Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Acro battery life thread

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    To save people listening, Aimpoint rep says we “want you to turn it on and leave it on. At normal daylighting setting, 7, it will last a year.”
    Just after that he said at setting 10 you are talking days instead of years.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Site Supporter
    Battery that came in the box installed in ACRO on May 16 and is still running. The optic is on setting 9 in the daytime and setting 7 at night. I change it at sunset and sunrise-ish. When I start thinking about whether or not I need sunglasses, I think of the optic and adjust it when I have a chance.

From what I was told by the rep, I expected 30 days of use and hoped for 90 with those settings. We will see. With the exponential power demands as the optic gets brighter, I hoped to use settings 6 and 8, but light colored targets and shooting toward the sun makes 9 necessary for me in bright daylight. I found 7 was best indoors with bright flashlights or bright overheads in buildings, so it is my night setting.

I am surely biased, because of the issues I have had with RMRs in the rain, and rain after dust and pollen collection in the lens. The ACRO has no such issues and because of the clear glass, the irons are much easier to pick up if the optic is dirty, wet, and not projecting the dot. For me, the short battery life is worth it.

That being said, I remember when Aimpoint Comp Ms had only 100 or so hours of battery life, too. You either left the optic off, or changed the battery every two weeks and those 1/3Ns were hard to find and seemed expensive at the time. For a time, I would load the rifle when it came out of the rack in the squad car, deal with the sling, and then spin the dial on the optic. We ran fixed irons with a lower 1/3 co-witness, then. I decided to buy batteries not long into that process.

I ran a DPP on a G19 for a while and changed the battery monthly. I run LPVO on my rifles now and change the batteries if I have spent any time with the dot turned on, which is rare. I also change the batteries in my flashlights pretty often, just like I changed batteries in NVDs, thermal sights, and aiming lasers, overseas.

I get the fact that people expected Aimpoint longevity on a realistic daylight setting, but I don't think it means the optic is not duty capable. It may not be your preference, though.

Quote Originally Posted by azant View Post
    Battery that came in the box installed in ACRO on May 16 and is still running.
    30+ days in. Sounds good. Please keep us updated on when/why you change the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by azant View Post
    I have had with RMRs in the rain, and rain after dust and pollen collection in the lens. The ACRO has no such issues and because of the clear glass, the irons are much easier to pick up if the optic is dirty, wet....I also change the batteries in my flashlights pretty often, just like I changed batteries in NVDs, thermal sights, and aiming lasers, overseas. I get the fact that people expected Aimpoint longevity on a realistic daylight setting, but I don't think it means the optic is not duty capable..
    Thanks for bringing some first-hand experience (and common sense) to the thread.

Azant, solid info. Your experience mirrors mine. If you’re getting 30 days with 9 during the day and 7 at night (the settings I’ve found work best for me as well) I’m pretty happy. ¢.60 and a battery change once a month is a non issue for me on a duty weapon. With LPVOs taking the lead on working rifles it’s about the same schedule for battery maintenance. I’ll be happy when the technology catches up and an ACRO like optic becomes available with T-1 like battery life but this seems workable for now.
    Last edited by TCB; 06-17-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TCB View Post
    ¢.60 and a battery change once a month is a non issue for me on a duty weapon.
    +1 It reminds me of a story from a veteran of too many gunfights to count across many deployments. On his camp in AFG in 2013 was a task force or SEALs, Rangers, and Delta elements. He said 80% were rocking EOTs. Their batteries were less than $0.60.
    If the optic delivers like others do not, there you go.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

It'd be nice if Aimpoint added a motion sensor to the ACRO like the DPP has. That would immediately provide a gain in battery life just due to the 8+ hours a day when most people have their gun stored, motionless. I've never had a problem with the motion sensor on my DPP's not turning the sight on, and I can't remember reading about anyone saying their DPP's motion sensor failed, either.
    Last edited by CleverNickname; 06-17-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    It'd be nice if Aimpoint added a motion sensor to the ACRO like the DPP has. That would immediately provide a gain in battery life just due to the 8+ hours a day when most people have their gun stored, motionless. I've never had a problem with the motion sensor on my DPP's not turning the sight on, and I can't remember reading about anyone saying their DPP's motion sensor failed, either.
    Those of us shooting DeltaPoint Pro optics for multiple years have had numerous failures of the Pro’s motion sensor. Enough so, I would never trust a legacy Pro for EDC. Leupold has chosen a different technology for future Pro optics, and I am running three prototype Pros with the new technology.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Even Gabe has decided to chime in on this topic.

https://gabesuarez.com/the-truth-abo...-aimpoint-acro

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Looks like he got all his "various social Media posts" from this very thread....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Sellers View Post
    Looks like he got all his "various social Media posts" from this very thread....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    He is a registered user, as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List