Thread: Quick question for you snubbie fans..

Quick question for you snubbie fans..

I have a older (probably made around1968 going by the serial #) mfg S&W Mod 37 no dash..Is thing rated for +p ammo, or should I just stick with standard velocity .38? Mainly it sits in the nightstand, I 've not shot it much since I bought it, (back in the early 90's) was just wondering if it could handle them, in case I'd need to use it..After watching the snub interview, I'm kinda wanting one to carry in a coat pocket in the fall/winter months, in addition to my EDC.. I'm thinking I want a hammerless snub anyway, so this one will probably continue to live in the nightstand along with the P7..
    Last edited by ralph; 06-11-2019 at 05:40 PM.

Without digging out my copy of the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson, I'm going to say it's not +P rated if it's a 1968 production.

But I've been wrong before...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Model 37s weren't +P rated until the late 90s or 2000s. The 37-2 I bought new in 2005 was NOT +P rated. The most obvious visual difference with a +P rated j-frame is the use of the J-Magnum frame vs the regular frame.

At least mine was deemed safe to use with +Ps by S&W (I called). That said, why not just use target wadcutters and remove the risk?

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 06-11-2019 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Model 37s weren't +P rated until the late 90s or 2000s. The 37-2 I bought new in 2005 was NOT +P rated. The most obvious visual difference with a +P rated j-frame is the use of the J-Magnum frame vs the regular frame.

At least mine was deemed safe to use with +Ps by S&W (I called). That said, why not just use target wadcutters and remove the risk?

Chris
    I probably will, I just wanted to know if this thing was +p rated, being made in around 1968, I did'nt think it was, so, I thought I'd ask..I'll probably just buy one that's +p rated..Aim surplus has some good prices on several models right now..

Yes, none of the old aluminum guns were +p rated. The old steel guns technically weren't either, usually, but they could handle it easily. You're looking at mid-90's before you get the magnum-style frames in the aluminum guns.

Site Supporter
    It’s not going to blow up if you run a cylinder of +p through it to see where it hits and then never do it again except for in an emergency. Continued use will accelerate wear and likely will result in premature failure. I’d just use standard pressure or wadcutters.

I don’t want to use +p in an airweight or lighter Jframe. I’ve done it in one rated for it, but don’t intend to do it again unless, as the last time I bought a box of +p JHP for my 642, circumstances deprive me of my preferred carry ammo and the only non-round nose lead available is the +p 125gr JHP. Walmart was the only place to buy ammo on a Sunday morning in Salt Lake when I stopped there on my way from the airport. Gun ran fine with them and hit ywhere i pointed the muzzle, but my wrist disliked it and resented it far more than the gun did.

User Tag List