Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for the Experts - Can I do this?

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Damn...That is something that I wouldn't have considered. I'm not much of a striker because I prefer to avoid constant and repeated long term head trauma.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Head trauma is certainly the biggest issue with training striking as a first line response for sure. But there are other ones almost as bad as well. Destroying your shoulders and your wrists from the constant pounding is another. Both the lateral connecting ligaments on both sides of both of my wrists are severed. It can be excruciating at times just doing normal stuff.

I wish we knew this stuff back in 1980 when I started this journey.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    Head trauma is certainly the biggest issue with training striking as a first line response for sure. But there are other ones almost as bad as well. Destroying your shoulders and your wrists from the constant pounding is another. Both the lateral connecting ligaments on both sides of both of my wrists are severed. It can be excruciating at times just doing normal stuff.

I wish we knew this stuff back in 1980 when I started this journey.
    I hit pads and shields for about 45 minutes last night and everything joint wise from my shoulders down hurts today.

Side note, a lot of good fighters do not spar heavy often, certainly not as often as people used to think was needed. Cowboy Cerrone on the Joe Rogan pod cast said he didn't spar hard any more. Just light contact for timing and distance. The concussive nature of striking has always been a limiting factor in training. The body can only take so much abuse and head strikes aside, the damage sustained from hard sparring makes having a life hard.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I dislocated both of my shoulders, the left one twice, when I was younger but I was able to train in a martial art for over 25 years after that without too much trouble. There was one incident in which I had a painful episode with that left one again at a training event and I had to refrain from training for a while.

I still work strengthening exercises with my shoulders regularly to keep them from weakening.

User Tag List