Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Think I Hate Google More Than I Hate iPhones

I don't think your issue really has anything to do with Android vs iPhone.

I've had several iPhones and several Android devices and at this point they are both so capable that choosing between them really comes down to preference or if you have several other Google or Apple devices in your home.

That said, I have been avoiding Samsung's version of Android since Google released their Pixel line of phones. Android gets a reputation as being complicated and hard to use, but most of that comes from the skins that manufacturers put on top of the operating system. The Pixel line doesn't have this, and has a very simplistic user experience that is similar to that of IOS.

I would love to dump apple; they're vigorously opposed to much of what I stand for. The trouble is that so is everybody else. When I can get an ethically clean phone served by an ethically clean carrier, I might go for it.

Android v. iPhone

When I made the transition to smart phones, I went with Android devices. I had a Google phone and later a Motorola. Both phones would lock up from time to time and start to do all sorts of strange stuff that wouldn't stop until the phone was turned off. I was also wary of all the apps that insisted on access to my data at all times, even when the app was not in use. I finally ditched the Android phones for an iPhone 5s and haven't looked back since. The iPhones have been trouble free and share data with my Macs and iPad. I'm currently using an iPhone 8 and will likely upgrade when the new models come out later this year. I've been a Mac user since the 1980's and initially went with Android to avoid having all my eggs in one basket.
    Last edited by LtDave; 06-12-2019 at 10:44 AM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

What's going to happen when the price of an iphone jumps 25%?

I don't own one but I hear they're pretty pricey already.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    It’s a one time cost for me. I’ve “still” (2+ years is a long time time in the smartphone world) got a 7 Plus but I have no plans to upgrade. When I break this one I’ll shell out for the latest version and rock that til I break it too. It costs what it costs - Apple’s already got all my stuff and I’m not inclined to start over. Which I’m sure Apple is counting on.

Now my dad still rocks a 5, every time I see it I think of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, cool guys carry the 5c. (And wear polyester leisure suits. Chicks dig 'em.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

My personal phone is a rooted Motorola G5 Plus. It’ a midrange phone (read: not as expensive) purchased unlocked from Amazon, and Motorola runs pretty much stock Android. They also have a factory-provided bootloader unlock if you want to root your phone. I think most of the problems people have with Androids (especially my parents ) is they use carrier-provided phones with bloatware on top of manufacturer “skins”. Stick to a basic android implementation and get good apps, not the crappy carrier- or manufacturer-developed ones.

I also have an iphone 8 provided by work. Good hardware, but suffers from the typical Apple attitude of “you will only do the things we will let you do, the way we let you do them”. FFS, could they at least provide an option of “go back to mailbox” after deleting an email, like every other mail client ever, instead of just defaulting to “advance to next message” and not giving you a choice?

I prefer most things about the android, one major reason being that I can automate a lot of things via Tasker. Vibrate mode turns on or off based on location, for example. Can’t do that on an iphone; you have to set this manually each time through the stock interface. I really wish I could set “do not disturb” on the iphone via a more complex schedule than just fixed hours each day; I’d disable notifications on my days off.

A lot of the fancy sync-across-devices features are disabled by my employer’s security stuff so I can’t benefit from them anyway. I do use that phone for a lot of stuff but only because it has unlimited data and I share a 2GB plan with my wife on the personal phone.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by gtae07 View Post
    My personal phone is a rooted Motorola G5 Plus. It’ a midrange phone (read: not as expensive) purchased unlocked from Amazon, and Motorola runs pretty much stock Android. They also have a factory-provided bootloader unlock if you want to root your phone. I think most of the problems people have with Androids (especially my parents ) is they use carrier-provided phones with bloatware on top of manufacturer “skins”. Stick to a basic android implementation and get good apps, not the crappy carrier- or manufacturer-developed ones.

I also have an iphone 8 provided by work. Good hardware, but suffers from the typical Apple attitude of “you will only do the things we will let you do, the way we let you do them”. FFS, could they at least provide an option of “go back to mailbox” after deleting an email, like every other mail client ever, instead of just defaulting to “advance to next message” and not giving you a choice?

I prefer most things about the android, one major reason being that I can automate a lot of things via Tasker. Vibrate mode turns on or off based on location, for example. Can’t do that on an iphone; you have to set this manually each time through the stock interface. I really wish I could set “do not disturb” on the iphone via a more complex schedule than just fixed hours each day; I’d disable notifications on my days off.

A lot of the fancy sync-across-devices features are disabled by my employer’s security stuff so I can’t benefit from them anyway. I do use that phone for a lot of stuff but only because it has unlimited data and I share a 2GB plan with my wife on the personal phone.
    And this is part of where I think going to an iPhone has helped me realize that smartphones, even today, are a huge fricking waste of time and far more of a pain in the ass than they’re worth.

Complex enabling/disabling of notifications, alerts, and other crap? Screw that noise. Personally my phone is almost always on vibrate, almost all notifications are disabled, and then menus to turn certain things on or off are simple and easy to get to, despite how infrequently I use them.

If I’m busy or it’s the weekend, there’s a good chance that a fully charged battery can get me through 2 straight days. My life seems to be happier and better off for it if that happens. I’ve contemplated going back to a dumb phone and just migrating to a tablet for screwing around on the internet at the house on more than one occasion. If it weren’t for CDs going the way of the Dodo, that might actually be a real thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iPhone is the easy button. However, enginerd types that think they need to tinker and snowflake the shit out of everything because:moar-better typically have problems with them, at least initially (as I did). if you just let it happen, they are stupid easy. and, as painful as it can be to swallow, you can actually go to the apple store, sit with one of their "geniuses", and actually get your shit fixed from a face-to-face human.

ETA:
    Apple is also the ubiquitous solution, which these days pretty much equals better. We have one aging superintendent on one of our projects right now fighting our corporate PM software isn't working right on his stupid antiquated google phone. If he had an iPhone, even of the same vintage, he'd be having zero issues because the app (like pretty much all apps) are optimized for the ubiquitous not the google.
    Last edited by rob_s; 06-13-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    And this is part of where I think going to an iPhone has helped me realize that smartphones, even today, are a huge fricking waste of time and far more of a pain in the ass than they’re worth.
    I agree. The times when I need to call/text someone for an urgent matter I never get them. If I call/text to ask them if it's raining at their location then I get an answer.
    --Jason--

User Tag List