Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Acro battery life thread

Thank you to everyone who keeps updating battery life issues in great detail. I am at a loss to why Aimpoint chose this battery besides size.

Why oh why aimpoint???

Also sub forum is great, can not wait til all the red dot stuff is moved in here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Energizer does not make a CR1225 either. They make a 1225, but it's a different prefix than CR. I read the difference has something to do with power output, or max power output, but I'm not techy enough to articulate it more than that.
    I'm not sure if they still make the CR1225, but it's certainly something that they had (it's very easy to find an Energizer CR1225 datasheet), so it might simply be NOS that people are using, though it's also quite possible that they are simply misspeaking. They do have a BR1225 these days for sure; CR and BR are simply different chemistries, and have different output characteristics. For RDS purposes, I'm leaning toward BRs being slightly better, as they have a more steady discharge curve, and also have lower levels of self-discharge (for storage purposes), along with slightly better tolerance of high temperatures. CRs have the advantage in high current draw applications, but I doubt that an RDS would be classified as such.

https://www.master-instruments.com.a..._cr_series.pdf
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 06-25-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The dot is barely hanging in as of today, with the intensity of the dot on max, about like 5 with a fresh battery. Think this is 12 days since I started the test.
    The Acro is now dead. That makes 11.5 days, and some days less than that with full intensity available.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I'm not sure if they still make the CR1225, but it's certainly something that they had (it's very easy to find an Energizer CR1225 datasheet), so it might simply be NOS that people are using, though it's also quite possible that they are simply misspeaking. They do have a BR1225 these days for sure; CR and BR are simply different chemistries, and have different output characteristics. For RDS purposes, I'm leaning toward BRs being slightly better, as they have a more steady discharge curve, and also have lower levels of self-discharge (for storage purposes), along with slightly better tolerance of high temperatures. CRs have the advantage in high current draw applications, but I doubt that an RDS would be classified as such.

https://www.master-instruments.com.a..._cr_series.pdf

Excellent info. See, I knew somebody smarter would come along and splain' it. I've definitely seen the BR1225 Energizers on Amazon, but couldn't find any CR's. I checked the Energizer website, and it showed the BR's as their current equivalent. Not knowing enough about it, I figured there was a reason Aimpoint chose the CR version. What you said about the more steady BR discharge, combined with GJM's reported dimming then continuing to run for a couple days (on a CR), makes to grab a couple BR1225 Energizers and give it a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The Acro is now dead. That makes 11.5 days, and some days less than that with full intensity available.
    R.I.P.

I'm a big red dot fan, what with my aging eyes. And I'm pretty fastidious re: gun cleaning and maintenance. But, danged, however good it might otherwise be, I can't see a PMO with a less than two week battery life being a realistic choice.

I'd have a hard time going with a dot optic unless the battery life can be measured in at least months.

Really hope they get it sorted out. Quickly.

Can we clarify and standardize numerical references for power settings? I've seen some reference #9 as the highest setting.
    Last edited by StraitR; 06-25-2019 at 09:59 PM.

According to the manual the ACRO turns on at setting level 7 and 10 is the brightest. From what I’m gathering leaving it at 10 gets you about a week before dimming and 8 gets you about 2 months. (These times are just reported drain times from a couple individual units so not necessarily representative of all units / batteries) I’d be really interested in seeing drain times for levels 9 & 7 (my planned day / night settings)...
    Last edited by TCB; 06-25-2019 at 10:10 PM.

I'd also like to see a side by side comparison from someone who has more than one ACRO (cough, @GJM , cough). Both units with a fresh battery at the same time, both kept on the same brightness level, one left in ambient storage, and the other used on a practice gun.

This would, hopefully, tell us if a firing schedule will lessen the battery life. GJM's practice routine, would certainly add heat/shock into the equation

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I'd also like to see a side by side comparison from someone who has more than one ACRO (cough, @GJM , cough). Both units with a fresh battery at the same time, both kept on the same brightness level, one left in ambient storage, and the other used on a practice gun.

This would, hopefully, tell us if a firing schedule will lessen the battery life. GJM's practice routine, would certainly add heat/shock into the equation
    I just ordered some more batteries. I am about to head fishing to a remote lodge for a week, but when I am back maybe I can fire up two Acro’s on different settings and see how long they last.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Has any one requested a simple chart from Aimpoint on battery life? Seems like they should have all the data on how long the battery will last on each individual setting. You would think it shouldn't be difficult to get it straight from them versus individuals independently testing their own units over the course of weeks or months. They've been tight lipped about even acknowledging the short battery life on day light settings.

User Tag List