Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Acro battery life thread

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    They should have made it a rechargeable battery that used a USBc (like the Surefire Stiletto). Just plug it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A rechargeable would have way less capacity. TSANTetc. A charge path and a BMS also eats up space. And USB-C sucks, as do most non-inductive charge paths. Warranty work on connectors would be killer.

I agree with George that AP should have managed expectations better. I still think this is by far the best solution for carry of an RDS. It just is what it is.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Hammertime
    This sort of drama is the reason I left pistol optic world 4-5 years ago. My eyes don’t really require one, but I thought the ACRO would be my ticket back into optic life.

My condolences and thanks to those who took the big plunge and found out these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    My condolences and thanks to those who took the big plunge and found out these issues.
    Same. I just finished putting together a VP9 upper optic-host today, and I'll be waiting to see how this shakes out.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I still think this is by far the best solution for carry of an RDS. It just is what it is.
    How so? You are mitigating a limited incident environmental issue with a constantly recurring hardware issue. Mitigating the environmental issue (limited in scope) with a self imposed hardware issue (constantly recurring) is an asinine solution. Also, the financial aspect is impossible to ignore. It’s recommended to replace the RMR battery at its half life (about one year). If the same metric is applied to the ACRO, you will spend (going by price from Lowe’s online) about $150 a year on batteries alone.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It pains me to be comparing an Aimpoint product to an Eotech. For a decade or more, all I have heard is how poor battery life is on an Eotech, and how that is largely disqualifying for serious use. As bad as Eotech battery life was, short battery life is far easier to deal with on a carbine, than on a pistol that is worn continuously.

We have had RMR units out there for years, and when used as designed, their battery lasts a year or several years. Aimpoint batteries have lasted for years in their other red dot optics. Who would have thought that Aimpoint, known as the leader in battery life, would release a product, when used as we do with a pistol optic, that has battery life that is a fraction of the product they are competing with — the RMR.

Frankly, the Acro has been a hot mess since day one. It has been a couple years late, since first rumored to be released, and what ten months since it appeared on the Aimpoint website. For months, nobody has been able to get any straight info out of Aimpoint as to when units would ship. Then the users discover the battery life sucks. The product specs even if technically correct are clearly misleading. And we users are practically going to have to treat the Acro like an Apple Watch.

The Acro was supposed to be the product that finally brought the PMO to mainstream LE and EDC use, and my gut is this short battery life issue will keep it from being widely successful, and the Acro will turn out to be just another transitional product, hopefully soon to be superseded by something better.
    Eotech batteries were (generally) cheaper at least.

I have one. Waiting on a plate. I’ll put this one on a pistol in a travel bag for my truck. Turn it on if I really need it but have a little time to spare.

I sure hope AP fixes this. But for now I’ll look at other options...

I’ve got eyes that needp an RDS....
    Last edited by jeffhughes; 06-15-2019 at 09:10 PM.

“Turn it on when I need it” is the optic equivalent of carrying with an empty chamber...

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    How so? You are mitigating a limited incident environmental issue with a constantly recurring hardware issue. Mitigating the environmental issue (limited in scope) with a self imposed hardware issue (constantly recurring) is an asinine solution. Also, the financial aspect is impossible to ignore.
    I don’t think so. A predictable maintenance interval which results in reliable function is preferable to a design vulnerability which results in sudden and unpredictable failure.

The batteries in question are $0.60 each. If I go fucking nuts and replace the battery every ten days, that’s $22 per year.

Does the acro require dismount of the optic to replace the battery? How long does a battery swap take?
    Ignore Alien Orders

Maybe Surefire can bring out a pressure switch for the Acro, that when you squeeze, it turns the red dot on, and when you release it turns back off.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I don’t think so. A predictable maintenance interval which results in reliable function is preferable to a design vulnerability which results in sudden and unpredictable failure.

The batteries in question are $0.60 each. If I go fucking nuts and replace the battery every ten days, that’s $22 per year.

Does the acro require dismount of the optic to replace the battery? How long does a battery swap take?
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Battery-C...SABEgKmQPD_BwE
    Speedy battery changes shouldn’t be a selling point... Not needing to do it on a regular basis should. Do whatever you want. I’m done giving a shit about this dumpster fire of an optic. Sig handled the P320 discharging when dropped better than Aimpoint is handling ACRO battery life.

User Tag List