Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Worst training advice ever

Quote Originally Posted by UniSol View Post
    I just spent 8 months behind the counter at a high volume dealer in North Alabama, this is true.
    Which Larry's location? Madison or North Parkway?

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Which Larry's location? Madison or North Parkway?
    Parkway.

I heard things I personally considered less than accurate on the employee side from time to time, but by and large the advice , when solicited, was sound. Management was also quick to hem up an employee if they thought someone was out of their lane or being rude. That's just one place though and just my experience there for a short time. I did feel like the 2 main gun guy customer types I encountered were the well meaning Bubba or the know it all gun neophyte that probably spent a lot of time on Arfcom and was convinced that they were going to snipe the gun counter guy and expose you as an ill informed, you know, gun counter guy.
    Last edited by UniSol; 06-13-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Y’know, my opinion is that the information age has even trickled into the mom n pop gun stores. I have not just 1, but 3 places local to me where I could take a new shooter, and trust that the guys (and 1 or 2 gals) behind the counter would give them rock solid advice and options. Even the 4th place I poke my head in to regularly isn't bad, but 2 of the places had ECQC alum behind the counters, and 2 had multiple Marines with combat experience. One place had a dude who was both (suffice to say, I’m still friends with that guy, even though he’s moved on from the industry)

Anyhoo, it’s different environment than when I was young, for sure.

The customers can be a different story, but I have the luxury of assuming that they’re all paid to do something else.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Y’know, my opinion is that the information age has even trickled into the mom n pop gun stores.
    Or as my dad recently said regarding our business, “I’m convinced more and more people are using the internet.”

Yes Dad. Yes they are.

I’ve been working in construction full time since I was 15. So who are you going to believe, me or some random guy on the internet with zero credentials? The random guy obviously, he said you’re right and I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The amount of derp seen in gun shops SHOULD fill volumes.
    If you and Tam collaborated on this and covered both sides of the counter I would buy ten copies on the spot

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    If you and Tam collaborated on this and covered both sides of the counter I would buy ten copies on the spot
    Those behind the counter have seen at least a couple of magnitudes more derp.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List