Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Acro battery life thread

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It was easier to do it on a slide. So, 16:52, Friday, June 14, 2019, the test starts. Unit is on high, which is 3 clicks above the setting that the unit awakes to.
    Name:  CB464060-16E4-4997-A686-6BD77EC6F052.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  61.5 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Just one anecdote, but right now I am turning on an unmounted Acro on high with a new battery, and setting it on my bench, in about 70F temperatures. Will see what happens.
    Looking forward to your results.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    CR1225 battery has about 1/5th the capacity of the CR2032
    Likely the explanation right here.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

From what I’ve heard (nothing official, just dudes talking), the blue tent of the RMR lets it take less energy to have the dot appear bright, so there’s less strain on the battery. With Aimpoint trying real hard to keep the glass really clear, they’re having to use more power for the dot to be as bright at the higher settings.

I was completely sold on the idea of an Acro for a duty gun because of the closed emitter, despite only shooting one mag through one, but I think the battery issue makes it unacceptable for patrol work. Unless there’s something I’m missing, any reliability advantage is seemingly negated by the likelihood that my battery will crap the bed if I forgot to change it that week....

Quote Originally Posted by Trijicon
    When left on at the brightest setting (brightness setting #8), the battery should last around 25 days.
    As noted, the RMR uses a far larger battery, and also has lens coatings that help conserve battery life, while also imparting the undesirable blue tint, and it still doesn't make a full month.

I'm honestly kinda surprised that everyone felt blindsided by the short battery life; I had always assumed that I was going to have to do monthly battery changes once I had learned that they were using a CR1225. Should I need to bump it up to every two weeks, I would be disappointed, but not particularly shocked.

I've had my ACRO on since late April without issue, but I generally leave it on setting 6 (1 down from wakeup brightness) since it's on my bedside gun and I shoot almost exclusively indoors. Setting 8 seems to be about what's necessary for outdoor use; I think that if one gets into a habit of replacing the battery every 3 weeks it should work out decently well. At about $1 per battery, it's certainly financially viable for me, though I can understand why people might be pissed based on the previous battery life of the Micro series.

Anyone have data on how long it makes it on setting 8? If it can get past 21 days (or ideally, a month) without shutoff, that's about as good a data point as I can ask for.

I bought the P-1 because I wanted a low maintenance and worry-free optic for carry, or at least more so than the other current offerings. The Aimpoint name, closed emitter, cross-bolt mounting, and my experience with AP products sold me on the Acro. Frankly, it's the only reason I bought a 45 MOS and jumped into the the red dot on a pistol game. I figured with the advertised battery life of 1.5 years, I'd change the battery on my birthday each year and call it good. Having to change a battery bi-weekly or even monthly is far from worry-free. I won't be babysitting an optic on my carry gun.

I have an infrared laser thermometer, and will have a direct-milled ACRO on a G45 on the 28th. I got my sight on Monday, and inserted the factory battery.

I will be happy to do some testing regarding slide temps, etc. Since it will be Texas on a late June weekend whilst shooting on an asphalt-paved range, I do not predict Arctic readings.

I'm not a worry-wart, and trust them dudes with a Swedish accent.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    As noted, the RMR uses a far larger battery, and also has lens coatings that help conserve battery life, while also imparting the undesirable blue tint, and it still doesn't make a full month.

I'm honestly kinda surprised that everyone felt blindsided by the short battery life; I had always assumed that I was going to have to do monthly battery changes once I had learned that they were using a CR1225. Should I need to bump it up to every two weeks, I would be disappointed, but not particularly shocked.
    the rmr on the brightest sighting isn't needed to function though.. you can have your rmr usable in all conditions and change the battery once a year or even wait longer..

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I...trust them dudes with a Swedish accent.
    Me, too. They're on the right track here with the enclosed emitter. But right now they're a victim of their own reputation.

It really wasn't that long ago that the EO Tech had something like a 72 hour battery life. People shut them off when not actively in use and nobody made too big a fuss about it. Nobody really liked it but it was the cost of doing business. Then along comes Aimpoint and we now expect a year's worth of runtime on a usable setting.

For a beat cop or soldier I can see, and understand, the concerns over battery life. For the hobbyist, home defender or competitive shooter it shouldn't really that big a deal. Do you leave your bedside pistol at home during the day? Turn the dot off. Carry it to and from the grocery store? Turn it off when back home. Turn it back on when you get into bed and plug your cell phone in. Same goes for the weekend shooter. Put the gun in the safe with the dot turned off and don't worry about it until you take the gun out for your weekend match or range session.

With all the above said, Aimpoint might want to look into some type of motion sensor if they are handcuffed to the little battery and/or reduced life.

User Tag List