Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Acro battery life thread

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Which is why I said I realize they are different. But I am still wondering if you confirm zero?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GJM practically shoots in his sleep. He spends more time at the range than I spend in my apartment (I don’t know the exact numbers, but this could actually be true). He’d know if his optic was off.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    This isn’t an attack on you, but for new shooters or for people who don’t understand red dots, if you don’t have to dismount the optic, there is no reason based on physics or science to check the zero. Functionally that’s like saying you have to re-zero an optic every time you turn off your optic and then turn it back on. The only thing changing a battery does is create a lack of electrons for all the electronic bits. The mechanical led housing, which is moved with the windage and elevation screws isn’t going to move because the electronics don’t have electrons.
    Even if battery replacement was a monthly occurrence, is it to much to ask that someone go to the range once a month?

Not my line of work, but I understand the SF guys change their batteries every day, when they are doing stuff. Hard to imagine they go verify zero every day they change batteries.

In all my years of shooting Aimpoints, I have never seen or heard of a zero change from a battery change. Frankly, this thread is the first I have heard of a possible zero change from changing a battery on a top or side loading (battery) optic. I have never observed a zero shift in my many DP Pro optics. I have never heard of another competitor discussing zero shift after a battery change in an optic that can get a fresh battery without removing the optic.

As a practical matter, I verify zero in every range session, but not because I changed a battery.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Even if battery replacement was a monthly occurrence, is it to much to ask that someone go to the range once a month?

Yeah, but they should do that for a quantifiable reason, like shooting a handgun is a perishable skill. They shouldn’t feel the need to go for some superstitious reason such as the tail of an orange cat brushed your left leg after 6pm on the sabbath or they replaced the battery on an their Acro.

I'm reminded of the time when the MRO was released and some folks at M4carbine.net lost it because the optics had a bluish tint and the front lens was angled. There was huge thread about it.

Everyone wanted to know if a recall would be issued or if a new design would be coming out and it turns out that those were simply part of the design of the MRO. Trijicon didn't change a thing IIRC. People eventually got over it, moved on with their lives and to this day the MRO is still a popular optic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    I'm reminded of the time when the MRO was released and some folks at M4carbine.net lost it because the optics had a bluish tint and the front lens was angled. There was huge thread about it.

Everyone wanted to know if a recall would be issued or if a new design would be coming out and it turns out that those were simply part of the design of the MRO. Trijicon didn't change a thing IIRC. People eventually got over it, moved on with their lives and to this day the MRO is still a popular optic.

Although I have heard (don't have one to verify) that the newer production MROs have been re-designed so there's less fish eye distortion.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Although I have heard (don't have one to verify) that the newer production MROs have been re-designed so there's less fish eye distortion.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    I forgot about the fisheye issue. There was a revision but it still wasn't a major change. People either accepted its issues or bought another optic. I wouldn't hold my breath expecting Aimpoint to issue a recall for this.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not my line of work, but I understand the SF guys change their batteries every day, when they are doing stuff. Hard to imagine they go verify zero every day they change batteries.

In all my years of shooting Aimpoints, I have never seen or heard of a zero change from a battery change. Frankly, this thread is the first I have heard of a possible zero change from changing a battery on a top or side loading (battery) optic. I have never observed a zero shift in my many DP Pro optics. I have never heard of another competitor discussing zero shift after a battery change in an optic that can get a fresh battery without removing the optic.

As a practical matter, I verify zero in every range session, but not because I changed a battery.
    I’m not saying it has happened. I’m just saying, when I change batteries in my red dots, I go verify zero. Folks can do what they want.

So, FUD... got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Yeah, but they should do that for a quantifiable reason, like shooting a handgun is a perishable skill. They shouldn’t feel the need to go for some superstitious reason such as the tail of an orange cat brushed your left leg after 6pm on the sabbath or they replaced the battery on an their Acro.
    Guess I’m just superstitious. It’s not going to hurt to do it. I’m not telling folks they need to do it. It’s just what I do.

User Tag List