Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Die brand preference?

Die brand preference?

This weekend I bought a Ruger American Ranch in 300 BO, the first new caliber I've added since maybe the 1990s. Back then I loaded a lot of ammo in 221 Fireball, 223, and 308 in Redding dies, so that's what I was thinking about buying now. I also eventually plan on building a pistol in 300. I plan on using factory brass and don't plan on forming any.
    I'm wondering what are the current opinions on rifle die brands.

Site Supporter
    In full die sets, I've only used RCBS and Lee. I'll never buy another RCBS set again. I just switched from RCBS to Lee for my 35Whelen loads (the Lee set wasn't available when I purchased the RCBS set).

ETA: To expand a bit on why I dislike RCBS...
    RCBS is the only FL die in which I've stuck cases. RCBS is the only die in which I've broken decapping pins. RCBS dies are a PITA to adjust. Their setscrew-equipped lockrings are nice though.

For all the claims that Lee dies aren't "good enough", I've yet to witness any deficiencies.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 05-26-2019 at 10:22 AM.

My personal preferences are Redding and RCBS die sets although I have also had good luck with Hornady Match Grade and Lee Precision.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Oh boy...it’s like the “who makes the best pickup” debate...

For general utility use, I’ve always been happy with LEE. For precision rifle stuff, I’m partial to Forster. I like the adjustment knobs on the Lee for bullet seating etc, vs. the threaded rod of say RCBS. Just easier to use IMHO. Honestly...for general use...I think CNC machining being the norm that is is...you really can’t go wrong with any of them these days.

FWIW, my .300BO dies are Lee.

I’ve used everything except for the really expensive stuff. For mass production, I really like the stuck case extraction capability of Dillon dies.
    #RESIST

For bottleneck rifle calibers I'm fully on board the Redding train with Forster a very close second.

If it was me I’d invest in Dillon dies and a Dillon 650 and never look back. Worth it in the long run I think.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl65...8_1_23803.html
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I don't buy die sets for rifle reloading. I buy Redding bushing dies and bushings and remove the neck sizing button, this die just preps the neck for the expander. I buy a Sinclair neck expander to set final neck ID. And I buy a Forster micrometer seater die.

Been reloading precision rifle ammunition since 2003 and this method has never failed to deliver.

I use Lee for almost everything. I have had spectacular precision rifle accuracy from Lee collet neck sizing dies. Lee is like the Glock of reloading dies.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Lee is all I have used.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List