire shoulder range of motion. Has really increased stability throughout the whole range beyond the basic mil press/overhead press stuff I was doing and seems to help break up scar tissue and other stuff that has limited movement/mobility.

There's more to life than medication. I suggest that you see a physiotherapist and/or a massage therapist about your shoulder mobility. More benefits, and with fewer downsides, compared to any medication.

https://breakingmuscle.co.uk/uk/fitn...ulder-mobility

This would be a pretty good starting place.

I've been working on shoulder/scapular mobility for a couple years and it's been a game changer, it can't hurt you try. 1) You didn't get screwed up overnight, you've put in a lifetime of hard work to get your shoulders in their current condition. It's going to take a while to improve them, be wary of anyone that promises you fast results. 2) It can't hurt to work on your shoulders but they may not even be the problem.

Watching people shoot, people with good posture usually end up shooting with just ok posture. People with bad posture usually end up looking the Hunchback of Notre Dame when they shoot. If you are hunching over when you shoot or more importantly hunching over in preparation to shoot, the point that you are indexing at to reach your pistol will move forward a couple inches. If you can get someone to film you at your next match, that'll give you a different perspective to analyze what's going on.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    I'm the poster boy for screwing up in the area of having shoulder problems and having neglected taking corrective action. One result is 24/7 pain, another is two locked in place shoulders, a third is weakness, and a fourth is requiring help to get dressed. Arthritis is the main cause, but my unwise decisions brought about the current situation. Do I obsess on the status quo? I do not. My intent for posting is to urge others to proceed in a different manner.

I've had great success with various shoulder, elbow and knee problems by visiting my orthopedic surgeon, who in each case sent me to one of the physical therapists in his practice. They, the PTs, are great about prescribing various light stretching and other exercises with varying strength elastic bands to rehab, strengthen and/or increase flexibility as needed.

And, on occasion the orthopedist will give me a cortisone shot or anti-inflammatory prescription.

But the PT's targeted exercises are much better, in my opinion, than picking and choosing off the internet or from a book.

User Tag List