Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Acro battery life thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I assume yours is one of the updated models, correct?
    Yes, and I still haven't changed the battery. The difference in battery life on 7 instead of 8 seems to be very substantial. I've always been able to use dots at a lower brightness than most people. Maybe there's a Swedish engineer with eyes like mine.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Yes, and I still haven't changed the battery. The difference in battery life on 7 instead of 8 seems to be very substantial. I've always been able to use dots at a lower brightness than most people. Maybe there's a Swedish engineer with eyes like mine.
    The battery consumption is exponential. Every notch up is an exponential factor more of power draw. So if you can live with it on 7 you might well get that year out of the battery.
    3/15/2016

So I've decided to get an RDS pistol. Turning 42 and pilot eyes that aren't what they used to be have made me realize an RDS pistol is inevitable, so why not just get one and start practicing.

Debating between the RMR and the ACRO, with preference probably being for the ACRO. Are there any downsides to the ACRO other than battery life? Weighing all the pros/cons that I see of ACROs/RMRs/Holosuns, I think I'd prefer the ruggedness and closed emitter of the ACRO. While the battery life is an issue, since I can replace them with the sight mounted, it doesn't seem like a big deal to me (cost isn't an issue for me).

My preferred pistol is an HK P30LS, so I'd have to get the slide milled. For future proofing, I figure Aimpoint will figure out/improve the battery life at some point while likely keeping the same mounting footprint as the ACRO.

Thoughts from those with more first hand knowledge on the ACRO?

The Acro has the disadvantage of bulk, but almost every other advantage, especially for use in all weather. I would probably wait a few months before picking up a new one.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The Acro has the disadvantage of bulk, but almost every other advantage, especially for use in all weather. I would probably wait a few months before picking up a new one.
    Why wait? Are there rumors of more upgrades or revisions from Aimpoint?

The rumor I heard was a 2032 battery version which is somehow also more streamlined.

It would seem that with everything RDS-related, "just wait a few more months" for the Next Big Thing seems to be the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    The rumor I heard was a 2032 battery version which is somehow also more streamlined.

It would seem that with everything RDS-related, "just wait a few more months" for the Next Big Thing seems to be the answer.
    I heard the same rumor at SHOT: the rep at the booth said no changes planned, but a couple of reps who were doing a raffle at Leathernecks bar said an upgraded 2032 version was expected summer/fall 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    I heard the same rumor at SHOT: the rep at the booth said no changes planned, but a couple of reps who were doing a raffle at Leathernecks bar said an upgraded 2032 version was expected summer/fall 2020.
    Any idea if that will use the same footprint? I want an ACRO, but I’m hesitant to send a slide off to get cut for one right now.

Battery just kills it for me. An upgraded one would probably sway me to buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Any idea if that will use the same footprint? I want an ACRO, but I’m hesitant to send a slide off to get cut for one right now.
    They didn't say. The reps at Leathernecks just said something was in the works and that they would hold off on purchasing an ACRO until summer/fall, while the rep at the SHOT booth said there were no plans for any redesign. The guy at SHOT had a shady used-car vibe: when I asked directly if there were any plans for an upgraded model, he said I was "dancing around the battery life issue" and went on to say that the reports of short battery life were due to people "not knowing how to use" red dots and turning them up to too high of a setting...

I did pick up an ACRO for my training gun, since I'm not too concerned about battery life, but I'm waiting to get one for my carry until I see if something new is coming. Fingers crossed...

User Tag List