Thread: Dovetail, picatinny, or milled slide for .22 LR?

Dovetail, picatinny, or milled slide for .22 LR?

I have a CZ Kadet that I'd like to put a red dot on and I haven't come across anyone on various forums that milled their slide. A few options I've seen are to replace the rear sight with a dovetail mount or tap the top and install a picatinny rail.

I don't have any experience with pistol mounted dots and wanted to know if one of those options are better than the other? The most expensive route is to mill the slide but I'm not sure if there's enough metal to remove so that the dot can sit lower. I've reached out to a local gunsmith about it and he ordered a Kadet kit to see if it was doable.

Another option I've seen is to get a 1911/trijicon mounting plate that was mentioned in another thread about BHP but the cost of the plate + milling adds up.

My usage would just be plinking at the range and think I've decided on the Holosun 507C V2. Would the various heights even matter since I'm not going to CC it?

https://shop.springerprecision.com/c...ovetail-mount/
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    I have a CZ Kadet that I'd like to put a red dot on and I haven't come across anyone on various forums that milled their slide. A few options I've seen are to replace the rear sight with a dovetail mount or tap the top and install a picatinny rail.

I don't have any experience with pistol mounted dots and wanted to know if one of those options are better than the other? The most expensive route is to mill the slide but I'm not sure if there's enough metal to remove so that the dot can sit lower. I've reached out to a local gunsmith about it and he ordered a Kadet kit to see if it was doable.

Another option I've seen is to get a 1911/trijicon mounting plate that was mentioned in another thread about BHP but the cost of the plate + milling adds up.

My usage would just be plinking at the range and think I've decided on the Holosun 507C V2. Would the various heights even matter since I'm not going to CC it?

https://shop.springerprecision.com/c...ovetail-mount/
    I just had a local guy fit a #62 Weaver base onto my Kadet. He mills the base somewhat to fit the contour of the Kadet and drilled and tapped it. I put a Holosun 507c on it. He likes.to use the 62 because its long and takes an Ultra dot nicely. If you take the red dot off you can use the irons. He uses four screws to attach the base, so you can cut the base down if you want a more streamlined look. Name:  IMG_1437.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  40.0 KB

I have a Kadet gun from when they sold complete units. I was thinking of seeing if I could just have the top drilled and tapped for the optic, since it does not reciprocate. Haven't measured to see if that would work yet.

User Tag List