Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Acro battery life thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    So do we not have to re zero the aimpoint on battery changes?

That imho is nowhere near a livable change. I aint carrying a bunch of fucking batteries and tools with me when I go out of town or have shit do. I’ll take my rmr 2 and my year plus battery life that has yet to fail me thank you.

The “Aimpoint battery/tool kit” may be a good invention for someone. Make a handy pouch with tools and a dozen batteries. Or make it kydex and you can carry it instead of a extra mag. Fml

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As a general rule, I haven’t had to rezero my RMR after a battery change. I needed to confirm. Never had to adjust the optic. It was always right where it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Sig handled the P320 discharging when dropped better than Aimpoint is handling ACRO battery life.
    Poor battery life is an irritation. A pistol discharging when dropped is a menace to society. Frankly, I don't see how people continue to look past that problem. I sure as hell don't, particularly when I see bubba butterfingers start fumbling his 320. The Acro has been out for a month, let's save the comparisons to other shitty corporate responses for now.
    Last edited by StraitR; 06-15-2019 at 11:07 PM.

As a general rule, I haven’t had to rezero my RMR after a battery change. I needed to confirm. Never had to adjust the optic. It was always right where it should be.

How does the aimpoint work with battery changes though? You would still have to shoot to confirm even if you do not need to re zero.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Poor battery life is an irritation. A pistol discharging when dropped is a menace to society. Frankly, I don't see how people continue to look past that problem. I sure as hell don't, particularly when I see bubba butterfingers start fumbling his 320. The Acro has been out for a month, let's save the comparisons to other shitty corporate responses for now.
    I’m sure the battery life issue just appeared out of mid air like the drop/bang issue. Want to know the shittiest corporate response? “Let the consumer figure it out”. That is what Aimpoint did. And it is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    How does the aimpoint work with battery changes though? You would still have to shoot to confirm even if you do not need to re zero.

You should always confirm zero after a battery change... How the battery is changed is irrelevant. Power was completely cut from the sight then returned. It’s dumb to not confirm zero.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Who would have thought that Aimpoint, known as the leader in battery life, would release a product, when used as we do with a pistol optic, that has battery life that is a fraction of the product they are competing with — the RMR.
    "Past Performance Is Not Necessarily Indicative of Future Results"

It may be repeated reflexively in financial markets but there's a reason it exists.

Given that Trijicon was able to make a top-loading battery compartment in the SRO, which uses the RMR's footprint, I would not be surprised to see a Type 3 RMR in the near future contain that feature. Which would certainly eat into some of the selling points for the Acro, for the average, non-duty, user.

The Acro was supposed to be the product that finally brought the PMO to mainstream LE and EDC use, and my gut is this short battery life issue will keep it from being widely successful, and the Acro will turn out to be just another transitional product, hopefully soon to be superseded by something better.
    Unfortunately much of the letdown seems to be from Aimpoint not managing expectations and billing, or allowing their spokesmen to bill, the Acro as a "game changer" instead of a "transitional product". Hopefully the mounting system/footprint is retained and used on further closed-emitter systems as it does appear superior.

While we can question his testing methods, Aaron Cowan has experienced failures in the Acro's glass; it is promising that his unit did not suffer a loss of zero. However, we simply do not have enough data to be able to say Acros are "more rugged" or "less rugged" than something like an RMR. While the closed-emitter design does prevent occlusion of the dot that is only one aspect.

Again, this is likely resultant of how the Acro was billed, or more specifically the fact that Aimpoint gave little to no information for several months, and let the internet's collective mind run wild with fantastical dreams.

Site Supporter
    You should always confirm zero after a battery change... How the battery is changed is irrelevant. Power was completely cut from the sight then returned. It’s dumb to not confirm zero.

Based on my experience so far, I am happy verifying co-witness with my irons, which I can do anytime, anywhere. It is part of my daily routine, just after a press check. I will accept the answer that I am just lazy, but there it is.

pat

Is this a thing? Cutting power to a RDO can change it’s zero? News to me...I’ve changed a lot of batteries on RDO’s over the years and never seen this phenomenon, or ever heard of it. Please elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    Is this a thing? Cutting power to a RDO can change it’s zero? News to me...I’ve changed a lot of batteries on RDO’s over the years and never seen this phenomenon, or ever heard of it. Please elaborate.
    I don’t think it’s a thing, especially on the ACRO. The physical position of the emitter/lens/optic hasn’t changed, so why would the zero? I think certain people here are vastly overblowing the issue to make themselves feel better about the purchase of an alternative product.

Monthly battery changes on setting 8 of a $.60-$1 battery mounted on the side of the optic is absolutely not an issue to me. If it is for other people, then they need to just move on. It’s a letdown but IMO not the massive controversy that a number of people are pretending it is. Set a recurring Google Calendar reminder and live your life. I’m just turning it down when it goes in the nightstand and that’s that.
    Last edited by einherjarvalk; 06-16-2019 at 04:22 AM.

Between my wife’s competition pistols and mine, I have probably changed 100 2032 batteries, and never has that caused a change in zero on the DP Pro. With the decal slipping reliability problems, I would open the battery compartment and inspect almost daily.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List