Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad batch of primers?

I've had this happen on range brass, never on brass that I have loaded. I don't understand why anyone wet tumbles brass, especially pistol brass. It adds a lot more work and time to reloading ammo. I throw fired brass in the tumbler, then it can go directly to the reloading press. Guess I'm lazier than some and don't require super polished brass.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete 10 View Post
    I've had this happen on range brass, never on brass that I have loaded. I don't understand why anyone wet tumbles brass, especially pistol brass. It adds a lot more work and time to reloading ammo. I throw fired brass in the tumbler, then it can go directly to the reloading press. Guess I'm lazier than some and don't require super polished brass.
    I’m pretty lazy about it; I throw fired brass in the tumbler with some really hot water, citric acid, and car wash a la @LittleLebowski method, turn it on for 30 minutes, pour through some peach crate strainers to get rid of the dirty water, and pour the brass on a towel to dry via the “bowling ball polishing method”. Then I leave it on the towel on the garage floor for anywhere from a week to a month depending on my travel schedule. When I get back I check a couple and then store it in a mil 50 cal ammo can.

I’ve tried walnut shells, corn cobb, lizard bedding, etc in a lyman vibratory tumbler over my first couple of years reloading. Never going back. Way too easy wet.

And the work is about the same. No cleanup of media like dry tumbling. But the time is an order of magnitude quicker wet tumbling. Better results in 30 minutes of hot water than 8 hrs of corn cobb.
    Last edited by TOTS; 06-15-2019 at 03:28 PM.

The best way is labor intensive but worth it if doing large bulk quantities. Dry tumble for a couple of hours. Then process. Then wet tumble and dry. No worries on how long it sits. But if I'm not doing at least 5K I'm not messing with it, I'll just dry tumble and load on a progressive.

User Tag List